• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What future amendments do you want?

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Let's have fun here. For the purpose of this topic, assume there will definitely be a 28th amendment within your lifetime. Maybe two more amendments. What changes or additions do you want?

My picks: Abolish the Electoral College and set term limits for both chambers in Congress (two like the President).

Right to life amendment: establishes universal healthcare, bans the death penalty, bans elective abortions, bans assisted suicide

Let's have fun here. For the purpose of this topic, assume there will definitely be a 28th amendment within your lifetime. Maybe two more amendments. What changes or additions do you want?

My picks: Abolish the Electoral College and set term limits for both chambers in Congress (two like the President).

I think the EC would be fine if the states simply divided their EC votes proportionality but id support it

Term limits is good for me too but would you change the years? IM asking because Representatives are 2 years a term and Senators are 6?

I think its a good question ill have to think some more on

I would DEFINITELY like to see gerrymandering go away and a national law the districts must be drawn by the census etc and it has to be two different independent bodies and Id like healthcare tackled to a degree, we will never fix it it will be on going forever but i dont want any party trying to roll back the basics.

Right to life amendment: establishes universal healthcare, bans the death penalty, bans elective abortions, bans assisted suicide

good lord why?
all elective abortions?
any assisted suicide?

thank god those would never pass

After enduring 2 months of awful negative personal attack ads, over a billion dollars of, mostly out of state money for the two Georgia runoff senate election. My first amendment would be worded something like, Only a living, breathing U.S. citizen can donate to a candidate that the living, breathing U.S. citizen can vote for. That all pacs and super pacs would have to consist of people who could vote for whichever candidate and could only accept donations from people that could vote for that candidate. Of course that would have to be tweaked and written into lawyerese. I feel like my, Georgia's two senators were bought by folks from out of states and don't represent me or any other Georgian.

The second one would outlaw gerrymandering. Something simple like all counties would have to remain whole as much as possible. If a state had 1-3 representatives only one county could be divided and carry that on up the line where 4-6 would allow only 2 counties could be divided etc. some cities have many more representatives or districts, so that would have to be addressed. Again this would have to be tweaked and written in lawyerese. Georgia has 14 representatives, I was able to draw the lines for all 14 with a stubby pencil and a sheet of paper where only 6 counties were divided. Just think what could be done with a computer program to do that.

That's my 2. I have no problem with the electoral college as we are a union of the several states and not one huge landmass direct democracy. Term limits, I think if the folks of a certain district want to continue to elect their representatives, that fine as long as my second amendment was enforce. since we have no term limits for congress, I repeal the 22nd amendment to make things even. It's totally wrong having term limits on the president without term limits on congressional members.

Right to life amendment: establishes universal healthcare, bans the death penalty, bans elective abortions, bans assisted suicide.

The death penalty is already banned in the Bill of Rights. States fail to realize that when they order it in guilty verdicts.

Universal health care is already constitutional. The problem is figuring out how to make that happen.

Repeal the 2nd Amendment (note this does not ban guns, only eliminates the insanity of everyone gets a gun)

Term limits on Congress Critters

Equal Rights....yeah, the one that almost passed 50 years ago

Equal Polling Representation: X number of people per polling place.

I think the EC would be fine if the states simply divided their EC votes proportionality but id support it

Term limits is good for me too but would you change the years? IM asking because Representatives are 2 years a term and Senators are 6?

I think its a good question ill have to think some more on

I would DEFINITELY like to see gerrymandering go away and a national law the districts must be drawn by the census etc and it has to be two different independent bodies and Id like healthcare tackled to a degree, we will never fix it it will be on going forever but i dont want any party trying to roll back the basics.
I have no problem with a candidate receiving all of a states electoral votes if that candidate received a majority of the vote, 50% plus one. I do however have a problem with awarding all one's state electoral votes to a plurality winner. In that case I'd go with the congressional district method Nebraska and Maine use today. The winner in each congressional districts gets that district's electoral vote with the final two electoral votes be awarded to the plurality winner of the state or the one who received the most votes.

The death penalty is already banned in the Bill of Rights. States fail to realize that when they order it in guilty verdicts.

literally every SCOTUS ever disagrees with you about that. Hence the need for the amendment.

Also where do to think the death penalty is banned in the constitution?

Universal health care is already constitutional. The problem is figuring out how to make that happen.

of course it is constitutional, however the amendment would create the right to healthcare and force it into existence

I repeal the 22nd amendment to make things even. It's totally wrong having term limits on the president without term limits on congressional members.

I honestly do not know why Congress thought just because one president was elected four times none of his successors should be allowed to do it. Only Franklin Roosevelt was nominated for a third term. But I do know each time FDR was elected, the margin of his victory got smaller.

Literally every SCOTUS ever disagrees with you about that. Hence the need for the amendment.

Also where do to think the death penalty is banned in the Constitution?

The 8th Amendment, which outlaws "cruel and unusual punishment" for convicted felons.

