• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where has "god" been lately?

No I'm not going to read scriptures.

So if Satan is freely roaming the earth where is "god"?
Why would "god" allow that to happen?

You're suggesting "god" is basically killing millions upon millions for what? Just for giggles?

That's YOUR loving "god"????

Of course there had never been turmoil on Earth before 1914.

Of course there had never been turmoil on Earth before 1914.

This is as of 1982...

“This has been the bloodiest century in the history of the human race. It has suffered through 59 wars between nations with over 29 million combat dead, and 64 civil wars with almost six million casualties​—not mentioning the tens of millions of civilians slaughtered on the side. This is the meaning of war.”--James Reston-The New York Times of May 30, 1982

You're suggesting "god" is basically killing millions upon millions for what? Just for giggles?

Then I cannot answer your questions...

Has “god” done anything in the past 100 years that even remotely equals in scope any of the things “god” has been credited with doing roughly 2000-ish years ago, and/or any time previous to then?

Can you site an instance, a date, a specific occurrence that was almost undeniably "god" making "his/her" presence known?
Again, in the last 100 years?

Now I know I'll get some answers that are in the realm of:

"If you can't see them it's because you're not looking."
"If you're not open to them, you won't find them."

That's very vague.

I'm looking for a specific incident. Something where a history book 2000 years from now will suggest that yes, "god" did indeed have a hand in ____________ happen during the mid-1900's to early 2000's.

Thousands of testimonies from people who'd had experienced Him.

Many people desire miracles from God. They want God to perform miracles to “prove” Himself to them. “If only God would perform a miracle, sign, or wonder, then I would believe!” This idea, though, is contradicted by Scripture. When God performed amazing and powerful miracles for the Israelites, did that cause them to obey Him? No, the Israelites constantly disobeyed and rebelled against God even though they saw all the miracles.

Jesus performed countless miracles, yet the vast majority of people did not believe in Him. If God performed miracles today as He did in the past, the result would be the same. People would be amazed and would believe in God for a short time. That faith would be shallow and would disappear the moment something unexpected or frightening occurred. A faith based on miracles is not a mature faith.

God performed the greatest “God miracle” of all time in coming to earth as the Man Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins (Romans 5:8) so that we could be saved (John 3:16). God does still perform miracles—many of them simply go unnoticed or are denied.

We now have the truth of Jesus recorded in Scripture. We now have the writings of the apostles recorded in Scripture. Jesus and His apostles, as recorded in Scripture, are the cornerstone and foundation of our faith (Ephesians 2:20). In this sense, miracles are no longer necessary, as the message of Jesus and His apostles has already been attested to and accurately recorded in the Scriptures.
Yes, God still performs miracles.
https://www.gotquestions.org/miracles-Bible.html

Last edited:
I tend to believe history and secular academics over socio-political dogma.

OM

And that's ok...I choose God's Word...

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16,17

Common ground: Why are American fundamentalist Christians more likely to believe something is the work of the Devil and not God?

For time my Christian-family owned and operated gym stopped yoga classes since fundamentalists said it was pushing a heathen religion. I pointed out that it was just exercise and that a person who was only interested in exercise was not being a heathen. I also pointed out that, if God was truly all knowing and all merciful, that if someone was giving away free Justin Bieber t-shirts at a concert and, in very small letters and in Aramaic, was written "by wearing this t-shirt I give my soul to Satan", would God really let that happen? I think not.

A lot of fundies think God re-created Israel after WWII. That was a prophecy. Interesting that most of them HATE the UN.

The UN was okay in the late 1940's when Israel was declared a nation. But since then they sided with the enemies of Israel, declaring Israel a terrorist state, and giving a free pass to Hezbollah and Hamas who are the real terrorists.

And that and other reasons are why a lot of fundies and others don't like the UN anymore.

Here's an example of that on today's news: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/haley-set-for-un-showdown-over-historic-vote-to-condemn-hamas

Capisce?

Last edited:
Why are American fundamentalist Christians more likely to believe something is the work of the Devil and not God?

Great question. Indirectly it pretty much falls in with my OP.

If the Devil is running roughshod over the Earth right now, there's only one reason why it's happening. "God" is allowing it.
It's also easily within "god's" ability to fix it, or stop it, but obviously "god" has no plans to.

Of course the easy fall-back response is "god works in mysterious ways".

So why was "god" so active 2000-ish years ago in the daily lives of a small portion of people, in a remote area of the planet, but isn't active now when there's billions more around who could use "god's" help?

Thousands of testimonies from people who'd had experienced Him.

Do you believe the "testimonies" of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens?

Do you believe the "testimony" of OJ Simpson that he had nothing to do with killing Nicole and Ron?

Do you believe the "testimonies" of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens?

Do you believe the "testimony" of OJ Simpson that he had nothing to do with killing Nicole and Ron?

A lot of these people - their testimonies are backed by changed, or transformed lives.

Just look at some hostile atheists who end up not only believing, but becoming active apologists for Christianity. The addict who made rehabilitation easier through the grace of God. or, the criminal who changed his ways....etc..,

Of course there would be some frauds. However, when you're talking about millions of testimonies - plus the evidence of transformed lives, yes miracles are still happening.

