• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where has "god" been lately?

That's about when the Book of Genesis was written, wasn't it? About 4,000 years ago?

I see. Written by people who had no idea about the history of the universe or the Earth.

Let's start with let there be light.

The Early Universe
After the Big Bang, the universe was like a hot soup of particles (i.e. protons, neutrons, and electrons). When the universe started cooling, the protons and neutrons began combining into ionized atoms of hydrogen (and eventually some helium). These ionized atoms of hydrogen and helium attracted electrons, turning them into neutral atoms - which allowed light to travel freely for the first time, since this light was no longer scattering off free electrons. The universe was no longer opaque! However, it would still be some time (perhaps up to a few hundred million years post-Big Bang!) before the first sources of light would start to form, ending the cosmic dark ages.
https://jwst.nasa.gov/firstlight.html

Has “god” done anything in the past 100 years that even remotely equals in scope any of the things “god” has been credited with doing roughly 2000-ish years ago, and/or any time previous to then?

Can you site an instance, a date, a specific occurrence that was almost undeniably "god" making "his/her" presence known?
Again, in the last 100 years?

Now I know I'll get some answers that are in the realm of:

"If you can't see them it's because you're not looking."
"If you're not open to them, you won't find them."

That's very vague.

I'm looking for a specific incident. Something where a history book 2000 years from now will suggest that yes, "god" did indeed have a hand in ____________ happen during the mid-1900's to early 2000's.

I think God is very frustrated. He got things started with Adam and Eve in the garden, but when they broke his rules after being pampered, he redid everything and sent them out into the wild to survive. Things immediately went off the rails and the whole planet turned wicked so he had it flooded and restarted everything with a flood. People soon turned mostly wicked again and this time he sort of took a break until he tried to restart everything again with Abraham.

Instead of another flood, since he promised no more floods, he would create a righteous nation. He was going to take it slow with Abraham and give the nation time to get started. He got things kicking with Moses and even got them their own country. However, they were constantly disobeying him and he gradually lost interested and interacted with them less and less. He tried to shake them into their senses with being captured by Babylon, which really didn't work, so he took some time off.

He then sent down Jesus to try to make a nice peaceful pacifist religion with no built-in theocracy this time, rather than his old-style strict rule-based religion. But even though Christianity really took off, they eventually turned into a bunch of theocratic barbarians in the dark ages and made that monstrosity, the Catholic church. Since then, he has completely given up, and figures that he will wrap everything up with some end-of -the-world stuff when we have sufficiently turned our planet into a hellhole.

I support it because it is in God's Word and I have studied the Scriptures enough to believe that 1914 is the year pointed to through Bible chronology and the events since 1914 are in fulfillment of prophecy....

And, why do you think it's 'God's word'?? The 'signs' it reveals are using the technquie of vague references and overly symbolic language that can refer to many things. It's sort of an inkblot for people looking for signs

And what are you up to, guy? Saving people from those who would save people.
Your evangelism is worse, however, as it is grounded in narcissism instead of humility.

Saving them from what?

I apologize. Its my fault

She has been, ummm, "relaxing" at my place

BTW, not only can she do anything, she will do anything

Damn it! No wonder I haven't been able to get parking spaces easily lately.

And it’s quite acceptable to believe that an unknowable force – if it even exists – somehow inspired men and scribes which words to write. Nobody can ever take that from you.

OM

The Holy Spirit is only unknowable to the unregenerate. I've had a number of encounters with the Holy Spirit, including him enveloping me in a white cloud full of love in my living room, at which time he gave me a word of knowledge that a particular thing would be revealed to me in 21 days. Which it was, but in a way I wasn't expecting.

Saving them from what?
I say, "saving people from those who would save people," and you ask "from what?"
From what follows the "from" in the sentence of course.
What's your deal?

I say, "saving people from those who would save people," and you ask "from what?"
From what follows the "from" in the sentence of course.
What's your deal?

What are 'those who would save people', saving people from?

I think God is very frustrated. He got things started with Adam and Eve in the garden, but when they broke his rules after being pampered, he redid everything and sent them out into the wild to survive. Things immediately went off the rails and the whole planet turned wicked so he had it flooded and restarted everything with a flood. People soon turned mostly wicked again and this time he sort of took a break until he tried to restart everything again with Abraham.

Instead of another flood, since he promised no more floods, he would create a righteous nation. He was going to take it slow with Abraham and give the nation time to get started. He got things kicking with Moses and even got them their own country. However, they were constantly disobeying him and he gradually lost interested and interacted with them less and less. He tried to shake them into their senses with being captured by Babylon, which really didn't work, so he took some time off.

He then sent down Jesus to try to make a nice peaceful pacifist religion with no built-in theocracy this time, rather than his old-style strict rule-based religion. But even though Christianity really took off, they eventually turned into a bunch of theocratic barbarians in the dark ages and made that monstrosity, the Catholic church. Since then, he has completely given up, and figures that he will wrap everything up with some end-of -the-world stuff when we have sufficiently turned our planet into a hellhole.

That's quite an interesting position you have there.
Certainly makes sense in many ways.

I don't buy in to the whole "Adam and Eve" thing as being literal, but I can surely accept that if there was a god who started all this, it's absolutely possible that "god" has long given up on us.

Correction...I said the actions in heaven, of Satan and his demons being thrown out, had/have a direct effect on what has gone on on the earth since that time...there is a difference...

Lets quote a few things here shall we?

I specifically asked you one simple question on your post about WW1. Here it is:

You're suggesting "god" is responsible for starting WW1????

To which you responded with one simple sentence:

Jesus' actions in heaven are responsible, yes...

It's quite clear what you said.

The Holy Spirit is only unknowable to the unregenerate. I've had a number of encounters with the Holy Spirit, including him enveloping me in a white cloud full of love in my living room, at which time he gave me a word of knowledge that a particular thing would be revealed to me in 21 days. Which it was, but in a way I wasn't expecting.

Religious euphoria has been around longer than the concept of monotheism.

OM

That's quite an interesting position you have there.
Certainly makes sense in many ways.

I don't buy in to the whole "Adam and Eve" thing as being literal, but I can surely accept that if there was a god who started all this, it's absolutely possible that "god" has long given up on us.

The original "Adam and Eve" oral tradition was a cautionary tale and allegorical reference to the onset of agrarian cultures. The nomadic originators of the tales were confounded as to how humans could enslave themselves to the same plot of land for their entire lives, when they believe that their God would provide everything.

OM

Has “god” done anything in the past 100 years that even remotely equals in scope any of the things “god” has been credited with doing roughly 2000-ish years ago, and/or any time previous to then?

Can you site an instance, a date, a specific occurrence that was almost undeniably "god" making "his/her" presence known?
Again, in the last 100 years?

Now I know I'll get some answers that are in the realm of:

"If you can't see them it's because you're not looking."
"If you're not open to them, you won't find them."

That's very vague.

I'm looking for a specific incident. Something where a history book 2000 years from now will suggest that yes, "god" did indeed have a hand in ____________ happen during the mid-1900's to early 2000's.

He gave his people, the jews, their land back after 2000 years of pograms and against overwhelming odds, right after one of the worst genocides in history.

Once they rebuild their temple....who could doubt God then? He loves his jews, as he says in Isaiah "For you will forget the shame of your youth, and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood. 5For your husband is your Maker— the LORD of Hosts is His name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; He is called the God of all the earth. 6For the LORD has called you back, like a wife deserted and wounded in spirit, the wife of one’s youth when she is rejected,” says your God"

Back
Top Bottom