• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where do you get your political news from?

How do you get your political news:

• Newspaper

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Television

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Magazines

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Internet

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • Social Media

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Let's see why posters believe certain news sources are truthful and others lie and disagree on which is which. Is it because you trust amateur messages on social media to be accurate about everything? Is "bias" to you when sources usually say what you disagree with? Or do you accept the obvious fact that if most or all of the news source's people do agree with you, it is equally biased and just as wrong about every topic?

List the news sources you rely on from most to least often. If possible, include this bias ranking based on your experiences with them and explain why:

1 - Not biased
2 - Slightly biased
3 - Very biased
4 - I don't know

Smoke signals... exclusively.

What kind of political news source is a smoke signal?

Let's see why posters believe certain news sources are truthful and others lie and disagree on which is which. Is it because you trust amateur messages on social media to be accurate about everything? Is "bias" to you when sources usually say what you disagree with? Or do you accept the obvious fact that if most or all of the news source's people do agree with you, it is equally biased and just as wrong about every topic?

List the news sources you rely on from most to least often. If possible, include this bias ranking based on your experiences with them and explain why:

1 - Not biased
2 - Slightly biased
3 - Very biased
4 - I don't know

You left out radio. NPR and BBC are excellent sources of actual news....

A mix of written sources.

WaPo, NYT, BBC, AP/Reuters, The Economist, FT, Boston Globe for local. I should probably get around to a WSJ subscription but we already have so many....

Sometimes I even read Fox News. News articles to see what information Fox chooses to omit, thus what DP Trumpists won't know. Opinion articles, to see what the party line will be.

Isn't BBC a TV network?

Click on Other for radio. Sorry, I can't edit the poll.

They actually have loads of local and national radio stations with news, new music, classic music and classical. It's a wide range that covers pretty much everything.
The World Service is also a BBC service that's been going since 1932 and has been a free service for news and respected as an impartial global news source.

BBC Radio - Wikipedia
BBC World Service - Wikipedia

Isn't BBC a TV network?

BBC has been radio since there was radio...I used to listen on shortwave.

1 - Not biased
2 - Slightly biased
3 - Very biased
4 - I don't know

I look at Huffington Post in the morning; bias 3. (Its very general on breaking news and easy to look at when I get up.)

CBS News 1

Wall Street Journal, bias 2

San Jose Mercury, News bias 1

PBS, Bias 1

The Guardian, Bias 2

Slate, bias 2

Pacifica radio, bias 3 (I listen for stories and information that is not in daily mass media)

Rush Limbaugh of course. He's as fair and balanced as they come and I'd trust him with my wife and daughter alone overnight in a Motel 6.

Rush Limbaugh of course. He's as fair and balanced as they come and I'd trust him with my wife and daughter alone overnight in a Motel 6.

I think he would be more interested in you....

only Sean Hannity

How can Rush Limbaugh be fair and balanced if everything he says is very conservative?

The bias varies based on the source of the smoke. ;)

Yes it does.

Which is why the news sources that are trustworthy are the ones that sign their names. I have been a reader of the Times, the WSJ and the Post for nearly fifty years. They tend to get the story right in the long run.

Talk radio disc jockeys and anonymous websites that no one ever heard of the day before yesterday, and political pressure groups should be viewed with a highly jaundiced eye.

ALWAY. ALWAYS ALWAYS know who is trying to sell you, what their interests are, and where the money comes from.

If you don’t know the man behind the curtain, you can’t trust the message.

If you get your “news” from Rush Limbaugh, you aren’t getting any news at all. Limbaugh is not in the news business. He is not a journalist.

He is an entertainer. Selling simplistic Archie Bunkerism to Archie Bunker types all over America.

It’s political marketing. His show is little more than that and validating his listener’s prejudices.

Yes it does.

Which is why the news sources that are trustworthy are the ones that sign their names. I have been a reader of the Times, the WSJ and the Post for nearly fifty years. They tend to get the story right in the long run.

Talk radio disc jockeys and anonymous websites that no one ever heard of the day before yesterday, and political pressure groups should be viewed with a highly jaundiced eye.

ALWAY. ALWAYS ALWAYS know who is trying to sell you, what their interests are, and where the money comes from.

If you don’t know the man behind the curtain, you can’t trust the message.

One must keep in mind that most media bias is accomplished by simple omission - that which was not deemed worthy of mention still happened.

1 - Not biased
2 - Slightly biased
3 - Very biased
4 - I don't know

I read newspapers mostly online. So is that a box tick for newspapers, internet or both?

Oh - and all media are biased. That's OK except for 'public service', like the dreadful BBC, who unconvincingly pretend they are not.

Isn't BBC a TV network?

The BBC has about a dozen radio channels - more if you count local UK. They broadcast 'news' as carefully chosen and as biased as their TV.

I am 83 years old, so I essentially do not follow the news closely anymore. I mostly just read/hear the headlines. They satisfy me.

I think that I get most of my political news from (a) a few minutes of FOX News Channel (which I realize leans right), (b) the Internet (Drudge, Google News, Breitbart, and the Daily Mail). With the exception of Google News, most of them lean right. The Daily Mail is my go-to source for American crime news, which the American media will not report, (c) talk radio (which leans right), and (d) the radio news at the top of each hour (which is fairly objective. Maybe being forced to jam headlines into five minutes discourages a lot of partisan bloviating).

Basically, I prefer to watch reruns of "Friends."

CBC and BBC mostly and France 24.
I would say CBC is the most left leaning of the three but it isn’t militant.
All three really try to just report events. I think.
I have tried watching Fox and CNN but can’t do it.

I am 83 years old, so I essentially do not follow the news closely anymore. I mostly just read/hear the headlines. They satisfy me.

I think that I get most of my political news from (a) a few minutes of FOX News Channel (which I realize leans right), (b) the Internet (Drudge, Google News, Breitbart, and the Daily Mail). With the exception of Google News, most of them lean right. The Daily Mail is my go-to source for American crime news, which the American media will not report, (c) talk radio (which leans right), and (d) the radio news at the top of each hour (which is fairly objective. Maybe being forced to jam headlines into five minutes discourages a lot of partisan bloviating).

Basically, I prefer to watch reruns of "Friends."

Right wing political marketing and validation are not news/.

Most of the “news” sources you cite aren’t even news sources;

I read newspapers mostly online. So is that a box tick for newspapers, internet or both?

Newspapers for those sites.

Oh - and all media are biased. That's OK except for "public service" like the dreadful BBC, who unconvincingly pretend they are not.

Do you think BBC is 2 or 3?

Newspapers for those sites.

Do you think BBC is 2 or 3?

I would say the BBC is 3 - very biased. Its left wing woke attitudes permeate through its entire output. Not just news but comedy and even sport and drama. Their top sports presenter, Gary Linneker, paid £5,000,000 a year ! is a very vocal lefty.

Back
Top Bottom