• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whats the Worst Vice?

What is the WORST vice?

• Total voters
addicted to government handouts

but of the ones you listed tobacco probably. you can drink booze with no ill effects, same with weed

addicted to government handouts

but of the ones you listed tobacco probably. you can drink booze with no ill effects, same with weed

Just like the GOP effort handouts? SURE... they SHOULD make things roll..... if they WANTED too.
I strongly feel booze is the worst. Its had the POTENTIAL to create the most harm.

Just like the GOP effort handouts? SURE... they SHOULD make things roll..... if they WANTED too.
I strongly feel booze is the worst. Its had the POTENTIAL to create the most harm.

of the ones you listed that is true when it comes to bystanders

What is the WORST vice?
Cigarettes are the worst, because it's difficult not to get addicted to them. Alcohol certainly can be a major problem, but one can drink responsibly. In fact I'm finishing my glass of Merlot right now. :cool:

Cigarettes are the worst, because it's difficult not to get addicted to them. Alcohol certainly can be a major problem, but one can drink responsibly. In fact I'm finishing my glass of Merlot right now. :cool:

And Im finishing my Guiness.
Either way Obama seems to be OK. So far he isnt Rep or Dem.

It depends. Are we talking about causally doing these things or having addictions to them? Also, should we take into account the behavior of those influenced by marijuana and alcohol? It's kinda hard to judge.

It depends. Are we talking about causally doing these things or having addictions to them? Also, should we take into account the behavior of those influenced by marijuana and alcohol? It's kinda hard to judge.

Lets just do things for AMERICANS.
NOT for Reps. NOT for Dems!
Lets just help Americans. We Give money to disasters. Lets help out Americans instead! I am so tired if seeing money go to relief efforrts but America needs tham too. Call it taxes call it whatever.

Lets just do things for AMERICANS.
NOT for Reps. NOT for Dems!
Lets just help Americans. We Give money to disasters. Lets help out Americans instead! I am so tired if seeing money go to relief efforrts but America needs tham too. Call it taxes call it whatever.

What does this have to do with judging which substance is a worse vice?

You can smoke responsibly too... it's called an E-cigarette. I'm smoking mine right now. :devil:

Cigarettes definitely. Cigarettes are considerably more addictive than either alcohol or marijuana. They also harm others if you smoke in public. Alcohol is dangerous in large quantities, but there have been a lot of scientific studies that alcohol drunk in moderation is actually good for you. That's not true of cigarettes, there is nothing at all good about them. A single joint is worse for you than a single cigarette, but since marijuana isn't addictive like cigarettes are, people who smoke it tend to smoke far less.

So in short, of the choices you listed, cigarettes are the worst.

I would argue that the worst overall (at least in terms of the number of people it kills) is unhealthy food, which seems to be the vice of choice for most americans (myself included).

Marijuana, of course. The drug is a gateway to governments to flush billions of dollars down the toilet in vain attempts to stop slackers from eating taco bell.

Alcohol, wasn't Brezhnev drunk when he ordered the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan?

But I do think it is alcohol, it causes many more social problems than both cigarettes and pot.

Cigarettes definitely. Cigarettes are considerably more addictive than either alcohol or marijuana. They also harm others if you smoke in public. Alcohol is dangerous in large quantities, but there have been a lot of scientific studies that alcohol drunk in moderation is actually good for you. That's not true of cigarettes, there is nothing at all good about them. A single joint is worse for you than a single cigarette, but since marijuana isn't addictive like cigarettes are, people who smoke it tend to smoke far less.

So in short, of the choices you listed, cigarettes are the worst.

I would argue that the worst overall (at least in terms of the number of people it kills) is unhealthy food, which seems to be the vice of choice for most americans (myself included).

I cannot tell you how many domestic violence, criminal assaults, and murders have been committed by someone who is drunk. far more in a year than all such cases of people influenced by weed or tobacco in history I suspect

tobacco is the most harmful vice to the users. Drinking to those around the user

They, in excess, are all "bad", probably Miami Vice is the worst.
In moderation - if only we could learn this- cigarettes are the worst as they stink, a most foul odor.
Alcohol, in moderation, is OK.
As some others say, the prohibition is far worse than its target.

No chemical has caused more human misery than alcohol. The reason is that it is ubiquitous, legal and socially acceptible, therefore it is the most commonly abused intoxicating substance.

Moderate consumption loosens inhibitions and impairs coordination and reaction time. Heavy consumption can lead to severe behavior alteration and actions the person would not dream of when sober.

Alcohol is involved in the majority of murders and fatal traffic accidents.

I have to agree with Goshin. Alcohol would be the worst. I have seen more lives and families destroyed by it than any other substance. I would rank them as alcohol -> marijuana -> cigarettes.

I cannot tell you how many domestic violence, criminal assaults, and murders have been committed by someone who is drunk. far more in a year than all such cases of people influenced by weed or tobacco in history I suspect

tobacco is the most harmful vice to the users. Drinking to those around the user

Many, many people are able to control how much alcohol they use though. Alcohol in moderation has been shown to have health benefits in numerous studies.

And, alcohol addiction is what causes most of the problems from alcohol. If a person is addicted to alcohol, without the alcohol (not just in recovery from it, but had they never started), it is possible that the person would have had a different addiction. Now that other addiction could be just as or less harmful, we just can't know.

Many, many people are able to control how much alcohol they use though. Alcohol in moderation has been shown to have health benefits in numerous studies.

And, alcohol addiction is what causes most of the problems from alcohol. If a person is addicted to alcohol, without the alcohol (not just in recovery from it, but had they never started), it is possible that the person would have had a different addiction. Now that other addiction could be just as or less harmful, we just can't know.

NO! booze hounds CANT control the hooch! Liquer is the MOST destructive.

I have no problems with moderate consumption... well except one.

I've known too many people who begin by having a beer or two once in a while.

Check back in 10 years, and they're having a six-pack every evening.

Check back in 10 more years, and they're drinking themselves into a stupor every night and are on the verge of full-blown alcoholism.

Now, this isn't everyone by a long shot... but I've seen it happen this way to many people.

It's hard to become a drunk if you don't drink at all.

NO! booze hounds CANT control the hooch! Liquer is the MOST destructive.

Alcoholics cannot control their consumption. There are people, though, many people, who are not alcoholics and can absolutely handle drinking one or two drinks once in a while or even 1 drink a night. I personally only drink alcohol less than I drink soda, especially caffeinated soda, which is probably an average of about 1 or 2 a week tops, and even that is not often. My great grandmother drank only one beer every day of her life. And I knew lots of guys in the Navy who drank heavily around their early twenties, but by their mid to late twenties they drank a lot less, if at all.

Now, I wouldn't suggest that everyone start drinking, even in moderation. Some people do have addictive personalities and/or alcoholism in their families. My family actually has several alcoholics. But all those family members who chose not to drink, such as my mother and her brother, have/had other addictions, including gambling and drugs.

Alcohol has no ill effects?

No potential addiction?
No drunk drivers?
No potential health problems?
No potential domestic abuse problems?

Did you mean something else by ill effects regarding alcohol use?

Back
Top Bottom