• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the GOP's plan to handle inflation?

The GOP is the party of grievance, fear, anger, obstruction, sabotage, and just plain ol’ bellyachin’. It’s easy to be a critic. It’s much harder to actually get stuff done.

From civil rights and Medicare to the ACA, the Dems have been the party of action. Sure it hasn’t been perfect, but thank goodness someone’s doing some positive, useful work!

It's much easier to destroy and more difficult to construct whatever is built. Right now, the Rep/cons are destroying democracy. I don't see responsive action from the Dems in either defending or building on our American democracy.

Why would they turn on the guy who gave them tax cuts, on the backs of his own supporters?
Because Trump tried to slow down their slave labor cash cow.

Nothing, do what they always do, blame liberals, people of color and immigrants.

The wealthy are making huge profits so republicans are happy

Because Trump tried to slow down their slave labor cash cow.

Trump never had any plan to bring back that labor. You try to bring that labor back here and pay higher wages for it, can you tell us what's gonna happen to inflation? It will completely tank the entire economy.

He knew it was a silly idea. It was all lies and campaign rhetoric. Like Obama's secret birth certificate and claims of rigged election, it was just another lie to get your vote. In practice, this is what happened:

Haha, and it's funny to think you keep for falling for his lies, every. single. time- even after so many of them. How many more of them are you planning to fall for? As long as he keeps lying and just telling things you want to hear? "Just tell me sweet little lies"?

Democrats are in power and control every lever of gov't for the time being, and the OP wants to know what the GOP is going to do about the problems that their policies, executive orders, and agency directives created.

Just remember people - they're in power, and they don't know what to do.

November can't come soon enough.
You did not answer the question asked as we are looking forward to November. The GOP is complaining about inflation, so what is their plan. Just saying that the Dems are in power is not enough, answer the question asked in the OP.

Trump never had any plan to bring back that labor. You try to bring that labor back here and pay higher wages for it, can you tell us what's gonna happen to inflation? It will completely tank the entire economy.

He knew it was a silly idea. It was all lies and campaign rhetoric. Like Obama's secret birth certificate and claims of rigged election, it was just another lie to get your vote. In practice, this is what happened:

Haha, and it's funny to think you keep for falling for his lies, every. single. time- even after so many of them. How many more of them are you planning to fall for? As long as he keeps lying and just telling things you want to hear? "Just tell me sweet little lies"?

Trump brought back over 300, 000 manufacturing jobs before COVID hit.
He must have had a magic wand, like Obama said.

First, it can not be done overnight. Second, let the Feds do their work and slow down the economy. We were all in an alt over the speed the economy and employment grew, but it is part of the inflationary problem. We all complained about the slow growth under Obama, but it was constant growth with very low inflation. Growing at the present rate is part of the inflationary problem. The Feds did not act soon enough and they are supposed to be looking out 6 months to a year in advance, but they dropped the ball. We have to correct the supply chain problems and not make it worse like Abbot did for political reasons in Texas. Then we have to go after the excess profits being made by corporations. We can do that by pressure or if they do not react, then by taxes. We have so few corporations in certain businesses, that they can control the prices and profits. We let them choose to get broken up, limit prices or tax those profits. This will all take time and some political will, but we can control inflation.
"Then we have to go after the excess profits being made by corporations."

Some businesses are simply raising prices because the other guy is raising prices, a free for all.

Underpinning a least some of the inflation is flat out American greed.

I've seen prices on some things go up a 100 percent.

Trump brought back over 300, 000 manufacturing jobs before COVID hit.
He must have had a magic wand, like Obama said.

You should be hoping those jobs don’t all come back, or the inflation is going to go through the roof. If you think inflation bad enough now, you won’t believe what happens then.

You are swimming in a sea of his lies and things you wanting to hear, rather than the truth. Time to wake up and realize you are worshipping a false cult prophet selling lies and false hope for personal power.

That’s OK. It can happen to any of us. But at some point you’re going to have to wake up and come to grips with that hard truth.

So it's just the cartoonist's thinking that's 40 years out of date.

Reality check--Democrats are the elitist country club party now and have been for a while. Hourly paid people voted Trump.

I am not going to take this seriously. The administration's hostility to fossil fuels is too well documented.

To a significant extent, I agree. The administration can only affect small changes in the short term. It's the reason the first year of any new President's term is viewed as a carryover from the previous administration. Longer-term, the economy can be shaped.

The Obama administration kept interest rates as close to zero as possible and took steps to prevent inflationary growth. It's a heavy-handed method, but it prevented a recession. Trump's team was dealing with rising interest rates, an economy well into a down portion of the curve, and eventually COVID. While the results look similar, except for the COVID shock, Trump did a much better job.
Good post, except the fossil fuels part. Inflation is world wide, it seems, and Biden gets he blame. Hostility to fossil fuels is by no means objection all per se, given the world wide consensus that we need to seek alternatives. The oil problems caused by Russia-Ukraine were not predictable, and I assume that inflation was a normal reaction to our emergence from Covid lockdown.

You did not answer the question asked as we are looking forward to November. The GOP is complaining about inflation, so what is their plan. Just saying that the Dems are in power is not enough, answer the question asked in the OP.

This thread is you standing at a fatal drunk driving car crash, waving your hands and blocking the view with sheets and tarps, asking passersby what they're going to do to stop this carnage.

