• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your opinion the 60 minutes interview with Anderson copper and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez?

Her proposal is a marginal tax rate look it up

Yep, allegedly (all manner of?) wondrous new federal programs can be funded by taxing only the "tippy top" folks ($10M/year and up?) about twice as much.

Which is why Bernie was called the amendment king? Because he accomplished little to nothing? Also Bernie didn't seek out attention nor did AOC; the media came to them, and of course they're going to use the platform to advance an agenda they obviously feel passionately about, as well they should.

Sadly, the advantage overwhelmingly lies with establishment candidates who at present have commanding leads in terms of their resources, party contacts, and the like and moreover typically enjoy leads in terms of incumbency, name recognition (particularly since most progressive candidates are completely new) and media exposure/favourability (anyone who thinks the MSM is enamoured of progs over 'centrist' Dems clearly hasn't been paying attention). I don't think one mid term is at all meaningful with respect to judging the trajectory and health of a movement that only really came into existence 2 years ago vs a faction that has existed for dozens of years now and still holds the majority of the power and purse strings; as a basis of comparison, it took the New Dems about 15 years more or less, to convincingly take over the party, and that was with the backing of big donors unchained by Buckley v Valeo. In light of that, progressives had a great year, particularly when you consider, due to their tireless work, the broad-based, even overwhelming majoritarian support for their keystone policies that are now very much indeed beginning to enter the realm of political possibility, contrary to your increasingly baseless opinion.

I don't see an explanation so much as a self-serving gloss over of Crowley's substantial funding advantage, name recognition, incumbency, party connections, media coverage and so on. Her win was considered an upset for good reason, even if you would like to engage in revisionism to marginalize it as so many centrist Democrats tried to after they finished collecting their jaws from the floor; Pelosi's flailing, ridiculous attempt at minimization was especially hilarious.

Let me know when a candidate like AOC actually wins in a competitive district.

Either way the Right already hates her. Angels and rainbows could fly out her ass and the Righties would still damn her.

Yes they do. Entirely too much hate from both sides of the divide.

My opinion: Trumpsters make her the face of the Democrat party. Dems, you better not let that happen.

You should take into account the fact that this thread is about a 60 minutes interview with her.

Why did they interview a newly elected young Congresswoman who was just barely seated?

Who is trying to prop her up as an important voice for her party?

How many other important politicians could have been interviewed in her place?

She's been there a week. I'm guessing her integrity diminishes once she her sitdown with Nancy.

That is true which begs the question why 60 minutes interviewed her.

I like her. She's young, green as hell but she'll eventually find her footing and be a force to be reckoned with contrary to the right shaming her all the time

The Democrat leadership will tell her to sit down and shut up and that is what she will do.

The Democrat leadership will tell her to sit down and shut up and that is what she will do.

They might try...but
She's not the kind of person who will shut up so easily.
If you're old enough to remember Shirley Chisholm you'll understand

She's not the kind of person who will shut up.
If you're old enough to remember Shirley Chisholm you'll understand

Michelle Obama was not the kind of person to shut up but she sure did for 8 years.

This woman will too if she wants any kind of future in the party.

Michelle Obama was not the kind of person to shut up but she sure did for 8 years.

She wasn't a member of Congress either, so apples and oranges. My guess is that Obama told her to tone it down because she was upstaging him which is understandable

Don't underestimate the power of popularity. AOC is very popular with the left

She wasn't a member of Congress either, so apples and oranges. My guess is that Obama told her to tone it down because she was upstaging him which is understandable

You think the husband has more power over his wife than the Democrat leadership has over a green Congressperson?

Don't underestimate the power of popularity. AOC is very popular with the left

Every time this woman opens her mouth, other Democrats are asked about what she said.

I bet they are going to get extremely tired of that very quickly.

I will say that maybe this woman has another month and then we won't hear anything out of her again.

What is your opinion of the 60 minutes interview with Anderson copper and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez?

I had not watched her before, and I came away with a favorable impression. It's refreshing to see a brave and principled woman so young take office. Maybe there is hope for change away from the miserable status quo.

Didn't watch it.

My opinion of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is that she's the type of person we need in politics, and in power.

Absolutely. Idiots also deserve to be represented.

That's already happening. Her name is not on the list of Democrats who voted against Pelosi for majority leader.

I think the interview was well conducted.

I don't have an opinion on AOC's remarks. I won't until she proffers formal proposals or until specific legislative provisions she's proffered make it into a specific bill.

Let me know when a candidate like AOC actually wins in a competitive district.

Sure: Katie Hill, California's 25th congressional district.

Meanwhile the Overton window pendulum is finally beginning swinging back towards the left from the lunatic fringe of the right that decades of unlimited money in politics and big donor influence have pushed it. When MSM, politicos and talking heads regard policies that have been proven successful, and are the norm the developed world over (while being overwhelmingly supported by the general population) as being 'far left' it becomes readily apparent that the American frame of reference is the one that is skewed.

Last edited:
It seems that the less you know about what she has said then the more convinced you are that she is making sense. What I am talking about are things that she actually said. Having admitted to not knowing what she has said - why do you question others who have heard what she has said? It is quite easy to find out what she has said by using *gasp* the internet.
I've heard/read/watched lots of things she said.

Please provide an example of something you think doesn't make sense.

She used the term "inaugurated" instead of "sworn in" one time and right-wingers think this is some really big deal.
Reminds me of some of the attacks on Obama.

Such pettiness.

That's already happening. Her name is not on the list of Democrats who voted against Pelosi for majority leader.

