• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched and Rate it!

Shang Chi and the 10 Rings ( or whatever the official name is)

A very good movie, one of my favourite Marvel superhero movies ( not that I watched all of them) Better than the stand alone Ironman movies and the first two Thor movies
One thing i gotta say about that movie: it's about friggin time they moved on to the other Marvel heroes.

And the trailers for it do look good. I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD.

One thing i gotta say about that movie: it's about friggin time they moved on to the other Marvel heroes.

And the trailers for it do look good. I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD.
It is one I will buy on DVD as well

Shang Chi and the 10 Rings ( or whatever the official name is)

A very good movie, one of my favourite Marvel superhero movies ( not that I watched all of them) Better than the stand alone Ironman movies and the first two Thor movies
It was that good huh I might have to take a look

We went to the theater for a needed night out and saw Free Guy. It was good. Funny. Made my wife laugh a lot. Pretty valuable these days.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

8/10

Best Marvel feature since Captain America: The First Avenger. Possibly the third-best of any of them, after Captain America and Iron Man.

Free Guy. I nominate it for Best Picture this year. Original (maybe a little Matrix-y), philosophical (from a what-if-reality-is-a-simulation point of view), hilarious, and it contains copious amounts of Jodie Comer.

Dune (2021)
OK, I had high hopes for this movie, but now that Ive finished it, I cant help but feel some disappointment.
:-[

Even though only the first part of the book was shown, and even with an extended run time, it seemed the director was more focused on setting up mood and atmosphere instead of establishing characters and the complex politics of the story. Important personalities are either not present or their roles were just mere cameos.

It seems to me Villeneuve believes that anyone who watches this movie must have surely watched David Lynch's version, and so he tried to make it as different from that one as possible. The problem is for people who know nothing about the previous versions or havent read the book will probably be hopelessly lost if they watch this film alone.

Is this the best adaptation so far? I'd have to say yes, but with major caveats. Rating: 7.5/10

Road Runner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain (2021) Brilliant (but incomplete) documentary about the celebrity chef. It doesnt cover his childhood or most of his life and only starts with him the moment he becomes famous all the way to his death. The interviews and insights are just awesome, but the movie leaves out the one person (who is shown but not interviewed) who might have been a direct cause of his suicide. Nevertheless, its a great docu. Rating: 9/10

The Card Counter (2021)- Oscar Isaac as a gambler with a past. I was intrigued because its directed by the guy who wrote Taxi Driver, and it was a decent movie, though slow in parts. The structure is pretty similar to his previous movie Light Sleeper. Rating: 5.5/10

The Auschwitz Report (2021)
movie about the real life escape of two death camp prisoners and their efforts to make the Allies bomb that camp during the war. Somewhat good, though also slow in parts. Rating: 6/10

Copshop (2021)
Gerard Butler stars as a hitman who ends up in a desert jail so he could kill his target. It's sort of like Assault on Precinct 13. I had low expectations and it turned out better than I expected, though it did peter out in the end. Rating: 6.5/10

Worth (2021)
. Legal drama about the 9/11 victims fund. Michael Keaton is a good actor so its always quality stuff every
time he's on screen. Rating: 7/10

The Many Saints of Newark (2021)
. Acts as sort of a prequel to The Sopranos TV show. I've got mixed feelings about this. Some parts are very good, but the whole thing feels disjointed and somewhat like fan service. Too many characters and not enough screen time to develop any of them. Also, if you dont know much about the TV show, you'll be confused. Also, the big reveal doesnt do much to the TV show either. Rating: 5.5/10

I had the same feeling about Dune. A little too respectful of the source material for its own good.

Reactions: PoS
Dune had a very epic feel. I thought it was ok but it left me wanting more.

Shang Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings (2021). The theaters finally reopened where I live after being locked down for almost 2 years, and my son and I waited to catch this on the big screen instead of streaming it. I'd say that most Marvel origin movies are usually middling to bad, so it was a nice surprise that this one turned out better than expected. I actually laughed at some of the jokes this time, and the action was fair. My son loved it. All in all, not bad at all. Rating: 7/10

The Last Duel (2021) Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Adam Driver star in a historical drama movie about the last duel fought in Medieval France. It's basically a Rashomon-styled plot about two knights who fight each other to the death because one has accused the other of raping his wife. It's directed by Ridley Scott so the cinematography is amazing. The one problem I have is that its way too long at 2.5 hours, and retelling the same story with 3 different viewpoints kinda saps the pacing for most of the movie. The climatic duel at the end though is a beaut, even though one has to suffer through a soap opera plot 3 times in order to get to it. Rating: 6.5/10.

passing

the opening was great
but the remainder was disappointing in comparison
tho black & white media, the period backgrounds were interesting

the harder they fall

if you like tarantino, you will probably enjoy this flick
nothing deep about it
but it has good pace
and LOTS of gun fighting

a bit of a surprise ending

Shang Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings (2021). The theaters finally reopened where I live after being locked down for almost 2 years, and my son and I waited to catch this on the big screen instead of streaming it. I'd say that most Marvel origin movies are usually middling to bad, so it was a nice surprise that this one turned out better than expected. I actually laughed at some of the jokes this time, and the action was fair. My son loved it. All in all, not bad at all. Rating: 7/10

