• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When is Electricity Going to be an Issue?

An 'smart phone' sucks down more electricity in a year than a medium efficiency refrigerator. Most of the 'greenies' have no idea about how big their footprint really is.

Yes, I saw the paper that came up with that estimate of smart phone power consumption. Basically, they added up a phone's share of all the power demands of the servers and cellphone towers and so on. The amount of electrical energy being devoted to server farms and data centers is getting to be astonishing. Any device connected to the internet is subject to the same power accounting, meaning that if you have 3 or 4 devices in your home they are by far and away together the biggest consumer of electricity there. The AC or the refrigerator might consume more power in your home, but they don't match the demand for power of internet connected devices.

Alls I can say is build more nukes, build more generators, whatever. I'm not giving up my internet connection.

Translation is necessary, and I think you're fully capable of understanding why "knew" was in quotes...

I knew why it was in quotes I just don't know what "knew" meant. Are you saying that I didn't know it until you said it and that I would then turn around and claim that I "knew" so that I would feel better about myself? Same with "harnessed"...

I knew why it was in quotes I just don't know what "knew" meant. Are you saying that I didn't know it until you said it and that I would then turn around and claim that I "knew" so that I would feel better about myself? Same with "harnessed"...

I'm not sure why you keep arguing the minutia, and avoid the substance as I have more respect for the latter...

I really wish this weren't a left vs. right thing. This technology is helping America win our battle with middle eastern extremism.

The point about the Middle East extremism is well taken. It becomes political when someone gets the bright idea of subsidizing the industry, making all of us help pay for cars that only a tiny percentage of people will use. If electric cars can compete and are economical without that subsidy then I'm all for them.

And the lion's share of battling Middle Eastern extremism from the standpoint of energy independence is being done by fracking, which is successful in spite of everything the government has done to hinder it.

arguing the minutia
dude seriously for all I know this person is right, they might live in a country where over 300 million citizens have no access to electricity, so it isn't' even really an "issue" to them whether you want to attribute the discovery of electricity to Gustav Kirchhoff, James Clerk Maxwell, Georg Ohm or Benjamin freakin' Franklin fer Christ's sake!
But you already "knew" that
2yuy9af.jpg

Yes not only should my wife and child be felt up by the TSA but ol jonny jihad should dictate our energy policy as well! To you I say pshaw the brits drilled those wells in the 50's before the Arabs nationalized em and if you think they can hold the U.S. hostage by not pumping it out and using the proceeds to prop up their corrupt regimes you've got another thing coming. Besides it is actually the EU that burns most of the Mid-East oil if they want it let em go protect it we can drill and buy ours from Mexico, Venezuela & Canada
2yuy9af.jpg

I'm not sure why you keep arguing the minutia, and avoid the substance as I have more respect for the latter...

I "knew" that... Edison was a pretty smart guy.

dude seriously for all I know this person is right, they might live in a country where over 300 million citizens have no access to electricity, so it isn't' even really an "issue" to them whether you want to attribute the discovery of electricity to Gustav Kirchhoff, James Clerk Maxwell, Georg Ohm or Benjamin freakin' Franklin fer Christ's sake!
But you already "knew" that
2yuy9af.jpg

They just invented electricity in this country... we live in a little South Pacific island... fire's work.

The point about the Middle East extremism is well taken. It becomes political when someone gets the bright idea of subsidizing the industry, making all of us help pay for cars that only a tiny percentage of people will use. If electric cars can compete and are economical without that subsidy then I'm all for them.

And the lion's share of battling Middle Eastern extremism from the standpoint of energy independence is being done by fracking, which is successful in spite of everything the government has done to hinder it.