What matters more is how she votes on legislation, and she has adamantly, and correctly, opposed Pelosi on Paygo.

The problem with voting against Pelosi as Speaker is that the only alternatives at the time were _more_ conservative.

I've heard/read/watched lots of things she said.

Please provide an example of something you think doesn't make sense.

Obviously not enough of them or you would not reply as follows:

Originally Posted by The Mark
What the hell are you talking about.

Sure: Katie Hill, California's 25th congressional district.

Meanwhile the Overton window pendulum is finally beginning swinging back towards the left from the lunatic fringe of the right that decades of unlimited money in politics and big donor influence have pushed it. When MSM, politicos and talking heads regard policies that have been proven successful, and are the norm the developed world over (while being overwhelmingly supported by the general population) as being 'far left' it becomes readily apparent that the American frame of reference is the one that is skewed.

So basically out of 435 races you identified one hard core liberal that won in a competitive district.

So basically out of 435 races you identified one hard core liberal that won in a competitive district.

Katie Porter, California's 45th congressional district.

But sure, keep moving the goalposts after I threw your noxious jab back in your face; continue to foster inexplicably unrealistic expectations of a 2 year old movement during its first ever midterms with largely new, outgunned candidates. You amusingly expect more from progressives than I do and I'm on their side, but hey, at least you aim high; I'm glad you hold us in such apparent esteem.

Meanwhile the nation demonstrably continues to move in our direction on matters of policy.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...018-midterm-elections-democrats-ocasio-cortez

This trend, much to your chagrin I'm sure, is only going to continue to climb.

Last edited:
Katie Porter, California's 45th congressional district.

But sure, keep moving the goalposts after I threw your noxious jab back in your face; continue to foster inexplicably unrealistic expectations of a 2 year old movement during its first ever midterms with largely new, outgunned candidates. You amusingly expect more from progressives than I do and I'm on their side, but hey, at least you aim high; I'm glad you hold us in such apparent esteem.

Meanwhile the nation demonstrably continues to move in our direction on matters of policy.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...018-midterm-elections-democrats-ocasio-cortez

This trend, much to your chagrin I'm sure, is only going to continue to climb.

It's not a two year movement. There has been a liberal wing of the Democratic Party for 80 years now. What do you think George McGovern was? Mike Dukakis? Every new generation somehow thinks they invented it, not realizing that every movement before them that ran on their issues failed to win the White House (usually losing in landslides) and failed to win a House Majority.

The problem with politicians like AOC is that they win where Democrats are always going to win anyway, but they don't win in competitive districts. If you want to hand Trump another 4 years, run on a Green New Deal paid for by a 70% top marginal rate. If there is one thing you can give the Republicans, they are smart enough to know that most voters are stupid. Most voters hear a 70% tax rate and they think that those in that bracket will see 70% of their income going to the government. They don't understand how a progressive tax system works. For crying out loud, when 8 out of 10 people get a bonus check, they think its taxed at a higher rate. That is why Republicans never get specific on anything. They always run on catch phrases and slogans. For example, you will never hear a Republican campaign on saying they want to increase gun sales. Instead they will say they are "For the 2nd Amendment". You will never hear a Republican campaign on legislating morality, instead they will say they are "pro family". You don't win on policy specifics.

It's not a two year movement. There has been a liberal wing of the Democratic Party for 80 years now. What do you think Daniel Patrick Moynihan was? George McGovern? Mike Dukakis? Every new generation somehow thinks they invented it, not realizing that every movement before them that ran on their issues failed to win the White House (usually losing in landslides) and failed to win a House Majority.

The fact is that the progressive wing hasn't really been a force since the New Dem take over in the 90s; de facto, it hasn't really existed in any meaningful way until 2 years ago when Bernie more or less singlehandedly revived the movement alongside the crushing, humiliating defeats of the New Dems in 2010 and onward.

The problem with politicians like AOC is that they win where Democrats are always going to win anyway, but they don't win in competitive districts. If you want to hand Trump another 4 years, run on a Green New Deal paid for by a 70% top marginal rate. If there is one thing you can give the Republicans, they are smart enough to know that most voters are stupid. Most voters hear a 70% tax rate and they think that those in that bracket will see 70% of their income going to the government. They don't understand how a progressive tax system works. For crying out loud, when 8 out of 10 people get a bonus check, they think its taxed at a higher rate. That is why Republicans never get specific on anything. They always run on catch phrases and slogans. For example, you will never hear a Republican campaign on saying they want to increase gun sales. Instead they will say they are "For the 2nd Amendment". You will never hear a Republican campaign on legislating morality, instead they will say they are "pro family". You don't win on policy specifics.

Last I checked the main pillars of progressive policy, the elements that could be at all considered a 'litmus test' had substantial majoritarian support; MFA at 70% per most recent polling, including 58% support amongst Republicans, going on more popular. Progressive policy, if pretty much all the polling out there is to be believed, is a winner on the national level, so yes, I would absolutely have our nominee run on them with confidence if he/she wants the best chance of success. With that kind of margin, let the Republicans come at us and try and say how people don't deserve healthcare and education while they're more than happy to give away trillions to arms manufacturers, destabilising tarpit warfare and billionaires with no sense of fiscal discipline in sight. I'll take up that fight any day; ****ing bring it. Let us also not forget that uninspired New Dem neoliberal 'incrementalism' resulted in one of the most historic losses of Dem power in the history of the country, and was directly responsible in large part for the election of Trump.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom