• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is humanity's biggest problem?

Humans.

Is that short enough?

We have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo

Gotta disagree. While there are problems, Civ is a net plus.
We've had some interesting comments/discussion in this thread. I am certain you can offer more than citing humanity as the biggest threat to humanity. Given that a life ending asteroid/meteor strike in the next 10 millions years is unlikely, it's more a less a given that we are our own worst enemy. So the underlying question from the OP would seem to be why are we our own worst threat?

That’s cart/horse, chicken/egg territory there.

Perhaps. Eliminate the payment systems delivering the bribes and payoffs from government and the folks getting paid will evaporate as well.

It's going to raise Hell in the Washington DC area.

Not to worry. AGW will do away with fresh water all together and we won't need be concerned with "filthy" water. Problem solved.
Reminds me of a Ghandi quote. "I used to complain that I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet"

We've had some interesting comments/discussion in this thread. I am certain you can offer more than citing humanity as the biggest threat to humanity. Given that a life ending asteroid/meteor strike in the next 10 millions years is unlikely, it's more a less a given that we are our own worst enemy. So the underlying question from the OP would seem to be why are we our own worst threat?
I'll tell you a couple of things I don't think are huge problems--fossil fuels and climate change.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman said it best in Good Omens:
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

I like your overall attitude, especially your handling of my reply. But I see at least one point of yours that I'd like to discuss.

That sure seems like an outmoded notion.

I say that that's not why immigration is important.

Immigration made America an economic force? Is America's economic force all good?

I agree, but I'm trying to focus on what should be done, and I'm trying to be more positive about what can be done.

Also @Razoo.

Saying immigration to grow the labor force and support economic growth is outmoded is to say it has previously been the mode. So, what has replaced it? Technology advances economic growth, but not like immigration/pop growth.

So, why is immigration important? It does give us a multicultural nation. But economic growth gives us the wealth for the people's well-being. That may not be happening as much as it should, but it's there to be had.

What's bad about America's economic force? I don't think the wealth from our economy is being fairly shared. What else is not good about it?

Your response requirement was for the fewest words, which cannot convey all that needs be said as to what should be done as you now ask. To support people's well-being requires economic growth by a labor force fed by immigration. There is much more than that, too. Like, a fair system for the distribution of wealth. Overcoming racism to become an advanced society. Defending democracy...What are your suggestions?

Reminds me of a Ghandi quote. "I used to complain that I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet"

Maybe that explains Ghandi going barefoot. If I met a man who had no lower body, I'd still wear pants.

Maybe that explains Ghandi going barefoot. If I met a man who had no lower body, I'd still wear pants.
During the pandemic there was a sign on the door of the barber shop I go to that said:

MASKS REQUIRED: Having a big nose is no excuse, I still have to wear pants.

Back
Top Bottom