• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the point?

I disagree...
Sure. You think there's some Cosmic Mind out there, containing All Truth in its great noggin.

But some of us don't go for that story.

Come on, SF...something/someone set the scientific laws into motion for us mere humans to discover...they didn't set themselves into motion...that's how it works...
Ok, I'll play along, WHO or WHAT set the scientific laws into motion?

I disagree...humans merely discovered science...
Humans discovered a universe. Then humans created a system for studying it in a reliable way. Most of us call that system 'science'.

I think she is trying to lead us somewhere, and I can guess where. No one "made" science. Some primitive man rubs two sticks together and discovers fire. THAT is science. It's not like someone snapped their fingers and said "Now I have made science."
And yet, there are standards/laws, man cannot defy...he can only investigate...

Humans discovered a universe. Then humans created a system for studying it in a reliable way. Most of us call that system 'science'.
Where did the universe come from? Who/what set it into motion?

Yes. I think science is a process, not an endpoint. As opposed to received knowledge, the status claimed for religious truth. The latter are very very big shoes to fill, & I don't think that religions to date have quite got the right fit.
Religion is belief without proof, purely set on faith. Science is finding the truth through experimentation, discovery, analysis, even 2nd guessing, and then proving a reality based on discovery and facts.

Who knows.

Other than you and every other god-believer on the planet, I mean.

Man oh man, is that what you got out of that meme? That it is me disrespecting people I disagree with? Holy moley!! Talk about being easily triggered. I was showing the difference between those who trust science and those who are getting their science from their cellphone. Did you take THAT meme personally?
View attachment 67442586
While sitting on a toilet? Would you have posted it if she was just on a cell phone? And this on a post where you're trying to tell people to be more reasonable.

Do you deny the authorities claiming to be guided by science made mistakes?

Your agenda is noted, I for one am not prepared to have this thread derailed for your next Sunday sermon.

Who knows.

Other than you and every other god-believer on the planet, I mean.
So, you're willing to accept that but not the fact that God has no creator/beginning...weird...

Your agenda is noted, I for one am not prepared to have this thread derailed for your next Sunday sermon.
No intention other than seeing the truth...

While sitting on a toilet? Would you have posted it if she was just on a cell phone? And this on a post where you're trying to tell people to be more reasonable.

Do you deny the authorities claiming to be guided by science made mistakes?
Oh the picture of someone on the toilet has got you ALL upset. Boo hoo. NOW, can we deal with the topic posted or do you want to derail this thread with your constant whining? If it is the latter, don't expect a further reply for me. Sheesh!

The first is a valid question. The second is presupposing that there is an original cause - which is interesting, but it's too early to call. There are limitations to the questions science can investigate. Those are being worked on, but it's not clear that the difficulties can be overcome. We may never have a definitive answer on both counts.

Can you live with that ambiguity?

I get the message, you're afraid to think...I'll leave you to your own inward demise...
oh for crying out loud, stop whining already!!

Oh the picture of someone on the toilet has got you ALL upset. Boo hoo. NOW, can we deal with the topic posted or do you want to derail this thread with your constant whining? If it is the latter, don't expect a further reply for me. Sheesh!
No just calling you on it and I reserve the right to whine at your posts. I don't care if you respond.

I don't mean to sound obtuse, but read a book, or take a night class. And yes, I have.

Reading a book is only part the battle - you read, you form opinions based on the knowledge you gain, and then you test those opinions by debating them out with people that have differing opinions.

The first is a valid question. The second is presupposing that there is an original cause - which is interesting, but it's too early to call. There are limitations to the questions science can investigate. Those are being worked on, but it's not clear that the difficulties can be overcome. We may never have a definitive answer on both counts.

Can you live with that ambiguity?
I can live with the fact that science may never know, yes...because science deals with the physical realm and God is of the spiritual realm...that does not mean God has not disclosed the beginning to those of us who are willing to listen...He has..."In the beginning"...

Reading a book is only part the battle - you read, you form opinions based on the knowledge you gain, and then you test those opinions by debating them out with people that have differing opinions.
ABSOLUTELY, except I would prefer to debate people who don't......
have a fixed view of reality, who believe knowledge can be fake, and who would deny existence to people different from themselves

ABSOLUTELY, except I would prefer to debate people who don't......

I'm the other way - I'd rather debate someone who kicks my ass with facts that support the opposite point of view. That's when this place gets fun. It's like reading Justice Scalia's opinions.... I pretty much disagree with everything he ever wrote, but it's pretty rare that I can muster a better counter-argument.

So, you're willing to accept that but not the fact that God has no creator/beginning...weird...
I'm willing to accept that you think you're smart enough to know that God made the universe?

Yeah, it seems that you do.

I get the message, you're afraid to think...I'll leave you to your own inward demise...
Boy, you Christians are super spiritual.

I can live with the fact that science may never know, yes...because science deals with the physical realm and God is of the spiritual realm...that does not mean God has not disclosed the beginning to those of us who are willing to listen...He has..."In the beginning"...
God wrote a book?

Which one?

Back
Top Bottom