• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?

opendebate

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I rode a 15 speed bicycle up the coast of California to the Washington and Oregon border then across to NYC. We zigg-zagged up and and down most of the northern states and into Canada a bit. It took about 3 1/2 months and we camped the whole way. I carried about 50lbs on my bike. It was an amazing adventure. How about you?

Joined the Marine Corps.

I rode a 15 speed bicycle up the coast of California to the Washington and Oregon border then across to NYC. We zigg-zagged up and and down most of the northern states and into Canada a bit. It took about 3 1/2 months and we camped the whole way. I carried about 50lbs on my bike. It was an amazing adventure. How about you?

Impressive bike trip. I want to do the west coast from Northern Calif to Astoria Oregon someday.

Impressive bike trip. I want to do the west coast from Northern Calif to Astoria Oregon someday.

We actually went to Astoria on this trip. If you can make arrangements you should do it. It's more than a matter of just enjoying the scenery. It's a very grounding experience. Reminds you that you really don't need alot of the crap infomercials try to convince you you need. Plus you meet some great people along the way. Hope you make it.

We actually went to Astoria on this trip. If you can make arrangements you should do it. It's more than a matter of just enjoying the scenery. It's a very grounding experience. Reminds you that you really don't need alot of the crap infomercials try to convince you you need. Plus you meet some great people along the way. Hope you make it.

It's on my bucket list. I recently did a car camping trip down the coast and had some good conversations with bikers in campgrounds. It helped that I had rum and coke and ICE. :lol:

Got up in front of 200 people to sing and play acoustic guitar for my first paid gig on New Year's eve about.....12 years ago? Something like that. Back then we were a trio and had a Blues Harp player....very good....but was undependable. He played with us for 7 years. Got tired of him "forgetting gigs" and getting too.messed up to.play. So now we are a Duo.

But that first gig....being the Primary singer playing out for the first time at 36 years old(well after the "no fear" stage of your life)? It was terrifying.

It's on my bucket list. I recently did a car camping trip down the coast and had some good conversations with bikers in campgrounds. It helped that I had rum and coke and ICE. :lol:

Never ever hurts, that's for sure.

Got up in front of 200 people to sing and play acoustic guitar for my first paid gig on New Year's eve about.....12 years ago? Something like that. Back then we were a trio and had a Blues Harp player....very good....but was undependable. He played with us for 7 years. Got tired of him "forgetting gigs" and getting too.messed up to.play. So now we are a Duo.

But that first gig....being the Primary singer playing out for the first time at 36 years old(well after the "no fear" stage of your life)? It was terrifying.

That's so great!! I use to sing in a blues band. What a thrill. What kind of music do you do? 200 people is a pretty good size crowd especially for your first time. Do you still perform? BTW, that "undependable" is so typical.... right?

Hm. I guess it depends on what you mean by adventure. Louis Lamour, who knew a thing or two about it, said "Adventure is some OTHER poor guy, halfway around the world, having one HELL of a hard time... while you read about it from the comfort of your living room." :mrgreen:

I've done wilderness hiking, primitive camping, survival training, rock climbing, rappelling, snow skiing, water skiing, boating/canoeing, hunting, fishing, archery/bowhunting, motorcycling/dirt bikes/motocross, knife/axe throwing, fought in the ring and out of the ring, trained in martial arts during the wild era of dojo-wars and unsanctioned knockout-fights of the late 70s and early 80s, studied renaissance longsword from a Canadian Arma/Haca practictioner, flown over the Bermuda Triangle, went whitewater rafting down the Snake River in the Grand Canyon the day after the high-water flags were lifted, photographed wild Buffalo and Moose in the Yellowstone from 10' away, spent most of two months driving across the country never staying 3 nights in the same state, rode horseback up a steep narrow trail in the Rocky Mountains, saddle-broke wild horses, fought a vicious pitt-bull to the death hand-to-hand, cut timber, raised a circus tent, visited Nashville and saw the sights, been a cop a bank courier and a bodyguard, raised a child, ran a business.... and went to Disneyworld. :)

If by "adventure" you mean something kind of out of the ordinary with an element of risk or "gosh wow sense of wonder".... well all of those had some adventure in them. :mrgreen:

Hm. I guess it depends on what you mean by adventure. Louis Lamour, who knew a thing or two about it, said "Adventure is some OTHER poor guy, halfway around the world, having one HELL of a hard time... while you read about it from the comfort of your living room." :mrgreen:

I've done wilderness hiking, primitive camping, survival training, rock climbing, rappelling, snow skiing, water skiing, boating/canoeing, hunting, fishing, archery/bowhunting, motorcycling/dirt bikes/motocross, knife/axe throwing, fought in the ring and out of the ring, trained in martial arts during the wild era of dojo-wars and unsanctioned knockout-fights of the late 70s and early 80s, studied renaissance longsword from a Canadian Arma/Haca practictioner, flown over the Bermuda Triangle, went whitewater rafting down the Snake River in the Grand Canyon the day after the high-water flags were lifted, photographed wild Buffalo and Moose in the Yellowstone from 10' away, spent most of two months driving across the country never staying 3 nights in the same state, rode horseback up a steep narrow trail in the Rocky Mountains, saddle-broke wild horses, fought a vicious pitt-bull to the death hand-to-hand, cut timber, raised a circus tent, visited Nashville and saw the sights, been a cop a bank courier and a bodyguard, raised a child, ran a business.... and went to Disneyworld. :)

If by "adventure" you mean something kind of out of the ordinary with an element of risk or "gosh wow sense of wonder".... well all of those had some adventure in them. :mrgreen:

Good for you. Grab life by the b**ls I say.

