• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the GOP's plan to handle inflation?

What do you want to cut, really asking? I once said the same thing as you said to a congressman and he asked me that question. Then he went on to say that behind every dollar spent in Washington is some group, whether it is for defense or other spending. Each such group is against cutting their budget and in fact NEEDS it to increase. Each such budget item then probably effects some of a congressman's constituent group. To lose any group in an election means probably losing their seat, so,it is hard to vote for actual cuts in budgets. This might be a very good argument for term limits.
You start by doing a clean sheet of paper budget, existing programs all terminated. No more baseline budgeting. I would start with a 20% haircut from the previous years income as the start of the budget.

Democrats are in power and control every lever of gov't for the time being, and the OP wants to know what the GOP is going to do about the problems that their policies, executive orders, and agency directives created.

Just remember people - they're in power, and they don't know what to do.

November can't come soon enough.

Sorry, not buying that line.

- Seems you are fine with the GOP not presenting any ideas of what they would do if they were the majority.
(There are elections coming up. Don't you want to know what a candidate's recommendations are?
- Inflation is not a Dem or Rep issue.

Why answer your question. You dodged mine.

Congress needs to find a way to work together along with the Fed Reserve to figure out the best way to fight inflation.
I'm not selling a line, just answering your question.
I'm not really that interested in what a candidate thinks they can or should do about inflation, I'm more interested in what the Fed will do which is why I asked what you think they should be doing.

There is no plan. All that matters is obtaining a majority.

I'm not selling a line, just answering your question.
I'm not really that interested in what a candidate thinks they can or should do about inflation, I'm more interested in what the Fed will do which is why I asked what you think they should be doing.
The thread title is " what is the gops plan to handle inflation.

The thread is not about the Fed (Federal Reserve) is doing about inflation. You could start a thread to discuss it.

Since Congress controls the purse strings of the federal government, shouldn't Congress get the US fiscal house in order?

The thread title is " what is the gops plan to handle inflation.

The thread is not about the Fed (Federal Reserve) is doing about inflation. You could start a thread to discuss it.

Since Congress controls the purse strings of the federal government, shouldn't Congress get the US fiscal house in order?
I didn't ask what the Fed is doing about inflation, I know the answer to that question.
The "they" I probably should have made more clear refers to Congress, and what you think they should be doing?
What do you think either party could or should do about inflation?
Which party do you think has the best answer to handling inflation?
Does either party actually have a plan to handle inflation?
You've suggested that Congress needs to find a way to work together, why shouldn't we ALL try to find a way to work together in finding a reasonable and rational solution to all our issues regardless of political party affiliation?

There is no plan. All that matters is obtaining a majority.
Don't be silly.

Of course, there is a plan--cut government social spending and drill-baby-drill.

Imagine how much worse off we'd be right now if the Democrats were allowed to pass BBB.

I have talking heads on TV, the GOP and cons on this board complain about inflation, but can you tell me what the GOP will do about it when they win in November. I am sure they will pass every cultural policy they can to appease their base, but the real problem is inflation. Everything else in the economy is humming along, but inflation is hurting us. The only thing the GOP seems to be able to do is pass tax cuts for the wealthy and leave the handling of inflation to the Feds. The Feds could raise their rates to 10%-15% and it would not check inflation. I have read that 60% of inflation is due to profit taking by the corporations and looking at the huge profits, I an believe that. The problem is, the GOP will have nothing to do with pressuring the corporations to reduce prices. They are the major source of the GOP's campaign funds and they are not going to kill the goose that is laying their golden eggs. They may complain about Biden's spending, but the deficit has been cut in half and had no effect on inflation. The only other arrow they have is tax cuts, and how is tax cuts for the wealthy going to stop inflation. So what is the GOP's plan?

Maybe we'll start a campaign on blaming everything on everything else and anything but us, and follow in the footsteps of this great presidency and congress.

That we are well into the 2nd year of Bidens presiden cy and STILL all the leftists can do is shit themselves and shriek abourt Trump and what THE OTHER GUYS would do if THEY took over ...and give not a single **** about how inept their party is...well...its very telling......

