• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Percentage Of Jewish People Still Anticipate a Messiah's Coming ?

Eatomus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Do most Jewish People Still Anticipate a Messiah's Coming ?
Or is it considered a sort of tired worn out myth by most / some Jews whose time and opportunity for fulfillment has come and gone ?
I do know a few Jewish people casually but I have never brought up the subject with them.
I am guessing that there probably exists a division of thought among them on this, but I wonder if there exists , like Christian denominations do on certian subjects, an obligation felt
by individual Temples to take an official stance on Old Testament prophecies?

There are indeed different denominations of Judaism and not all of them believe in a Messiah. So, for example, Orthodox Judaism persists in the belief in a future Messiah but Reform Judaism rejects the idea. Both of those are a larger umbrella for various sects.

From what I gather from the several Jewish friends we have, yes, they are still anticipating the Messiah - but that could be a function too of how orthodox they are.
And save from a few select books like Ruth and Psalms, many don't read any of the OT beyond the first five books, especially the prophetic books. But, I could be over generalizing there - dunno.

There are indeed different denominations of Judaism and not all of them believe in a Messiah. So, for example, Orthodox Judaism persists in the belief in a future Messiah but Reform Judaism rejects the idea. Both of those are a larger umbrella for various sects.
The reasons for the Orthodox belief is pretty obvious when looking at the old testament writings, do you know on what basis the "Reform" rejects the idea ?

I've only known a few Jews well enough to know any particulars. Only one openly identified as a "Messianic Jew". She was a lawyer. I think she grew up Reform but began leaning more Orthodox as an adult.

There's also "Jews for Jesus" who believe Jesus *was* the Messiah.

Do most Jewish People Still Anticipate a Messiah's Coming ?
Or is it considered a sort of tired worn out myth by most / some Jews whose time and opportunity for fulfillment has come and gone ?
I do know a few Jewish people casually but I have never brought up the subject with them.
I am guessing that there probably exists a division of thought among them on this, but I wonder if there exists , like Christian denominations do on certian subjects, an obligation felt
by individual Temples to take an official stance on Old Testament prophecies?
Any Jew who doesn't recognize Christ as the prophesied Messiah is blind.

The Scriptures predict precisely when and where the Messiah would appear, and also his crucifixion.

Albeit any of the coming personalities might pick up and embody in Israel.

One rock formation indicates the first Teacher taking up a work there, probably at a time where vegetarianism is more predominant.

The closing Avatar (11,500) could rule from there.

This goes back a little ways but this is a renowned Jewish Rabbi who prophetically revealed that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah.

The book of Isaiah has many examples of the coming messiah. Not to mention John the Baptist

Back
Top Bottom