Good post, except the fossil fuels part. Inflation is world wide, it seems, and Biden gets he blame. Hostility to fossil fuels is by no means objection all per se, given the world wide consensus that we need to seek alternatives. The oil problems caused by Russia-Ukraine were not predictable, and I assume that inflation was a normal reaction to our emergence from Covid lockdown.
The problems caused by Russia/Ukraine are not Biden's fault. Saying that they were not predictable is less true. The signs were there to read.

Domestic production is where the administration has had the greatest negative impact. There have been lengthy threads on the subject.

Nope. Try again.
Since you are one of the examples, your denial is just that--denial.

The problems caused by Russia/Ukraine are not Biden's fault. Saying that they were not predictable is less true. The signs were there to read.

Domestic production is where the administration has had the greatest negative impact. There have been lengthy threads on the subject.

Since you are one of the examples, your denial is just that--denial.
I'm an example of blaming the republicans for inflation? Can you show me where I've done that?

I'm an example of blaming the republicans for inflation? Can you show me where I've done that?
You are an example of blaming Republicans when Democrats are in control and every other time as well. You also have it in your sig.

Don't feel bad. The cult does it too.

You are an example of blaming Republicans when Democrats are in control and every other time as well. You also have it in your sig.

Don't feel bad. The cult does it too.
You haven't provided an example, you just blustered. try again.

I have talking heads on TV, the GOP and cons on this board complain about inflation, but can you tell me what the GOP will do about it when they win in November. I am sure they will pass every cultural policy they can to appease their base, but the real problem is inflation. Everything else in the economy is humming along, but inflation is hurting us. The only thing the GOP seems to be able to do is pass tax cuts for the wealthy and leave the handling of inflation to the Feds. The Feds could raise their rates to 10%-15% and it would not check inflation. I have read that 60% of inflation is due to profit taking by the corporations and looking at the huge profits, I an believe that. The problem is, the GOP will have nothing to do with pressuring the corporations to reduce prices. They are the major source of the GOP's campaign funds and they are not going to kill the goose that is laying their golden eggs. They may complain about Biden's spending, but the deficit has been cut in half and had no effect on inflation. The only other arrow they have is tax cuts, and how is tax cuts for the wealthy going to stop inflation. So what is the GOP's plan?
Stop printing money for one thing
Start producing oil/gas to reduce the cost of transporting good.

Start producing oil/gas to reduce the cost of transporting good.
How do you expect to do that? Are you in favour of the government taking over the oil industry?

Doesn't matter much since the oil executives have all stated publicly that their 2022 business plans are focused on shareholder value through stock buybacks, and NOT on returning to precovid production levels.
ETA I'm trying to link to an excellent Time article explaining it all but having problems doing it from my phone. Here is one paragraph but I'll provide the entire link later

"Jeff Ritenour, Chief Financial Officer at Devon Energy, an Oklahoma City-based oil and gas company, described at CERAWeek a “fundamental shift” that his business made to use profits to pay down debt, provide a reliable dividend to shareholders and buy back shares. In order to do that, the company has maintained a “low reinvestment ratio”—meaning it limits its investment in new production. Similar approaches have played out at firms across the industry and made “capital discipline” industry orthodoxy."

Last edited:
I have talking heads on TV, the GOP and cons on this board complain about inflation, but can you tell me what the GOP will do about it when they win in November. I am sure they will pass every cultural policy they can to appease their base, but the real problem is inflation. Everything else in the economy is humming along, but inflation is hurting us. The only thing the GOP seems to be able to do is pass tax cuts for the wealthy and leave the handling of inflation to the Feds. The Feds could raise their rates to 10%-15% and it would not check inflation. I have read that 60% of inflation is due to profit taking by the corporations and looking at the huge profits, I an believe that. The problem is, the GOP will have nothing to do with pressuring the corporations to reduce prices. They are the major source of the GOP's campaign funds and they are not going to kill the goose that is laying their golden eggs. They may complain about Biden's spending, but the deficit has been cut in half and had no effect on inflation. The only other arrow they have is tax cuts, and how is tax cuts for the wealthy going to stop inflation. So what is the GOP's plan?

Inflation has two general halves:

1. Tight supplies.
2. Wrong headed monetary policies by government.

The half that is based on wrong headed monetary policy is a condition of the UNIPARTY arranging a system that allows easy theft from the American People by the lying thieves.

Until and unless the excessive growth of spending is curtailed, we are in a bad way. That half of the problem will not be corrected while the same ol' same ol' rolls forward.

Tight supplies is a self correcting issue in a free market.

@Outlook , here is the complete article. Quite a good one in my opinion. I know gas prices are a huge problem and I also know the political reality of who pays the political price when voters are feeling the impacts of inflation. That's the way it goes, has always gone.......but to me, the underlying problems are important to understand even though they don't change the pocketbook reality.

When the real problems are understood then real solutions can be found......

@Outlook , here is the complete article. Quite a good one in my opinion. I know gas prices are a huge problem and I also know the political reality of who pays the political price when voters are feeling the impacts of inflation. That's the way it goes, has always gone.......but to me, the underlying problems are important to understand even though they don't change the pocketbook reality.

When the real problems are understood then real solutions can be found......

Good article. I don't blame investors. Looks like sloppy management to me.

Back
Top Bottom