• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is humanity's biggest problem?

Capitalism. It drives every major world problem.
Yeah everyone out here saying “greed” when the real problem is how our current system incentives and directs greed towards destructive behaviors.

What about it?
Causes all our problems. It begins with agriculture. Agriculture makes two things possible- we can live crowded together in cities and we can create a surplus and all our problems come from two questions. Who will control the surplus and who will rule the city?
We were much better off as hunter-gatherers.

Causes all our problems. It begins with agriculture. Agriculture makes two things possible- we can live crowded together in cities and we can create a surplus and all our problems come from two questions. Who will control the surplus and who will rule the city?
We were much better off as hunter-gatherers.

I liked that answer, months ago. Agriculture and cities aren't the answer.

I liked that answer, months ago. Agriculture and cities aren't the answer.
I think that's the root of the creation myth in Genesis. The Garden of Eden represents the primitive state of innocence of hunter-gatherers. Losing that primitive state means becoming agricultural- Cain was a planter, Able a herder and we know how things went after that.

I think that's the root of the creation myth in Genesis. The Garden of Eden represents the primitive state of innocence of hunter-gatherers. Losing that primitive state means becoming agricultural- Cain was a planter, Able a herder and we know how things went after that.

You think that popular religious book was trying to tell us to stay primitive?

You think that popular religious book was trying to tell us to stay primitive?
No, I think it's an allegorical (sp?) description of what happened. By the time the story was created it was already too late.
It's not about snakes and apples. We lost our innocence when we learned to call things good and evil. Before that, everything just was.

No, I think it's an allegorical (sp?) description of what happened. By the time the story was created it was already too late.
It's not about snakes and apples. We lost our innocence when we learned to call things good and evil. Before that, everything just was.

You think that popular religious book was reporting the news?

You think that popular religious book was reporting the news?
Allegory. It's an allegory, a parable.

Definition of allegory

1: the expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence.

Allegory. It's an allegory, a parable.

Definition of allegory

1: the expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence.

I don't believe I misunderstood.

You think that popular religious book was reporting something.

I don't believe I misunderstood.

You think that popular religious book was reporting something.
Here's another allegory from a different religious book...

"Chuang Tzu with his bamboo pole was fishing in the Pu river. The prince of Chu sent two vice-chancellors with a formal document: We hereby appoint you prime minister.

Chuang Tzu held his bamboo pole still.Watching the Pu river, he said:“I am told there is a sacred tortoise offered and canonized three thousand years ago,venerated by the prince, wrapped in silk,in a precious shrine on an altar in the temple.

What do you think? Is it better to give up one’s life and leave a sacred shell as an object of cult in a cloud of incense for three thousand years,or to live as a plain turtle dragging its tail in the mud?”

“For the turtle”, said the vice-chancellor,“better to live and drag its tail in the mud!”

“Go home!”, said Chuang Tzu.“Leave me here to drag my tail in the mud.”

Do you say this is reporting, this is news? It's exactly what the Garden of Eden story is, a parable meant to make a point about the human condition.

They choose for themselves what is right and wrong instead of listening to Jehovah...

Capitalism isn't a root cause.

Unfair and rigged government favoritisms promoting corruption and crime.
That’s cart/horse, chicken/egg territory there.

Back
Top Bottom