Last edited:
Has “god” done anything in the past 100 years that even remotely equals in scope any of the things “god” has been credited with doing roughly 2000-ish years ago, and/or any time previous to then?

Can you site an instance, a date, a specific occurrence that was almost undeniably "god" making "his/her" presence known?

That's very vague.

I'm looking for a specific incident. Something where a history book 2000 years from now will suggest that yes, "god" did indeed have a hand in ____________ happen during the mid-1900's to early 2000's.

I think you can ask that same question for time before the last 100 years. If you don't believe in God all of history can be explained away without the existence of a god.

If you have searched your soul and attained a personal knowledge of God there isn't a day that goes by that can be explained without his involvement and presence. I don't know what the history books will say, my God is a personal God that has blessed my life each and every day. That's between me and him, it doesn't need validated by anyone else.

Last edited:
my God is a personal God that has blessed my life each and every day. That's between me and him, it doesn't need validated by anyone else.

As it should be. A personal thing.

Trouble is many wish to make it a political thing, plus much more.

If people didn't think they "had to save" everyone else, this world would be a much better place.

As it should be. A personal thing.

Trouble is many wish to make it a political thing, plus much more.

If people didn't think they "had to save" everyone else, this world would be a much better place.
And what are you up to, guy? Saving people from those who would save people.
Your evangelism is worse, however, as it is grounded in narcissism instead of humility.

And that's ok...I choose God's Word...

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16,17

And it’s quite acceptable to believe that an unknowable force – if it even exists – somehow inspired men and scribes which words to write. Nobody can ever take that from you.

OM

Great question. Indirectly it pretty much falls in with my OP.

If the Devil is running roughshod over the Earth right now, there's only one reason why it's happening. "God" is allowing it.
It's also easily within "god's" ability to fix it, or stop it, but obviously "god" has no plans to.

Of course the easy fall-back response is "god works in mysterious ways".

So why was "god" so active 2000-ish years ago in the daily lives of a small portion of people, in a remote area of the planet, but isn't active now when there's billions more around who could use "god's" help?

Agreed that the Devil can only do what God allows. If not, then God isn't all powerful, all knowing nor all merciful.

Given God exists, a more likely explanation would be Deism; a "watchmaker God".

Why is it "given" that god exists?

It's a conditional statement. Obviously the sentence "a more likely explanation would be Deism; a "watchmaker God"" wouldn't make sense unless God exists.

Another example; "given each of us had a billion dollars, what would we do with it?" Obviously we can't spend what we don't have, therefore the condition is "given each of us had..."

That's very vague.

Depends on what you call a "great" things. And which interpretation of the Bible you happen to have maybe looked in or seen in a motel. The "wall of water" across the Jordan for the Israelites to cross was a 'miracle' to them. Later, in the 1920's we learn, holly molly there is a strange situation that occurs along the Jordan where debris piles up, and because of the terrain a 'wall" of water is backed up, they have pictures.

So, natural phenomenon? Maybe, but then God is all knowing, all seeing, and would have known the Israelites would need that wall since the beginning of time.

Go to an AA meeting, they maintain each day without alcohol is a 'miracle' and being one of them, so do I.

What your question is really asking is "why does God allow bad things to happen?" which is really asking 'why doesn't he eliminate all that is bad?

And there's where you need to look in the mirror and ask "have I ever done anything "bad"?

Agreed that the Devil can only do what God allows. If not, then God isn't all powerful, all knowing nor all merciful.

Given God exists, a more likely explanation would be Deism; a "watchmaker God".

Deism makes no sense. And assuming God is all powerful and all knowing makes no sense. And assuming there is only one God makes no sense.

Thinking God intended this world to be a perfect idyllic environment for our species makes no sense.

Deism makes no sense. And assuming God is all powerful and all knowing makes no sense. And assuming there is only one God makes no sense.

Thinking God intended this world to be a perfect idyllic environment for our species makes no sense.

It makes much more sense than lots of gods and why wouldn't He create a perfect idyllic environment for man? After all, what did God say at the end of the 6th day?

"After that God saw everything he had made, and look! it was very good..." Genesis 1:31

After Jehovah God had completed his earthly creative work on the six creative days, nothing was lacking for the welfare of his creation...it met his supreme standards of excellence...it was perfect...

So, in your opinion, what does make sense?

After all, what did God say at the end of the 6th day?

"After that God saw everything he had made, and look! it was very good..." Genesis 1:31

How on Earth does anyone know what "god" said on the 6th day?

And no, you can't use a bible verse to support your claim.

Who was there to document god speaking? How was it documented? Who could write then? What would they write on? What would they write with?

Grandiose claims require evidence.

Who would "they" even be?

How on Earth does anyone know what "god" said on the 6th day?

And no, you can't use a bible verse to support your claim.

Who was there to document god speaking? How was it documented? Who could write then? What would they write on? What would they write with?

Grandiose claims require evidence.

Who would "they" even be?

I can give anything I want to support my claim since I was not talking to you...

Back
Top Bottom