• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What future amendments do you want?

Not that I have a say, being Cdn and all, but it is time to do away with vice laws.
seriously!
people will do drugs, make em legal and under strict control, but legal anyways. there will still be illegal dealer but far fewer than now. also any revenue (via taxes) from legal drug sales can be used to open more rehab centers - win win.
prostitution is the oldest profession for a reason, will never be gotten rid of, legalize it, regulate it, require health care inspections, treat prostitutes like employees - paying income tax but also eligible for govt services when needed.
I know prostitution is demeaning to women, but some will prostitute anyways, so why not make it safer for them and their johns?
vice laws just fill jails, cost the taxpayers big bucks, and don't stop the vice.

Let's have fun here. For the purpose of this topic, assume there will definitely be a 28th amendment within your lifetime. Maybe two more amendments. What changes or additions do you want?

My picks: Abolish the Electoral College and set term limits for both chambers in Congress (two like the President).
Equal Rights Amendment, repeal the 2nd, popular vote

Not that I have a say, being Cdn and all, but it is time to do away with vice laws.
seriously!
people will do drugs, make em legal and under strict control, but legal anyways. there will still be illegal dealer but far fewer than now. also any revenue (via taxes) from legal drug sales can be used to open more rehab centers - win win.
prostitution is the oldest profession for a reason, will never be gotten rid of, legalize it, regulate it, require health care inspections, treat prostitutes like employees - paying income tax but also eligible for govt services when needed.
I know prostitution is demeaning to women, but some will prostitute anyways, so why not make it safer for them and their johns?
vice laws just fill jails, cost the taxpayers big bucks, and don't stop the vice.
Are you saying male prostitutes are not demeaned? You're right though. I thoroughly support taxing the heck out of vices (but not so much it drives people to break the law).

Are you saying male prostitutes are not demeaned? You're right though. I thoroughly support taxing the heck out of vices (but not so much it drives people to break the law).
ok ok I should have been gender neutral, but really, women and young girls suffer the most from keeping prostitution illegal.

ok ok I should have been gender neutral, but really, women and young girls suffer the most from keeping prostitution illegal.
When you think about it, what are the differences between earning an income as a prostitute or a professional athlete? Other than the obvious ones...

I'd like an amendment to ban American Cheese and only sell British cheese.

It would solve all your problems at a stroke.

The amount of people that want to ban assisted suicide amazes me. Let people make their own decisions for God's sake.

Those people just think about Jack Kevorkian helping suicidal people die "with dignity" instead of treat them with anti-depressant drugs and talk therapy. What they do not understand is assisted suicide really means if you know your quality of life is gone forever and the doctor says you will die soon anyway, it is better to do that than be forced to suffer a few weeks or months longer. It is the same phenomenon as asking your vet to euthanize a dying cat or dog.

I would be for the ERA, but not term limits. There are too many people that have been in Congress a long time that I think are doing a good job. Voters can end their terms if they choose.

The problem with a lack of term limits for Congress is people like Mitch McConnell. After a Senator or Representative is elected twice, all he cares about is being elected again . . . and again . . . and again. He does not really care about his constituents more than the ability to stay in office.

Aren't there term limits for these people at the state level?

Last edited:
I agree with assisted suicide becoming legal.

Currently I believe there are 9 states and the DC that allow for it. California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, and Wash.

And far as I know there has not been any widespread problem with that ability in those districts.

I realize it is hard for a family to agree on it. My years working in the hospital have seen families refuse to sign a No Code on a terminal patient. I used to just wish that family could witness what that loved one goes through during a code.

Sometimes I feel we give our dogs more diginity at the end of their lives than we do our loved ones.

A Constitutional amendment obviously is not necessary since some states already allow people to do it, but I am in total agreement. When my dad was in the hospital for complications of metastatic colon cancer removal, which included part of his liver, I thought, "If Dad was a cat he would have been euthanized." It was horrible to see him on life support just because he was a human instead of a feline.

Those people just think about Jack Kevorkian helping suicidal people die "with dignity" instead of treat them with anti-depressant drugs and talk therapy. What they do not understand is assisted suicide really means if you know your quality of life is gone forever and the doctor says you will die soon anyway, it is better to do that than be forced to suffer a few weeks or months longer. It is the same phenomenon as asking your vet to euthanize a dying cat or dog.

