• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What my parents taught me about slavery and racism

[

Oh really?

At LEAST five million people died as a result of the Congo “Free State”’s policies. As I already pointed out, there were numerous diseases ravaging the people of the Congo, and because they were being both starved to death and worked to death they died in vast numbers.

The truth is that Leopold II and every last one of his cronies should have hung for the atrocities they committed in the Congo.
According to your link, “…the main cause of the population decline was disease…”

There’s nothing objective about it. Objectively, no life has meaning in the grand scheme of the cosmos.

So then every person can define the meaning of their death before they day, meaning every death has meaning whether others know it or not.

According to your link, “…the main cause of the population decline was disease…”

Literally the second part of that sentence:

“which was exacerbated by the social disruption caused by the Free State.”

Furthermore, from same source:

“Vansina estimated that five percent of the Congolese population perished from swine influenza.[60] In areas in which dysentery became endemic, between 30 and 60 percent of the population could die.[61] Vansina also pointed to the effects of malnutrition and food shortages in reducing immunity to the new diseases.[54] The disruption of African rural populations may have helped to spread diseases further.[50]

So then every person can define the meaning of their death before they day, meaning every death has meaning whether others know it or not.
No. Meaning is reserved for the living to contemplate. What you think of your death is irrelevant.

Exacerbated by malnutrition and mistreatment resulting in weakened immune systems.

Also worth noting: if someone cuts off your arm because you don’t produce enough rubber for your slave masters, and you die of infection, you “died of disease”.

No. Meaning is reserved for the living to contemplate. What you think of your death is irrelevant.

Show where that is objectively defined in reality as opposed to in the mind of a white supremacist.

Exacerbated by malnutrition and mistreatment resulting in weakened immune systems.

Also worth noting: if someone cuts off your arm because you don’t produce enough rubber for your slave masters, and you die of infection, you “died of disease”.
As I pointed out in the other thread, African sleeping sickness is 100% fatal without the benefit of modern medicine. If you caught this disease then you were going to die regardless of how much you were eating and how someone was treating you.

Higher high school dropout rates, higher teen pregnancy rates, higher single parent households, and lower college attendance. Yeah, if you’re a high school dropout with an absentee baby daddy then your prospects in life are poor. End of story.

That happens to a lot of white girls too. Lauren Boebert got knocked up by her pedophile boyfriend, now husband, when she was in high school. It isn't strictly a minority thing.

Show where that is objectively defined in reality as opposed to in the mind of a white supremacist.
Perhaps you should explain how your death can have meaning when no one even knows you ever existed in the first place.

As I pointed out in the other thread, African sleeping sickness is 100% fatal without the benefit of modern medicine. If you caught this disease then you were going to die regardless of how much you were eating and how someone was treating you.

Then clearly the Congo should have always had a mortality rate that high. Did it?

That happens to a lot of white girls too. Lauren Boebert got knocked up by her pedophile boyfriend, now husband, when she was in high school. It isn't strictly a minority thing.
I didn’t say it is strictly a minority thing. I pointed out that it is more common in minority communities.

Perhaps you should explain how your death can have meaning when no one even knows you ever existed in the first place.

Because the individual who died determined what it’s meaning would be before they died. Just because you are ignorant that they did so, doesn’t change the fact that they did, it only shows your ignorance.

Kinda par for the course for “very conservative” people: an ideology based on extreme ignorance.

And as I repeatedly explained to you, the Congo was hit by far more than just one disease under Leopold II’s reign of tyranny.

Then clearly the Congo should have always had a mortality rate that high. Did it?
There was no population census in the Congo so there’s no way of knowing what the starting population even was. What we do know is that African Sleeping Sickness is 100% fatal without modern medicine so if you caught this disease in the 19th or early 20th century then you were going to die..no ifs, ands, or buts about it. That’s just a scientific fact.

