• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the point?

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Tongue in cheek you might be guessing, but we could take the question seriously.

What IS the point?

Since this forum is about "the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence from a non-religious basis", I have to wonder what difference it makes to ANYONE trying to bring knowledge, reality or the nature of existence to someone or a group of people who live in an alternative universe where knowledge is frowned upon (because science can't be trusted), where reality is what you make it (rigged elections in the US are real, the MSM is all fake) or where our existence is denied because we are different (not white, not Christian, not straight, not American)

In short, we have all spend quite some time on here arguing back n forth with those who have a fixed view of reality, who believe knowledge can be fake, and who would deny existence to people different from themselves, and we have all noticed one immutable point:

Arguing, debating, even attempting to educate, a certain crop of people will ALWAYS fall on deaf ears.

So, in that case, what IS the point?

Tongue in cheek you might be guessing, but we could take the question seriously.

What IS the point?

Since this forum is about "the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence from a non-religious basis", I have to wonder what difference it makes to ANYONE trying to bring knowledge, reality or the nature of existence to someone or a group of people who live in an alternative universe where knowledge is frowned upon (because science can't be trusted), where reality is what you make it (rigged elections in the US are real, the MSM is all fake) or where our existence is denied because we are different (not white, not Christian, not straight, not American)

In short, we have all spend quite some time on here arguing back n forth with those who have a fixed view of reality, who believe knowledge can be fake, and who would deny existence to people different from themselves, and we have all noticed one immutable point:

Arguing, debating, even attempting to educate, a certain crop of people will ALWAYS fall on deaf ears.

Yup. With some threads, it pretty much comes down to "how much time do I want to spend exhausting myself in this hamster wheel?"

What IS the point?

To help us recognize when you (we) are the one with the deaf ears.

Yup. With some threads, it pretty much comes down to "how much time do I want to spend exhausting myself in this hamster wheel?"
Feels that way every day on here.

What IS the point?

Some folks enjoy discussions for their own reasons.

Not much...

cbf57ffe2a4107b99e2b4473331e7132.jpg

What IS the point?

Because SOME will listen

Some folks enjoy discussions for their own reasons.
Oh I get that. Entertainment value. A chance to ridicule anyone who isn't on your side. But when it doesn't change the attitudes of ANYONE you are debating, in the end, it still comes down to "what is the point?"

They will? None that I have noticed............ so far.
True...you can post what you know to be the truth of a particular subject and others, who have no idea what the truth really is, will argue that you don't know what you're talking about...

When I start feeling that way, I take a few days off from DP. Just sayin.
I've done that, then come back, and realize nothing's changed. My question though is not about my frustration personally but about the general concept of trying to debate people who will NEVER EVER change their views and are completely intransigent.

True...you can post what you know to be the truth of a particular subject and others, who have no idea what the truth really is, will argue that you don't know what you're talking about...
That is because they have been taught about "alternative" facts and that truth isn't always the truth (Giuliani coined that one).

That is because they have been taught about "alternative" facts and that truth isn't always the truth (Giuliani coined that one).
lol...you mean lies, don't you? We know there's plenty out there and plenty of gullible people to lap them up...

What IS the point?

“I have a dangerously supple wrist.” —Friedrich Nietzsche

Counter propaganda. Figuring out the aberrant mind. Owning the MAGAs.

And I'll say something else. I've been debating for years, often contentiously and against the hidebound. But every once in awhile, a person has said to me that my arguments, months or years earlier, had some effect on the way they saw things. Not in the heat of battle, but later, while they sat and thought.

There's not much hope, but there could be a little.

What IS the point?

Here I was starting to like you. It is going into the 60's today, a tidal on shore wind kicking up the ocean, and promised myself 'I will not get into any debates', no morning posting but a long, leisurely walk and think and some potato pancakes for breakfast to deny the diabetes gods.......

The YOU had to go and make me think.......

Seriously though, I do it for the adrenaline rush!

Few things are available to me anymore, I am a long way from running a marathon ever again, scuba diving, mountain climbing are out and the idea of jumping out of a perfectly fine aircraft never really appealed to me. And of course drugs and alcohol have gone and sex?

I live alone and like my neighbors, they like and respect me. Most of my friends and neighbors are pretty much non political. To be perfectly honest I see politics as a sport, with awful rules and worse players (you need a penalty box - two months for lying!) and frankly, after 75 years most of them involved in politics I don't take it seriously. I respect about 1% of them - on both sides of the aisle as a matter of fact. My government is making a great deal of noise about protecting us from inflation, we're going deeper into best....

A headline I could have written any given year in any given government. And in here? Nothing changes. No one 'scores points', the only way you know you've won is the other guy puts you on ignore. How many times has anyone posted, 'you know, you're absolutely right....I'm changing my vote."

In here we are out to convince anyone but ourselves, we I only want to entertain...which includes laughter, anger, depression, happiness or to inform, which has always been my motivation.

But in the it's entertainment. I don't believe 90% of what I read, so it's like Goofey and Mickey mouse for adults.

It also satisfies a creative need. I need to write to feel alive.

Also? Truth? This one time only.....I am not as far left as I make out to be just to get the juices flowing in the bigots who will reduce themselves to screaming "COMMIE"!

GOD I LOVE THAT!

What IS the point?

Since this forum is about "the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence from a non-religious basis", I have to wonder what difference it makes to ANYONE trying to bring knowledge, reality or the nature of existence to someone or a group of people who live in an alternative universe where knowledge is frowned upon

You do make a point and many come here not to actually debate or discuss a matter but to pontificate and assert an unalterable truth that is already argument and evidence proof.

(because science can't be trusted), where reality is what you make it (rigged elections in the US are real, the MSM is all fake) or where our existence is denied because we are different (not white, not Christian, not straight, not American)

Science can be trusted when they establish scientific fact which often takes a long time. The problem with COVID is we were relying on scientific opinion prior to scientific fact being established. Some of those opinions were clearly wrong.

There are a few posters who, though we are often on opposite sides of an issue still have a reasonable debate. Such is possible even if concurrence isn't.

In some cases you make your argument for the peanut gallery. You should recognize such folks exist on either side of the political spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom