• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Series Ending Of A TV Show Premise Was Just Bad?

slavablueberryjam

Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The meaning is that the meaning of the series ending was just awful. Not like Seinfeld awful ending, but Supernatural, where the brother died and his brother continues to live until the end, where he dies and boom! His brother was waiting for him there all this time. That is just awful. If there is a heaven, it will be awful to just wait for something...kinda like life. But, with death, I hope things are better than having to wait decades for something, like in life, but death is better. If that makes sense.

Mandalorian pissed me off.. won’t go into it for spoilers

Game of Thrones is the only show I've watched all the way through and been disappointed with the ending. What a pile of shit season 8 was.

Mandalorian pissed me off.. won’t go into it for spoilers
That show ended? But, it isn't really about being 'pissed' off. It's about not liking the idea of the ending, if you will. It's why there was that spoiler that made Supernatural ending bad.

Boardwalk Empire and Man in the High Castle. Two of my favorite shows that started so well but bombed in the end.

Mad Men ended with a bit of a whimper too.

Boardwalk Empire and Man in the High Castle. Two of my favorite shows that started so well but bombed in the end.

Mad Men ended with a bit of a whimper too.
What?
Mad Men was the single best final episode I’ve ever seen.

I can’t remember what happened in Boardwalk Empire…

MASH.. The last couple of years it wasn't even a comedy anymore... It was a prime time soap opera...

Lost.

By the way, try re-watching that show. Zero re-watch value. By contrast, I've seen Breaking Bad...all of it...three times.

It's amazing that any show still does flashbacks as a standard part of their plot. Flashbacks are good for one thing and one thing alone: pissing off audiences.

Last edited:
Lost.

By the way, trying re-watching that show. Zero re-watch value. By contrast, I've seen Breaking Bad...all of it...three times.

It's amazing that any show still does flashbacks as a standard part of their plot. Flashbacks are good for one thing and one thing alone: pissing off audiences.
I remember watching the Lost Finale when it aired, this was back when it was 'live' and a live audience was there, one of the audience members had tears strolling down their face. And I was like, "why?" That ending sucked. In fact, the whole show sucked. Can't watch it at all. Now Battlestar Galactica, when sci-fi showed it the first time. I remember, watching it and thinking this long ass movie is really good. While I was drinking coke, and surfing the web-heh. Then they turned it into a series, and man, o man, did it suck. Could have left it was a military space opera rather than what it became.

MASH.. The last couple of years it wasn't even a comedy anymore... It was a prime time soap opera...
WELL, thats one person's opinion. It's last show sure had a huge number of viewers, so somebody liked it.

I thought that the last episode of M*A*S*H* was one of the most-viewed. Also, I think the show was supposed to be a combination of comedy and drama, and was revealed early on, e.g., Henry Blake's fate.

St. Elsewhere, but it did lead to the fascinating Tommy Westphall Universe phenomenon.

Seinfeld, hands down.

What?
Mad Men was the single best final episode I’ve ever seen.

I can’t remember what happened in Boardwalk Empire…
LOL a Coke commercial? It was a feel good last episode that wimped out since everyone knows Don Draper will go back to his old ways again (he did that every season), so it was a cop out.

And theres nothing to remember about Boardwalk.

Lost and it isn't even close.

There were dozens of fan theories that were 10x better than the finale they wrote.

I remember watching the Lost Finale when it aired, this was back when it was 'live' and a live audience was there, one of the audience members had tears strolling down their face. And I was like, "why?" That ending sucked. In fact, the whole show sucked. Can't watch it at all. Now Battlestar Galactica, when sci-fi showed it the first time. I remember, watching it and thinking this long ass movie is really good. While I was drinking coke, and surfing the web-heh. Then they turned it into a series, and man, o man, did it suck. Could have left it was a military space opera rather than what it became.

I think Battlestar Galactica worked (it's another series I've seen three times). It doesn't wrap up anywhere nearly as cleanly as Breaking Bad, but the ending followed in the same vein as the entirety of the show itself: there was a supernatural/religious undertone to it and the writers were never especially sneaky about it. There was also a strongly cyclical theme to the broader events of the macro-story, and that was consistent in the end as well. If you didn't like the supernatural/religious theme and the cyclical theme in the end, then I have to ask you, what did you think you were watching during those four seasons? They were completely consistent from beginning to end.