First, my parents were both from the north and had little to do at that time with people of color as there were just not around. We moved to the South as part of my father's military career, so I doubt he had much to do with creating the segregation in the South at that time. He did though, while in the service, help black servicemen to achieve, getting them into schools and training them to attain higher levels while in the service. He lived his life as he taught us to live ours.

In the last couple of years, the definition of racism has changed - it is systemic and embedded in US systems: Laws, schools, workplaces. It lifts up whites while repressing Blacks. All whites, from rich to poor, from north to south, are illegitimately benefitting from a racist system (white privilege).

Appears some children do need a more rounded education to understand the current injustices as some parents only want to talk about past instances and wipe their hands of the current events.

Precisely. Assuming you're white and female, your demographic has a median income 18% higher than Black women as a direct result of white privilege. This disparity is enabled by a racist system and can easily be remedied by taxing white women and redistributing to victims of systemic oppression.

There was no population census in the Congo so there’s no way of knowing what the starting population even was. What we do know is that African Sleeping Sickness is 100% fatal without modern medicine so if you caught this disease in the 19th or early 20th century then you were going to die..no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

There were censuses AFTER the Congo Free State and BEFORE modern medicine that could treat African sleeping sickness.

Was the mortality rate always as high for whole population during that time or only when your fellow whiteists were committing horrific atrocities in the name of maximized profits?

There were censuses AFTER the Congo Free State and BEFORE modern medicine that could treat African sleeping sickness.

Was the mortality rate always as high for whole population during that time or only when your fellow whiteists were committing horrific atrocities in the name of maximized profits?
I don’t know how many ways I can’t point out that the fatality rate of African sleeping sickness was/is 100% without the benefit of modern medicine before you understand that scientific fact. You need to get over the Congo.

I don’t know how many ways I can’t point out that the fatality rate of African sleeping sickness was/is 100% without the benefit of modern medicine before you understand that scientific fact. You need to get over the Congo.

So then the Congo always had death rates as high as they were under the Congo Free State, yes? That is what you are claiming?

Or did the sleeping sickness magically disappear the same time the guys hacking off children’s limbs did?

Also, notice everyone else in this thread that not once has @Napoleon even attempted to object to being a white supremacist.

So then the Congo always had death rates as high as they were under the Congo Free State, yes? That is what you are claiming?

Or did the sleeping sickness magically disappear the same time the guys hacking off children’s limbs did?
The fatality rate of African sleeping sickness was/is 100% without the benefit of modern medicine. Period. And no, it has never disappeared.

The fatality rate of African sleeping sickness was/is 100% without the benefit of modern medicine. Period.

And African sleeping sickness killed everyone that died during the Congo Free State? It was the only disease present?

What we’re really talking about here is a minority within a minority which never gets its **** together and doesn’t want to be accountable for its poor decision making. They’ve been led to water. They have to drink it as the majority of their racial peers have.
What are you talking about.... you should look across the broad spectrum of diversity in this country and the living conditions that exist within each race... and you might want to "re-think" your comment ... if you face the "truth of facts". There are people of EVERY race that have challenges, and people of every race that makes decisions that don't produce the best results for their lives.
That's a reality that exist "around the world".

And African sleeping sickness killed everyone that died during the Congo Free State? It was the only disease present?
There were other diseases floating around as always, but African Sleeping Sickness was the primary cause of death.

There were other diseases floating around as always, but African Sleeping Sickness was the primary cause of death.

Source for that claim?

Also source for your claim that everyone who go sleeping sickness would have caught if they weren’t living in the horrific conditions imposed on them?

Source for that claim?

Also source for your claim that everyone who go sleeping sickness would have caught if they weren’t living in the horrific conditions imposed on them?
See the source already posted in this thread. African sleeping sickness has nothing to do with “horrific conditions.” It’s caused by a parasite transmitted by infected Tsetse flies. Once infected, humans spread it via bodily fluids and all that implies, i.e. blood and sexual relations.

Back
Top Bottom