• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What future for EU now in austerity?

I can understand having a truck or SUV if you live in a semi remote farming town.. but I do not understand why there is a need for an SUV or truck in say Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston and so on.. aka a city. But we are off topic :)

I live about 10 minutes outside of the second largest City (Worcester, MA) in all of New England. I'm about an hour outside of Boston, MA; Providence, RI; and Hartford, CT. My need for a larger vehicle is mainly based on the fact that my hobbies and interests require me to transport significant amounts of equipment on a regular basis. It's much easier to have a wagon/SUV than it is to rent a van for the 12-15 weekends a year that I need one.

I live about 10 minutes outside of the second largest City (Worcester, MA) in all of New England. I'm about an hour outside of Boston, MA; Providence, RI; and Hartford, CT. My need for a larger vehicle is mainly based on the fact that my hobbies and interests require me to transport significant amounts of equipment on a regular basis. It's much easier to have a wagon/SUV than it is to rent a van for the 12-15 weekends a year that I need one.

There is also the fact that you are a free man who is doing nothing illegal and can drive whatever you want without having to provide a reason or excuse.

Nope not arguing that it is a government subsidy --

[/sigh] Then we're talking about something completely different.

-- the US film industry isn't subsidized by government to remake British shows for their viewing audiences. They do so because there is more profit in cranking out remakes than there is in original content....and they hate paying union wages and residuals to American writers. lol

Correct, if something has been proven to work in another country then there is less risk in a private company producing the same product under licence. We have strayed very far from the idea of whether a govt subsidy or stimulus can help the economy.

Back on track however with austerity - at today's joint appearance by Clegg and Cameron the following statement -
And on Tuesday both Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg went further, arguing that austerity was not an end in itself but a means to an end of improving the economy and making life easier for people at home. In other words, a hint of sunshine amid the gloom.

"Austerity alone does not create growth," Mr Clegg said. It is a necessary but not sufficient step. But the end, what we are absolutely dedicated towards, is creating jobs, creating prosperity, creating investment, creating opportunity, creating optimism and hope in our country."

We may be seeing the first signs of recognition that people like me who bought into the reduction of the deficit also need to hear and see concrete plans and agenda for growth. I personally believe the two are not mutually exclusive ideals - that we can plan for growth and cut the deficit.

There is also the fact that you are a free man who is doing nothing illegal and can drive whatever you want without having to provide a reason or excuse.

dont think anyone was debating that Grant, touch dramatic

Back
Top Bottom