I think Battlestar Galactica worked (it's another series I've seen three times). It doesn't wrap up anywhere nearly as cleanly as Breaking Bad, but the ending follows in the same theme as the entirety of the show itself: there is a supernatural/religious undertone to it and the writers have never been especially sneaky about it. There was also a strongly cyclical theme to the broader events of the macro-story, and that was consistent in the end as well. If you didn't like the supernatural/religious theme and the cyclical theme in the end, then I have to ask you, what did you think you were watching for those four seasons?
I stopped watching BSG after the first season because I didn't like how they used, 'farking' all the time for dialogue. It was unnecessary. And the two-part film before the first season started was the most memorable thing to watch when I watched it. Just the feeling that sci-fi made something good and worthy to watch.

Reactions: PoS
I stopped watching BSG after the first season because I didn't like how they used, 'farking' all the time for dialogue. It was unnecessary.

"Fracking," but yeah, that wasn't great for immersion. Still not a deal killer, though.

And the two-part film before the first season started was the most memorable thing to watch when I watched it. Just the feeling that sci-fi made something good and worthy to watch.

The "mini-series" (as they called it) was a space opera (which is not a bad thing!). The rest of the show was hard sci-fi, which is a vision of the future that is a direct ramification of where our present technology is heading, and a mirror to the topical debates and ethical conflicts of our zeitgeist.

You really can't judge the mini-series and the rest of the show against each other because they're completely different animals. It's like comparing The Empire Strikes Back to Altered Carbon (or Silo, or Foundation, or The Expanse) : wayyyyy different things.

I stopped watching BSG after the first season because I didn't like how they used, 'farking' all the time for dialogue. It was unnecessary. And the two-part film before the first season started was the most memorable thing to watch when I watched it. Just the feeling that sci-fi made something good and worthy to watch.
I thought the first couple of episodes were great, but then it started dragging like hell with 40 minutes of closeups of Baltar per episode just endlessly talking word salad. I tuned out.

"Fracking," but yeah, that wasn't great for immersion. Still not a deal killer, though.

The "mini-series" (as they called it) was a space opera (which is not a bad thing!). The rest of the show was hard sci-fi, which is a vision of the future that is a direct ramification of where our present technology is heading, and a mirror to the topical debates and ethical conflicts of our zeitgeist.

You really can't judge the mini-series and the rest of the show against each other because they're completely different animals. It's like comparing The Empire Strikes Back to Altered Carbon (or Silo, or Foundation, or The Expanse) : wayyyyy different things.
The space opera was the way they should have gone for 2 seasons, then make the hard sci-fi the other 2 seasons. Would have left the series as one of the best, in my opinion.

I thought the first couple of episodes were great, but then it started dragging like hell with 40 minutes of closeups of Baltar per episode just endlessly talking word salad. I tuned out.
The ending, that you can watch on youtube, is really funny. Baltar gets called out for his lack of humor. Funny.

The space opera was the way they should have gone for 2 seasons, then make the hard sci-fi the other 2 seasons. Would have left the series as one of the best, in my opinion.

The problem with space operas is they're not lasting. You were able to get two solid movies out of the Star Wars universe before the whole thing began to disintegrate. If the story isn't a vehicle for a broader message or sociological exploration, what you get is a really long series that's all sauce and no pasta. Imagine if the chase scenes in an action movie were the whole movie. That would get vapid and boring fast.

I stopped watching BSG after the first season because I didn't like how they used, 'farking' all the time for dialogue. It was unnecessary.
I don’t know about you, but I fully expect people to emote during the apocalypse and I’m under no illusions that the FCC’s ban on the use of profanity would survive nuclear annihilation. 😂

By the way, I used Star Wars an example of what happens when you try to keep a story going as a space opera movie after movie after movie: it crumbles under its lack of message.

But here's a fantastic of example of something in the Star Wars universe that didn't crumble, and it's because it was more hard sci-fi than space opera: Andor. On its surface, Andor was the adventure of a bland actor playing his part in the rise of the rebellion.

Scratch the surface and you immediately see that Andor was about corporatism, how top-down power structures are affected when the head is heartless and inhumane, and how we treat the less fortunate in that type of government. It was a sociological message through and through, and it worked extremely well.

Tommy Westphall is an autistic boy on St. Elsewhere who dreamed his series and every other series that has crossed over with it. His imagination has created a continuity that now spans over 1500 films and television series. His dreams have gone back in time to films in the 1920s, series in the 1940s and continues to series currently airing. They span genres including dramas, sitcoms, and science fiction. For a list of films and series in the universe, see List of productions in the Tommy Westphall Universe.

Back
Top Bottom