• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is God's Name

No, you still refuse to provide an example to show it is so
I wonder why ?

That still wouldn't preclude you from giving an example

I didn't claim to
And neither did you - now you're just dodging

I asked you to give an example (singular not plural) of a personal relationship you'd had with someone, where you didn't know theie name
As expected, you can't

It is impossible (personal relationship with a name) based on human history
That you can't disprove it, speaks volumes

B.F.Sklinner said a scientific statement is one capable of being disproved, and you've amply displayed that you can't

QED.

You still don't know what it means for something to be possible. QED.

This is a clip of someone trying to pronounce God's name, which is ineffable.

A non-response.
Even your choice of the word "he" is an assumption.

It was the response to a non-question
My choice of "He" is not an assumption, it's more tradition, but substitute "It" if that makes you feel better

Is that the only role you can imagine? An all-or-nothing role?

No, as I said, God takes any role he wants to
With him, anything it possible (or if you prefer, with it)

As you yourself have stated above, might it not assume any role it wants

Yes

Again proceeding from an assumption. Having read the bible a couple of times in my youth - roughly 50 years ago - it was crystal clear to me that the book was written by men, about men, and for men.

That would be your opinion

I have no reason to suspect or believe that the creator of the universe is petty, capricious, racist, misogynist, vengeful, jealous, etc. etc - and yet the authors of the bible clearly were all those things. If that is the only god that you can conceive of, then you're describing a god made in man's image - not the reverse. For me it has always been obvious that the author of the universe is not the author of that book.

Again your opinion

And yet both of those topics do constitute a relationship - as do many others. Personal relationships take many forms. Even conversations with total strangers can be very personal and intimate.

One-off conversations with strangers do not make for a personal relationship, regardless of what intimate details of themselves they might reveal

Just as an example, there's a woman who lives in an apartment building directly across the street from me...it is, by any definition, a personal relationship - and yet I have no clue what her name is...

And therein lies your problem, you don't know what a personal relationship is
Next time you talk to her, ask her name. Perhaps invite her into your home and discover what a real personal relationship is

Just more false assumptions on your part. You seem to have more than your share.

No, it's your who're assuming a personal relationship that doesn't exist

...a person who has delivered your mail for more than a decade knows quite a bit about you.

Speak for yourself
And for me, I would hope not

Easier than you think. Most of them I do know - 80% - and there are others who know me and call me by name, but whose name I've never known.

Then they may as well be strangers because that's how you treat them

Then I can only assume by what you're revealed that you have a very lofty definition of what it takes to have a "personal relationship". My bar is lower.

Just more false assumptions on your part. You seem to have more than your share.

We know the name that He wants us to call Him - FATHER

That is NOT a name, that is a title, a position, like Lord, Your Honor, Mailman, Barman etc

You can believe it or not. But I know that I do.

No, at best you only believe so. In actual fact you don't. You're either blind or deceiving yourself

Furthermore, God knows each and every one of His creation - completely.

Maybe so, but so what ?

Joe Biden is not God.
He knows squat about me. So, there.

Who said he was ?
You know nothing of him
QED: You don't have a personal relationship with Joe Biden

.......refers to their names used by people for their gods.

Anyway - even if their SATANIC gods/idols were able to communicate - how do people know that the gods gave their real names?
Satan is the master of lies - how can you believe what he says?

Who says they're Satanic ?
Do you even know what that word means ?

Satan can say his name is ............................Joe!

???

We know His name. But, we can't pronounce it.
BIG DIFFERENCE.

So what is God's name ?
Do you really think God's name would exist about 7,000 times in the Bible for NO reason ?

If a Martian comes to you and gave his name which you can't pronounce because it is a different language and he doesn't use our alphabets or phonetic sounds

Assuming you mean "alien" and not "Martian", if I was unable to pronounce his name, it's quite probable that he couldn't pronounce mine
So, I don't know about you, but I'd settle for him using a version, that he could pronounce - you know like Jehovah

Do you know the real name of your dog?
Yes or no.

Yes

I don't mean the name that you gave it - I mean the name that its mother gave it!

Are you really claiming that female dogs give unique names or sounds to their offspring. I am skeptical to say the least, where is your evidence of this ?
In the USA you have a right to determine your own name, regardless of what your mother called you
So the boxer Cassius Clay became Mohammed Ali
Your name is WHATEVER you want it to be and what you want others to call you by

Maybe you're so hanged up with names that you cannot bring yourself to have a personal relationship without knowing their "real" names......

*Hung up ("Hanged" is when you're executed by suspending you with a rope, by the neck)

You can't have a personal relationship with someone whose name you don't know

He gave us a name to call Him - a name that has a deeper meaning since it reflects the kind of PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP He wants to have with us - that of a benevolent Father to His children!

IMHO - that's truly who HE IS to us! OUR CREATOR, OUR FATHER.

"Father" is not a name.

You still don't know what it means for something to be possible. QED.

You have to provide an example, to know that it's possible

Is it possible for a man to fly ?
Yes or no

Moving the goalposts, I see. A chapter is very many verses, not just a few. The only thing disingenuous are all of your posts.

So what if a chapter is many verses?
I said you only need to quote a few to give context, not a whole chapter
Stop moving the goalposts.

Last edited:
Of course, you can.

How ?

What matters is how you know them - by the name you know them, and through your interactions with them.
Especially so, when you are dependent on them.

Possibly, but if you don't know their name, you can't have a personal relationship with them

Did you know your mom and dad's name right after you're born? Of course, not.