I have no problem with a candidate receiving all of a states electoral votes if that candidate received a majority of the vote, 50% plus one. I do however have a problem with awarding all one's state electoral votes to a plurality winner. In that case I'd go with the congressional district method Nebraska and Maine use today. The winner in each congressional districts gets that district's electoral vote with the final two electoral votes be awarded to the plurality winner of the state or the one who received the most votes.

My suggestion is simply if people are hard up to keep the EC id like to see it changed to it actually representing the people proportionally. But if it goes it goes and in 2021 im fine with that too

Good Lord why? All elective abortions? Any assisted suicide?

Thank God those would never pass.

I know for a fact only people who oppose all elective abortions starting before the woman knows she is pregnant want the Constitution to ban them. They are far-right evangelicals and Catholics.

Assisted suicide is along the same lines - bodily autonomy and choosing to end a life.

I know for a fact only people who oppose all elective abortions starting before the woman knows she is pregnant want the Constitution to ban them. They are far-right evangelicals and Catholics.

Assisted suicide is along the same lines - bodily autonomy and choosing to end a life.

Well i would/could never force my religion on others like that, its just weird and in many cases the exact opposite of what America is, what rights are etc.

It is one thing to force your religion on someone using freedom of speech and the press, which does happen, but that does not give our government the right to tell a pregnant woman, "You can't have an abortion because the Bible says so!"

I agree gerrymandering needs to go away. But is a constitutional amendment necessary for that to happen?

The amount of people that want to ban assisted suicide amazes me. Let people make their own decisions for gods sake. I would be for the ERA, but not term limits. There are too
many people that have been in congress a long time that I think are doing a good job. Voters can end their terms if they choose.

1.) It is one thing to force your religion on someone using freedom of speech and the press, which does happen
2.) but that does not give our government the right to tell a pregnant woman, "You can't have an abortion because the Bible says so!"
3.) I agree gerrymandering needs to go away. But is a constitutional amendment necessary for that to happen?

1.) how is religion forced on somebody using freedom of speech and press?
2.) agreed
3.) I dont see why not, i mean states are in charge of their elections but the fed is there for the protection of the people and this case seems like just their job. If a state has its representation majority skewed then the people are getting screwed and that seems like a perfect area to tackle. Be nice to regulate voting in otherways to as far as fair access and not waiting in line for 8 hours like in some districts

i have a few that i'd like to see. here are two of them :

1. get rid of the EC

2. eliminate political gerrymandering at any level

i would bet against either of those things happening.

I honestly do not know why Congress thought just because one president was elected four times none of his successors should be allowed to do it. Only Franklin Roosevelt was nominated for a third term. But I do know each time FDR was elected, the margin of his victory got smaller.
Exactly, when a president wins a second term, he's immediately a lame duck. Who after FDR might/could/would have sought a third term and won? Eisenhower could have won in 1960, but his poor health wouldn't let him run. Reagan is another that would have won a third term, again his health, Alzheimer would have prevented him from seeking a third term. Bill Clinton, maybe. G.W. Bush, too unpopular, would have been sure to lose. Obama, another maybe. But would have Clinton and Obama wanted a third term. The presidency certainly aged them quite a lot. But both were in good health.

even if Bill Clinton and or Obama sought a third term, whether or not they were reelected probably depends on who the GOP nominated to face them. Bill still had his women problems and the ACA was still immensely unpopular when Obama left office. Since FDR, I figure we left with only two president that might have wanted and might have won a third term.

The amount of people that want to ban assisted suicide amazes me. Let people make their own decisions for gods sake. I would be for the ERA, but not term limits. There are too
many people that have been in congress a long time that I think are doing a good job. Voters can end their terms if they choose.
I agree with assisted suicide becoming legal.
Currently I believe there are 9 states and the DC that allow for it. Calif, Colo, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, and Wash.

And far as I know there has not been any widespread problem with that ability in those districts.

I realize it is hard for a family to agree on it. My years working in the hospital have seen families refuse to sign a No Code on a terminal patient. I used to just wish that family could witness what that loved one goes through during a code.

Sometimes I feel we give our dogs more diginity at the end of their lives than we do our loved ones.

I agree with assisted suicide becoming legal.
Currently I believe there are 9 states and the DC that allow for it. Calif, Colo, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, and Wash.

And far as I know there has not been any widespread problem with that ability in those districts.

I realize it is hard for a family to agree on it. My years working in the hospital have seen families refuse to sign a No Code on a terminal patient. I used to just wish that family could witness what that loved one goes through during a code.

Sometimes I feel we give our dogs more diginity at the end of their lives than we do our loved ones.

We do treat our animals better, at least in death. CO had 100 something people requesting the medicine last year, and not all of them took it, or had the prescriptions filled. Definitely
not abused here.

I have had first hand experience with people hanging on in pain (my late father) well beyond their ability to communicate and being a mental vegetable, time to legalize assisted suicide (with guidelines and restrictions of course).

Back
Top Bottom