The problem with a lack of term limits for Congress is people like Mitch McConnell. After a Senator or Representative is elected twice, all he cares about is being elected again . . . and again . . . and again. He does not really care about his constituents more than the ability to stay in office.

Aren't there term limits for these people at the state level?

Exactly. I have a copy of The Final Exit, paperwork from Dignitas, should I ever need them, and we have assisted suicide here in CO. And if worse came to worse, there's always the car in the garage, lol. Or Fentanyl. (sp). I don't plan on possibly wasting away under morphine and using up all my family's resources.

The term limits......yep, people like McConnell are problems. But then there are people like Bernie Sanders, Sherrod Brown.....I wouldn't want them gone because of term limits. I can also see
a case being made that term limits for congress should be enacted by the states that elect them, not limited federally.

Equal Rights Amendment, repeal the 2nd, popular vote

Equal rights are already protected in the Constitution. Republicans need to stop arguing just because specific words such as "equality" are not explicit, the rights are nonexistent. For example, Amendments 13-15 gave blacks equal rights with whites. The Nineteenth Amendment gave women a right that previously was exclusive to men (voting). Partisan politics get in the way with everything else.

I always thought the Second Amendment is obsolete because before the 20th century everyone needed a gun, but the reasons for that totally disappeared over 50 years ago. However, it singles out the military as the one group that must have firearms.

Congressional term limits would render the U.S. all but ungovernable.

After enduring 2 months of awful negative personal attack ads, over a billion dollars of, mostly out of state money for the two Georgia runoff senate election. My first amendment would be worded something like, Only a living, breathing U.S. citizen can donate to a candidate that the living, breathing U.S. citizen can vote for. That all pacs and super pacs would have to consist of people who could vote for whichever candidate and could only accept donations from people that could vote for that candidate. Of course that would have to be tweaked and written into lawyerese. I feel like my, Georgia's two senators were bought by folks from out of states and don't represent me or any other Georgian.

The second one would outlaw gerrymandering. Something simple like all counties would have to remain whole as much as possible. If a state had 1-3 representatives only one county could be divided and carry that on up the line where 4-6 would allow only 2 counties could be divided etc. some cities have many more representatives or districts, so that would have to be addressed. Again this would have to be tweaked and written in lawyerese. Georgia has 14 representatives, I was able to draw the lines for all 14 with a stubby pencil and a sheet of paper where only 6 counties were divided. Just think what could be done with a computer program to do that.

That's my 2. I have no problem with the electoral college as we are a union of the several states and not one huge landmass direct democracy. Term limits, I think if the folks of a certain district want to continue to elect their representatives, that fine as long as my second amendment was enforce. since we have no term limits for congress, I repeal the 22nd amendment to make things even. It's totally wrong having term limits on the president without term limits on congressional members.
Sure need to ban out of state money.

I know for a fact only people who oppose all elective abortions starting before the woman knows she is pregnant want the Constitution to ban them. They are far-right evangelicals and Catholics.

Assisted suicide is along the same lines - bodily autonomy and choosing to end a life.

Whether to live or die should not be up to individuals.

Not an amendment but a Constitutional convention to reflect the times and changes we as a nation have gone through.

Ah yes, finally something that's worth my while. Dealing with the usual nonsense is getting tiring.
We need some sensible animal welfare in this country. Animals are not a commodity, they are not things. I am aware that we must eat, but we can feed ourselves humanely, can't we? Lets get together and do what's right. Spay, neuter and adopt from reputable breeders if we must, lets treat our livestock as humanely as possible, lets make the kill as humanely as possible.
Can we amend our constitution to show that we are human?

Let's have fun here. For the purpose of this topic, assume there will definitely be a 28th amendment within your lifetime. Maybe two more amendments. What changes or additions do you want?

My picks: Abolish the Electoral College and set term limits for both chambers in Congress (two like the President).

To have any chance of passing, an amendment has to be bipartisan. So it would have to be a fundamental change to our government that both sides can agree on.

How about limiting the President's pardoning powers? No pardoning of the Vice President, cabinet members, or immediate family. The courts would have to work out what "immediate family" means.

We will never be able to pass any amendments until the Republican logjam is broken.
But assuming that it is, first one is an amendment that redefines corporate personhood, second one is a permanent national voting standard and reinforcement of voting rights.

I honestly do not know why Congress thought just because one president was elected four times none of his successors should be allowed to do it. Only Franklin Roosevelt was nominated for a third term. But I do know each time FDR was elected, the margin of his victory got smaller.