Could you speak or even understand words right after you were born ?
Could you worship God ?
Could you pray ?
Stupid analogy
You should stick to you theory of female dogs giving names to their young

And you - like all infant loved and cared for - have had a personal relationship - a STRONG and DEEP personal relationship - a BOND -
that most likely will last till death.

When you're old enough to understand what a relationship is, yes you may still address your parents by their title mother/father, but you will know their names.

It was the response to a non-question
Yes - a non-response. A question isn't required for a response. One can respond to a statement. Response to a question is called an answer. I didn't call your non-response a non-answer.
My choice of "He" is not an assumption, it's more tradition, but substitute "It" if that makes you feel better
I appreciate your concession to what you think are my feelings - but that isn't the point. Tradition or not, calling god "he" is an assumption.
No, as I said, God takes any role he wants to
With him, anything it possible (or if you prefer, with it)

That would be your opinion
Is it? Read on.
Again your opinion
?? Is it? NO - it isn't. God's demands upon mankind for worship are petty. Penalties do not befit the crimes. And they are not applied the same to all men - ergo capricious. Nor are they the same from the OT to the NT - another example of the capriciousness of the bible's god. The racism in the bible runs rampant. Beyond mere concessions to slavery, there are actual proscriptions for it. Just to have a "chosen people" is a racist position - by definition. Period. Not my opinion. Misogyny? It runs through and through from Genesis onward. Women are an afterthought - they come second right from creation itself. Women are chattel - second class citizens. Laws call for the stoning of women where men do not suffer the same sentence for the same acts. The apostles? Men. The disciples? Men. The prophets?? Men. All in a book written by men, about men, and for men. At least to anyone with open eyes. The god of the bible is misogynist. Period And Vengeful?? "Vengeance is mine sayeth the lord." Not my opinion - his own boastful claim! And jealous ?? The same thing. He calls himself a jealous god!! Again, not my opinion.

Anyone who thinks these things are merely my opinion simply hasn't read the book themselves - or they've read it with blinders on that shield them from the meaning of what the actual words say. It says what it says, and it describes god pretty damned clearly to anyone who reads it with even an ounce of intellectual honesty. To concluded otherwise is to suffer total delusion of the worst sort.

My opinion? No. HIS OPINION !!
One-off conversations with strangers do not make for a personal relationship, regardless of what intimate details of themselves they might reveal
Your opinion
And therein lies your problem,
Assumes facts not in evidence
you don't know what a personal relationship is
See my last comment
Next time you talk to her, ask her name. Perhaps invite her into your home and discover what a real personal relationship is
Presumptive in the extreme.
No, it's your who're assuming a personal relationship that doesn't exist
Another of your opinions
Speak for yourself
And for me, I would hope not

Then they may as well be strangers because that's how you treat them

More assumptions - more opinions

if you don't know their name, you can't have a personal relationship with them
Sure ya can...haven't you ever heard anyone say "I am good friends with whats er name"?:giggle:

Yes or no

You still don't know what possible means, do you? How would not sharing name prevent a personal relationship between two people? They can still converse and interact. They can still do things together. Those things remain possible without the revealing of names. And that is what constitutes a personal relationship. Calling someone by name is not essential to a personal relationship.

It is not possible for a man to fly without the aid something else. So a man can't fly because human beings can't fly.

Is it possible for a bird to fly?

You moved the goalposts. He said he didn't want to post a chapter because it would be a wall of text. What he said is factual. What you said is irrelevant.

That is NOT a name, that is a title, a position, like Lord, Your Honor, Mailman, Barman etc

No, at best you only believe so. In actual fact you don't. You're either blind or deceiving yourself

Maybe so, but so what ?

Who said he was ?
You know nothing of him
QED: You don't have a personal relationship with Joe Biden

Who says they're Satanic ?
Do you even know what that word means ?

???

So what is God's name ?
Do you really think God's name would exist about 7,000 times in the Bible for NO reason ?

Assuming you mean "alien" and not "Martian", if I was unable to pronounce his name, it's quite probable that he couldn't pronounce mine
So, I don't know about you, but I'd settle for him using a version, that he could pronounce - you know like Jehovah

Yes

Are you really claiming that female dogs give unique names or sounds to their offspring. I am skeptical to say the least, where is your evidence of this ?
In the USA you have a right to determine your own name, regardless of what your mother called you
So the boxer Cassius Clay became Mohammed Ali
Your name is WHATEVER you want it to be and what you want others to call you by

*Hung up ("Hanged" is when you're executed by suspending you with a rope, by the neck)

You can't have a personal relationship with someone whose name you don't know

"Father" is not a name.

Father is a name if someone chooses to go by that name. Any word can be a name.

I just told you! READ!

Possibly, but if you don't know their name, you can't have a personal relationship with them

Could you speak or even understand words right after you were born ?
Could you worship God ?
Could you pray ?
Stupid analogy
You should stick to you theory of female dogs giving names to their young

When you're old enough to understand what a relationship is, yes you may still address your parents by their title mother/father, but you will know their names.

Lol. You're not getting it, Rich.....or, you're being obtuse.

Review my responses to you. Anyway - I've answered your OP.

Bottom line:

Just because you are unable to establish a personal relationship with someone whose REAL name you don't know,
doesn't mean others can't.

Yes or no

Is it possible for a bird to fly?
Yes or no.

What he said is relevant. What you said is not.

Back
Top Bottom