• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is God's Name

IDK, maybe because it purports to be the word of God ?

Not to the point that the qur'an makes that claim. The bible is believed by some to be inspired by God, whereas the qur'an is believed to be a verbatim sermon FROM God. He has no name in Islam. "Allah" is simply Arabic for "The God".

But the King James Bible states God's name as Jehovah on one or two occasions does it not ?
It used to, in older versions...Exodus 6:3 and Psalm 83:18, to name 2, but in the newer versions, even the KJ omits God's name...

Please explain the irony

I doubt that you understand what it means.

Your entire thread is a weak attempt at a wind-up.

What do you think irony is?

Not to the point that the qur'an makes that claim. The bible is believed by some to be inspired by God, whereas the qur'an is believed to be a verbatim sermon FROM God. He has no name in Islam. "Allah" is simply Arabic for "The God".

So if the Bible is inspired by God, it would be a logical place to start to look for his name, no ?

It used to, in older versions...Exodus 6:3 and Psalm 83:18, to name 2, but in the newer versions, even the KJ omits God's name...

Not in my on-line KJ version:

So if the Bible is inspired by God, it would be a logical place to start to look for his name, no ?
As with any personal relationship, it is vital to know/use that person's name, no?

Be that as it may, the fact is that for nearly 500 years the KJ version referenced God's name as Jehovah.
Yeah, that was my point...they've removed it in later versions...

As with any personal relationship, it is vital to know/use that person's name, no?

Indeed, if you met the president of the USA, you might address him as Mr President, but if he wanted a personal relationship with you, he would tell you to call him Joe.

And God would fear that because... ?
It's the people who created the belief system who were afraid of curses.
I heard the whole Samson having his hair cut was about curses, too. If you had the person's hair, you could put a curse on them.

Yeah, that was my point...they've removed it in later versions...

They removed God's name in all early versions apart from one or two instances....

So perhaps mainstream Christian thought doesn't want to know God's name, but once it did (at least those who followed the KJ version).

It's the people who created the belief system who were afraid of curses.

Then can you explain the existence of other gods and their names ?

Zeus, Apollo, Ra, Isis, Osiris....

What made the Israelites more fearful of curses do you think ?

Back
Top Bottom