That we are well into the 2nd year of Bidens presiden cy and STILL all the leftists can do is shit themselves and shriek abourt Trump and what THE OTHER GUYS would do if THEY took over ...and give not a single **** about how inept their party is...well...its very telling......

Would you provide a link to any information that the Republican party has proposed to deal with the US inflation?

We all know what Biden and the Fed Reserve has done. The thread is what is the GOP plan. I have not heard any significant proposals other than statements on how high food, gas, etc is.

(ps. I am not a leftist, dem. Been a Republican most my life)

The GOP is the party of grievance, fear, anger, obstruction, sabotage, and just plain ol’ bellyachin’. It’s easy to be a critic. It’s much harder to actually get stuff done.

From civil rights and Medicare to the ACA, the Dems have been the party of action. Sure it hasn’t been perfect, but thank goodness someone’s doing some positive, useful work!

Why do they have to win in 2022? Why can't they create and push legislation now that encompasses all their great ideas?

I realize dems control Congress but that shouldn't stop repubs from showing us their ideas.

Have they?
Republicans are mostly evil cynical bitches totally bereft of ideas.

Sounds like someone's doing a lot of shrieking about trump alright. You really don't see what you did, do you?

Republicans :)

Doubtful. Trump handed Biden a well-tuned economy. Even a year of neglect is only dampening it a bit.

Watch the indicators, though. The Stock market has turned cautious, for example.

Not that I have noticed. You're just close to your party's center. That puts the other party far away.
Obama handed Trump a well-tuned economy.

Inflation is world wide. How is it Biden’s fault?

Obama handed Trump a well-tuned economy.
Not so much. Obama had the easy part, which is riding the economy out of a hole. Once you get to the midpoint the cental-tendencies switch and increases get harder. Trump took a decent economy into record territory.

Inflation is world wide. How is it Biden’s fault?
Only significant elements, such as fuel costs.

Not so much. Obama had the easy part, which is riding the economy out of a hole. Once you get to the midpoint the cental-tendencies switch and increases get harder. Trump took a decent economy into record territory.

Only significant elements, such as fuel costs.
And what did he do to cause those, which seem to be a worldwide problem?

As to Obama, as I understand it, the economy showed signs of life in the last year of Bush’s presidency.

Bottom line: presidents get blame or credit for the economy, when all they can really do is help prosperity or misery be more equally distributed, or through their fiscal policies, set up what might happen after they leave office. They deserve far more blame or credit for what they do internationally, but our political culture generally does not focus on that.

Damn.:oops:

That is a truly scary thought. All that extra money in the economy, tax cuts for the rich, pork for the Democrats. Yikes. (n)

You've been drinking the Kool-Aid. Is that 40-years old and you changed the name?
It's got a date on it.

DERP.

Yep. That's what the big multi-national corporations paid for when they spewed propaganda and bought Biden. Enjoy, suckers.
Willful ignorance is the worst kind, you know.

It's got a date on it.

DERP.
So it's just the cartoonist's thinking that's 40 years out of date.

Reality check--Democrats are the elitist country club party now and have been for a while. Hourly paid people voted Trump.

And what did he do to cause those, which seem to be a worldwide problem?
I am not going to take this seriously. The administration's hostility to fossil fuels is too well documented.

As to Obama, as I understand it, the economy showed signs of life in the last year of Bush’s presidency.

Bottom line: presidents get blame or credit for the economy, when all they can really do is help prosperity or misery be more equally distributed, or through their fiscal policies, set up what might happen after they leave office. They deserve far more blame or credit for what they do internationally, but our political culture generally does not focus on that.
To a significant extent, I agree. The administration can only affect small changes in the short term. It's the reason the first year of any new President's term is viewed as a carryover from the previous administration. Longer-term, the economy can be shaped.

The Obama administration kept interest rates as close to zero as possible and took steps to prevent inflationary growth. It's a heavy-handed method, but it prevented a recession. Trump's team was dealing with rising interest rates, an economy well into a down portion of the curve, and eventually COVID. While the results look similar, except for the COVID shock, Trump did a much better job.

Last edited:
Yep. That's what the big multi-national corporations paid for when they spewed propaganda and bought Biden. Enjoy, suckers.

Why would they turn on the guy who gave them tax cuts, on the backs of his own supporters?

Back
Top Bottom