• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is John Locke?

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
That's just the title of this commentary written and posted on Townhall.com by Joseph C. Collins. It's not particularly controversial or a subject of debate, but I thought some of you may enjoy reading it and thinking about his questions and observations.

Last edited:

:mrgreen:

I am willing to wager my house that not one of my son’s seventh-grade classmates could identify John Locke in a photo.

Who wouldn't be willing to wager there house on that?

He died over 100 years before photos existed. (Just sayin' :lol

Also, I'd be willing to wager that the same number of 7th and 8th graders probably wouldn't be able to identify James Madison by looking at a painting of him. That's infinitely more disturbing to me considering that Locke's philosophies are probably over the heads of most 7th and 8th graders, but knowing who "the father of the constitution" is, Bill of Rights, a bunch of the federalist papers, was the fourth president of the US is something that a child of that age is fully capable of grasping.

****, most adults couldn't pick Madison out of a lineup of paintings. Not to mention not being able to identify Locke.

Case in point: I wasn't a fan of "Lost". I never watched a single episode.

Well, my wife and about 6 of her friends were discussing that show in front of me one day and they kept talking about the John Locke character. I innocently asked if the John Locke character had similar philosophies on the show as the real John Locke did. The only person who knew who I was talking about was my wife. The rest looked at me like I had Quato from total recall sticking out of my chest.

Now, a few of these were people with Masters degrees. All in their late 20's and early 30's.

Essentially what I'm saying is that 7th and 8th graders are one thing, and it's not really all that bad when you think about it. They wouldn't understand it anyway. Granted, I don't think there is an epidemic of Junior High students flashing around Marx paintings either, but I might be wrong on that. It would mean that there are a lot more politically astute 8th graders around than there were when I was in 8th grade though.

What is terrible is that there are ****loads of people my age who don't know who Locke is.

:mrgreen:

Beat me to it. :mrgreen:

Since it is widely known that many of the LOST characters names' were based on historical figures, one can hope more than a handful of people bothered to look up John Locke and find out who the real man was, out of intrest in the show.

Who wouldn't be willing to wager there house on that?

He died over 100 years before photos existed. (Just sayin' :lol

George Washington died some 35-40 years before the photograph came into existence, but I bet I could pick him out of a line-up- just sayin'.

George Washington died some 35-40 years before the photograph came into existence, but I bet I could pick him out of a line-up- just sayin'.

Yes, but "I am willing to wager my house that" you would not be able to "identify" him "in a photo."

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…