It's s pump primer. Oil is central to both the motivation of the enemy and their funding. It's not just about helping to buy expensive toys. It's taking steps to defund the enemy in a vital resource Americans utterly depend upon. I see this as no different than funding Boeing, McDonnell-Douglas or general dynamics. Except instead of buying military hardware with taxpayer dollars, we are sharing the cost of war related consumer products that is only priming the pump to lead us away from dependency on their resources. A measure tat only counters decades on anti-trust behavior and technology suppression they've been using against us to shake us down for every possible penny while keeping us dependent upon them and others oil suppliers exclusively with no competitor. I believe the day will come when we will no longer need tax rebates to make electric cars affordable meanwhile the last I checked we continue to subsidize the oil industry but directly and in the form of military protection to keep the free flow of oil as uninterrupted as possible...most who complain about the taxpayer investments in defunding dictators and terrorists overlook the costs of maintaining the oil monopoly, both in blood and treasure.

And again speaking of government subsidizing an industry, I never hear complaints when it come to FHA mortgages, the small business administration, the education industry, corn subsidies (well, maybe sometimes), the railroad industry, government investments in sports stadiums, etc.; but when it comes to keeping dictators in the life of luxury and the pulling the plug on continued underwriting of the economy that supports terrorism some people think thats just wrong on principles that are overlooked in areas that don't cost American lives.

Bodhisattva I'm not kidding when i tell you fire is illegal where I live

And again speaking of government subsidizing an industry, I never hear complaints when it come to FHA mortgages, the small business administration, the education industry, corn subsidies (well, maybe sometimes), the railroad industry, government investments in sports stadiums, etc.;

I hear them all the time. A subsidy is a subsidy is a subsidy, no matter if you like or hate the industry. Most often the government shouldn't be doing it.

If you want it to help the masses electricity must be cheap. If its not, and this just drives electricity costs higher it impacts the sales negatively. I'd rather they give them $7500 to produce electricity then just to pocket. I'm not opposed. I want energy independence. What will make that happen is affordable juice.

Actually, its $7,500 and more from certain states. The fact that is just so happens to apply to more expensive cars, is both a coincidence and temporary. The $7500 electric car rebate is good for any electric car with no consideration of costs. The Nissan Leaf also qualifies, which is a lot less expensive than a Tesla S.

I really wish this weren't a left vs. right thing. This technology is helping America win our battle with middle eastern extremism.

Good news for average income guys like us. Because of the record setting sales figures of electric cars, in just a few years there's going to be a significant pre-owned electric car enventory that will need to be marketed. Nissan in particular is pushing leases of the Leaf right now that two or three years will be available for sale at prices most people can hande.

I'm trying to hold out for the Tesla S or Tesla X. Right now they're promoting a financing product in cooperation with Wells Fargo where they use your $7500 rebate as your downpayment. Then you get the rest financed for 5 years at a low interest rate. However, no gas at .30 cents on the dollar electricity compared to gas. If you're spending $200 a month for gas each month then divide that by 3 and add $65 a month to your electric bill but subtract $135 from the cost to operate the car each month. The net monthly cost for the Tesla S ends up being around $500 a month. Not exactly free but only about $135 a moth more than the compact economy car I just paid off. And again, its not just a cool new toy for big boys to me, its part of the war effort in defending the American people against those who think flying high jacked airliners into American skyscrapers during office hours is a great idea.

virtually free juice would go much further towards getting these contraptions on the road and would have
the side effect of boosting the economy but that would work against the regimes' goal of government dependence

All I will say is this - be careful. There are some pretty powerful people
at the State and Federal level pushing this thing and somehow I get the feeling that bypassing or defeating the internal mechanisms is going to carry a rather stiff penalty if one is caught.

Yea I hear you, but I've been doing stuff like this for decades.

Lets say they do install internal kill switches in your electronic devices. And tampering can be detected remotely.

That would be accomplished via Wi-Fi, that would monitor most likely the status of a switch or signal.

Signal's, even if they carry data can be easily replicated using a couple of choice Integrated Chips that can be purchased at any electronics outlet. Like EPO.

I have a nice Oscilloscope and a Signal analyzer that can isolate both the carrier signal and the signal embedded in the Carrier waveform. Thats IF its a multidimensional output signal.

So that shouldn't be too difficult.

If it's a simple digital indication that's even easier.

Its not and issue, and will not be one for a very long time.

We currently have the capacity for about 85million electric cars with no changes. EIA (from memory)

First thing people need to understand is the electric grid is BARLY USED at night when cars are charged.

Back
Top Bottom