The Last Duel (2021) Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Adam Driver star in a historical drama movie about the last duel fought in Medieval France. It's basically a Rashomon-styled plot about two knights who fight each other to the death because one has accused the other of raping his wife. It's directed by Ridley Scott so the cinematography is amazing. The one problem I have is that its way too long at 2.5 hours, and retelling the same story with 3 different viewpoints kinda saps the pacing for most of the movie. The climatic duel at the end though is a beaut, even though one has to suffer through a soap opera plot 3 times in order to get to it. Rating: 6.5/10.

Saw ”The Last Duel”. Ditto your critique.

House of Gucci Trailer:

Only 4 people in the theater this past Friday night. Movie came on about 10:15pm. Lady Gaga and Adam Driver attempt to play their Starring Roles with less than convincing Italian accents. I fell asleep a few times. Rate it 5 out of 10.

Spoiler:

I took more interest in the real story than the movie. Patrizia Reggiani married the grandson of company founder Guccio Gucci. When the marriage turned south and became irretrievably broken, she hired a hit on her husband. Convicted in 1997; released from prison in 2016. Not a single member of the Gucci family currently works or owns any part of the company. The company Brand continues to thrive!

also @PoS

how old would you think a child should be to view this movie?
Mature viewers since the rape scene is pretty disgusting (though not graphic), and its actually repeated a second time. I watched it on streaming on my own since my son is 11. I guess it depends on how well your kids know the birds and the bees.

Mature viewers since the rape scene is pretty disgusting (though not graphic), and its actually repeated a second time. I watched it on streaming on my own since my son is 11. I guess it depends on how well your kids know the birds and the bees.
THANKS for that; just what i needed to know an 8 year old boy and his 6 year old sister will have to see something else
it's disney season and should not be difficult to find something for all ages ... but will i want to watch it, too, is the issue

also @PoS

how old would you think a child should be to view this movie?
Restricted, Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian. This rating means the film contains adult material such as adult activity, harsh language, intense graphic violence, drug abuse, and nudity.

I agree with the “R” rating assigned to the movie.

Restricted, Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian. This rating means the film contains adult material such as adult activity, harsh language, intense graphic violence, drug abuse, and nudity.

I agree with the “R” rating assigned to the movie.
Movie ratings become confusing when you get into pg-13 films.

Liar Liar is a dark comedy but Jim Carrey is a laugh riot in his prime in that film.

No Time to Die (2021)- This finally came out in theaters and so we watched it and hmmm, I have mixed feelings about this. When Daniel Craig was announced as Bond way back when I was intrigued, but after watching all of his movies, the only one I really liked was Skyfall. The rest of them werent any good, imo (especially Spectre, with its silly twist ripoff of none other than Austin Powers).

As for this one, there's a lot of things going on, but it seems I just didnt get any emotional investment out of any of it. The whole thing felt staged, as if everyone was just going through the motions. The plot was nonsensical, like 3 separate movies being crammed into one just for the sake of closure. As for the action sequences, having watched all the Bond movies Ive seen them all before.

Raimi Malik's bad guy was very interesting, but I was surprised that he hardly appeared until towards the end of the movie. Plus his final confrontation felt tacked on.

He was pretty much going to escape, so why did he go back? To stop the missiles? But the whole world knew already, so it was just a matter of time before his HQ would have gotten destroyed anyway. And on top of it all, why didnt he just disable those silos from opening up the moment he started building that base in the first place?

All in all, its not my fav of the series, sorry. Rating: 5/10

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Always a classic!

Becoming Cousteau (2021)- Documentary about the French sea explorer that everyone knows. Not much new stuff, but well made nonetheless. Rating 7.5/10

The Real Charlie Chaplin (2021)- an awesome tribute to the greatest movie comedian ever. Very cool and concise. Rating: 9/10

The Rescue (2021)- Documentary about the real life rescue of 13 boys stuck inside a flooded cave in Thailand, and how a group of unlikely hobbyists became the heroes. I remember watching the news reports, but this really gives the inside scoop and I learned a lot of new details. I've also done research on cave diving, and all the stuff they talked about is dead on. Riveting and intense throughout. One of the best movies Ive seen this year. Rating: 10/10

the power of the dog
on netflix

montana 1925. nice era photography (filmed in new zealand i believe)
story line was a bit thin - and at times plodding ... but it was also quite nuanced
the great (casting &) acting made the flick work
worth a watch 7-8 on my arbitrary index

the king's man

was hoping for a bourne movie with a british accent
i got the accent
mediocre acting
less than mediocre story line
weak special effects
predictable with one sole exception
decent sword play
a 5 and i am being damned generous

Back