I agree. Every congressmen has term limits. Every senator has term limits. You can't force voters to be smart. If dummies want to encourage congressmen to do nothing in order to preserve job security then that is the fault of the dumb ass voters not the system. I fully agree with term limits but we have had term limits since the constitution was written in 1789. Voters just don't always utilize that opportunity.

On a related note: I think some people get confused. Just because you don't like the congressman in Nebraska that is on his 15th term doesn't mean the people of Nebraska don't like him. You are supposed to like the congressman in your district. It is none of your business who the congressman is in another district. I think most people want term limits so there is a mechanism for getting rid of the congressmen of other districts that you do not like. That is not the purpose of elections. You aren't necessarily supposed to like the congressmen that does not represent you.

A good example is the widespread hatred of Nancy Pelosi. It doesn't matter if 434/435ths of the country hates Nancy Pelosi's guts and wish she would die. She only gets elected by 1/435th of the country. Duh. Do I really have to be Captain Obvious around here?

We will never be able to pass any amendments until the Republican logjam is broken.
But assuming that it is, first one is an amendment that redefines corporate personhood, second one is a permanent national voting standard and reinforcement of voting rights.

I do not understand how a corporation could gain the rights of a person. I assume you are referencing the confusion around the creation of Super PACs that allow corporations to donate money to political causes. That is some tricky area so I can't really pick a side on that. On the issue of permanent national voting standards and the reinforcement of voting rights I find that to be a little bit creepy. Taking power away from states sounds like a terrible precedent. Besides, what would it accomplish? Trump still would have lost. This amendment would only impact presidential elections. Does it really matter who the president is anyways? Presidents come and go. Congressmen and Senators stay for decades. I wish the house had the sole authority to elect a president. That would prevent the entire country from going into absolutely insane panic hyperventilation stupid moron dumb ass idiot monkey brain bonkers mode over one man that has very little power. God! Americans are stupid as **** over who the president is and it really doesn't even matter. The constant stupidity is nauseating. Making the election of the presidents more direct is a completely ****ing psychotic idea. Americans just get too damn stupid over who the president is. I don't want that process to become even more stupid. I'd like to see more focus on congressional elections myself and turn presidential elections into a yawn fest. Why would you want to make presidential elections more rabid and utterly insane than they already are?

The amendment I would like to see is the ability to publically auction each of my votes to the highest bidder. My votes would be public as is what I was paid for each vote. If I wanted my vote to be secret I could not auction the vote.

The amendment I would like to see is the ability to publically auction each of my votes to the highest bidder. My votes would be public as is what I was paid for each vote. If I wanted my vote to be secret I could not auction the vote.

That is an odd suggestion. Would this apply only to your vote or would other registered voters be allowed to auction their vote off as well?

That is an odd suggestion. Would this apply only to your vote or would other registered voters be allowed to auction their vote off as well?

Anybody that wants that wants to auction their ballot in whole or part, should. It must be public. If one wants their vote private they will not be able to sell the ballot in whole or part.

Equal rights are already protected in the Constitution. Republicans need to stop arguing just because specific words such as "equality" are not explicit, the rights are nonexistent. For example, Amendments 13-15 gave blacks equal rights with whites. The Nineteenth Amendment gave women a right that previously was exclusive to men (voting). Partisan politics get in the way with everything else.

I always thought the Second Amendment is obsolete because before the 20th century everyone needed a gun, but the reasons for that totally disappeared over 50 years ago. However, it singles out the military as the one group that must have firearms.
Where are women's rights enumerated? In one spot only, the 19th Amendment. If equal rights are protected, why can you be fired for being homosexual in some states?

Sure need to ban out of state money.

That would prevent the candidates from getting any money from unions, which are very important to get the best candidates elected. But I want political action committees and donations from individual corporations to disappear.

To have any chance of passing, an amendment has to be bipartisan. So it would have to be a fundamental change to our government that both sides can agree on.

How about limiting the President's pardoning powers? No pardoning of the Vice President, cabinet members, or immediate family. The courts would have to work out what "immediate family" means.

Immediate family already has a definition: mom, dad, brother, and sister. Donald Trump did not pardon any family members, so there is no issue here.

No Vice President has ever been pardoned. Gerald Ford only pardoned Richard Nixon.

Do you have any useful ideas?

Back
Top Bottom