• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your opinion the 60 minutes interview with Anderson copper and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez?

The fact is that the progressive wing hasn't really been a force since the New Dem take over in the 90s; de facto, it hasn't really existed in any meaningful way until 2 years ago when Bernie more or less singlehandedly revived the movement alongside the crushing, humiliating defeats of the New Dems in 2010 and onward.

Last I checked the main pillars of progressive policy, the elements that could be at all considered a 'litmus test' had substantial majoritarian support; MFA at 70% per most recent polling, including 58% support amongst Republicans, going on more popular. Progressive policy, if pretty much all the polling out there is to be believed, is a winner on the national level, so yes, I would absolutely have our nominee run on them with confidence if he/she wants the best chance of winning. With that kind of margin, let the Republicans come at us and try and say how people don't deserve healthcare and education while they're more than happy to give away trillions to arms manufacturers, destabilizing tarpit warfare and billionaires with no sense of fiscal discipline in sight. I'll take up that fight any day; bring it. Let us also not forget that uninspired New Dem neoliberal 'incrementalism' resulted in one of the most historic losses of Dem power in the history of the country, and was directly responsible in large part for the election of Trump.

Medicare For All has great support until you get into the specifics. For example, how many Americans when polled do you think understand that if Medicare For All is passed, they are on Medicare and lose their group plan from their employer. I bet 75% of them don't understand that. Then when they do find that out, you will see ad after ad after ad after ad from various interest and ideological groups about how the could lose access to their doctor, how government bureaucrats will be making medical decisions for them, how it will take money from seniors on Medicare, how it will curb innovation with new drugs and so on. Sure, most of it will be total bull****, but it won't matter because people will believe it. It won't be designed to inform people, it will be designed to scare them. With 6 months, that 70% would be well under 50% and probably down in the 30s. Then Democrats would get killed in the next couple of elections, and by the time Democrats come back to power, the Republicans will have the federal court system stacked so full of right wing nutjobs that even small reforms to healthcare will be impossible for a generation or more.

I am not against MFA, what I am saying is that it is politically impossible in this country.

Medicare For All has great support until you get into the specifics. For example, how many Americans when polled do you think understand that if Medicare For All is passed, they are on Medicare and lose their group plan from their employer. I bet 75% of them don't understand that. Then when they do find that out, you will see ad after ad after ad after ad from various interest and ideological groups about how the could lose access to their doctor, how government bureaucrats will be making medical decisions for them, how it will take money from seniors on Medicare, how it will curb innovation with new drugs and so on. Sure, most of it will be total bull****, but it won't matter because people will believe it. It won't be designed to inform people, it will be designed to scare them. With 6 months, that 70% would be well under 50% and probably down in the 30s. Then Democrats would get killed in the next couple of elections, and by the time Democrats come back to power, the Republicans will have the federal court system stacked so full of right wing nutjobs that even small reforms to healthcare will be impossible for a generation or more.

I am not against MFA, what I am saying is that it is politically impossible in this country.

You might be right if we just sit on our ass and do nothing as usual, opting for complacency and 'compromise' instead of taking the fight to them as we should have for the better part of a decade: I propose instead we fight back with our ads explaining the very obvious merits and virtues of these program while hitting the Republicans right where it hurts every single time, and highlighting how they prioritize war spending, donors and billionaires over the health, education and prosperity of Americans, while delegitimizing these bogus attack ads by highlighting their sourcing, and the special/monied interests that everyone already absolutely despises and has no patience for; no pulling punches, no more half measures; we bury these ****s with the abundance of ammunition they've doled out and pummel them, over and over until they're an unrecognizable bloody mess. This isn't rocket science and there's a huge buffer for keeping support onside.

You might be right if we just sit on our ass and do nothing as usual, opting for complacency and 'compromise' instead of taking the fight to them as we should have for the better part of a decade: I propose instead we fight back with our ads explaining the very obvious merits and virtues of these program while hitting the Republicans right where it hurts every single time, and highlighting how they prioritize war spending, donors and billionaires over the health, education and prosperity of Americans, while delegitimizing these bogus attack ads by highlighting their sourcing, and the special/monied interests that everyone already absolutely despises and has no patience for; no pulling punches, no more half measures; we bury these ****s with the abundance of ammunition they've doled out and pummel them, over and over until they're an unrecognizable bloody mess. This isn't rocket science and there's a huge buffer for keeping support onside.

The Healthcare Sector is one of the highest spending sectors in Washington when it comes to lobbying and advertising. You are not going to outspend them. They will drown progressive groups in ad buys.

It was great! Cortez exposed herself as a communist POS.

The Healthcare Sector is one of the highest spending sectors in Washington when it comes to lobbying and advertising. You are not going to outspend them. They will drown progressive groups in ad buys.

It sure is a good thing then that we have grass roots, a motivated base, a better case, a massively advantageous initial position with the public, the precedence of the rest of the developed world, and the unanimous contempt of Americans for the existing healthcare system and special interests, particularly those undermining public policy for their financial interests, and in general the zeitgeist of the public on our side.

This fight is far from unwinnable. We have better arguments, superior policy, popularity and public regard; they have money. ****ing bring it.

You think the husband has more power over his wife than the Democrat leadership has over a green Congressperson?

You really don't have much of a point, when you really get down to it.

Every time this woman opens her mouth, other Democrats are asked about what she said.

I bet they are going to get extremely tired of that very quickly.

I will say that maybe this woman has another month and then we won't hear anything out of her again.

Nah, she's a green horn, reminds me of a wirey legged fawn, but in a few months, it will find it's footing.

In time, she will be a force to be reckoned with, she has a lot of in your face passion, which I think dems could use more of.

You should take into account the fact that this thread is about a 60 minutes interview with her.

Why did they interview a newly elected young Congresswoman who was just barely seated?

Who is trying to prop her up as an important voice for her party?

How many other important politicians could have been interviewed in her place?

They interviewed her because of the public buzz about her, even if it is mostly from Trumpsters.

Buzz = ratings, never forget that.

Nah, she's a green horn, reminds me of a wirey legged fawn, but in a few months, it will find it's footing.

In time, she will be a force to be reckoned with, she has a lot of in your face passion, which I think dems could use more of.

You are dreaming. The old guard are not going to roll over for her.

They interviewed her because of the public buzz about her, even if it is mostly from Trumpsters.

Buzz = ratings, never forget that.

If, like you say, it was only "Trumpsters", they would ignore her.

You are dreaming. The old guard are not going to roll over for her.

The old are always replaced by the young, eventually. Smart people know this.

Back
Top Bottom