That's so great!! I use to sing in a blues band. What a thrill. What kind of music do you do? 200 people is a pretty good size crowd especially for your first time. Do you still perform? BTW, that "undependable" is so typical.... right?

Yes....we still gig...although at my "real job" I am on third shift (10:15-6:15)....so that makes it tough...I bid on a day shift job and should interview in a week or two....8:00-4:00 with Sat/Sun breakdays....a normal life after almost 25 years!

We do a lot of Piedmont style Blues...with a little Chicago and Delta mixed in...but we also do any type of music that transitions well into an acoustic duo. I play mostly rhythm guitar and a little Mandolin, and do most of the singing, and my buddy plays mostly Lead guitar and a little banjo and spells me about every 4th or 5th song.

Good for you. Grab life by the b**ls I say.

Looking back on it, I'd have to say I damn sure did. At the time, I was just doing what came natural or sounded interesting... trying to list it all in one paragraph actually made me go "Damn, I actually did all that? I must be crazy!" :mrgreen:

Yes....we still gig...although at my "real job" I am on third shift (10:15-6:15)....so that makes it tough...I bid on a day shift job and should interview in a week or two....8:00-4:00 with Sat/Sun breakdays....a normal life after almost 25 years!

We do a lot of Piedmont style Blues...with a little Chicago and Delta mixed in...but we also do any type of music that transitions well into an acoustic duo. I play mostly rhythm guitar and a little Mandolin, and do most of the singing, and my buddy plays mostly Lead guitar and a little banjo and spells me about every 4th or 5th song.

Love that sound. Keep it up as long as you can. It's so edifying or just plain fun.

On a side note...I quit when I had my kids and then my son decided at 18 (out of the blue) that he wanted to play guitar so he self taught and started writing and singing. Now he is doing local gigs. It's pretty awesome.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy

Looking back on it, I'd have to say I damn sure did. At the time, I was just doing what came natural or sounded interesting... trying to list it all in one paragraph actually made me go "Damn, I actually did all that? I must be crazy!" :mrgreen:

Unconventional yes, crazy ... not so much. Unless of course you like that label! :2dance:

OK...now.I feel like a wimp....lol

Unconventional yes, crazy ... not so much. Unless of course you like that label! :2dance:

Yeah, always been a bit unconventional... and a bit crazy too, to tell the truth. I was an adrenaline junky until I got old enough to realize how lucky I was to still be alive.

Yeah, always been a bit unconventional... and a bit crazy too, to tell the truth. I was an adrenaline junky until I got old enough to realize how lucky I was to still be alive.

We always seem to recognize that in retrospect (provided you are allowed the luxury of retrospection) The complication is adjusting to life without it. How's that workin' for ya?

I gave up a lucrative but unsatisfying job in public finance in an attempt to write novels for a living. Fifteen years and 35 published novels later, my great adventure ended when I was physically unable to stand the grueling pace of travel, speaking engagements, and everything else it takes to maintain a career as a novelist.

I thought about writing about our gold prospecting adventures, and the time a wildfire almost enveloped our RV as we dodged burning branches on a dirt road out of the forest... but I wasn't nearly as scared or excited then as I was when I sent off my first manuscript, so... ;)

We always seem to recognize that in retrospect (provided you are allowed the luxury of retrospection) The complication is adjusting to life without it. How's that workin' for ya?

A bit difficult at times, to be honest.

I gave up a lucrative but unsatisfying job in public finance in an attempt to write novels for a living. Fifteen years and 35 published novels later, my great adventure ended when I was physically unable to stand the grueling pace of travel, speaking engagements, and everything else it takes to maintain a career as a novelist.

I thought about writing about our gold prospecting adventures, and the time a wildfire almost enveloped our RV as we dodged burning branches on a dirt road out of the forest... but I wasn't nearly as scared or excited then as I was when I sent off my first manuscript, so... ;)

WOW! 35 is a good body of published work. Awesome. What kind of novels were they, any specific genre? I love sci-fi, horror, and fantasy. If so I might have read some.

A bit difficult at times, to be honest.

I get that. It kinda sucks sometimes. But what are you gonna do? At least you had that time when you lived that way while you could. A lot of people have regrets because they wanted to and didn't. That would be much worse.

Sounds like time for you to write an adventure novel yourself! :)

Love that sound. Keep it up as long as you can. It's so edifying or just plain fun.

On a side note...I quit when I had my kids and then my son decided at 18 (out of the blue) that he wanted to play guitar so he self taught and started writing and singing. Now he is doing local gigs. It's pretty awesome.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy

It's mostly fun for me. I live in a pretty rural part of Pennsylvania. Gigs don't pay much....especially for an acoustic duo.....about $100-300 a gig(top end is "if you're lucky"). I have 10 years till I retire. According to my retirement statement...I'll have just turned 59.

Hopefully, if I get this new position and have every weekend off, we'll be able to play a little more and market ourselves better...perhaps even attract another Harp Player who has worked with us before, but wants steady gigs.

The only problem is....I suck at interviews.

Back
Top Bottom