• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think is the single most important issue for any major American city?

What do you think is the single most important issue for any major American city?

• Total voters
I don't think party really matters that much at the local level. Granted, Democrats run most major cities, but it's hard to see much of a difference in how Dallas (ran by Democrats) is ran and Miami (ran by Republicans).
The problem is they are being run by the parties not leaders of the people. We don't fund candidates the rich and powerful do. The rich and powerful with the most money fund both parties. That means they own all the candidates. From the White House, both Houses of congress and the way down to the local elections if you vote you have a choice between their bought and paid for candidate R or D. No matter who we chose they win and we lose. Of course they use their media to make us feel like we won. They keep us equally divided and fighting each other while they reap the windfall from our taxes. It is not by coincidence that the people of this country have been divided equally for well over 100 years if one party was truly any better than the other. Just to show how stupid they know we are they have convinced us that a landslide victory is by less than a 5% margin of less than a 1/4 of the people who could vote. Just shows you how powerful their media is.

How do we measure whether "basic law and order" is happening in a city?
he said major cities. I’m guessing bigger cities like NY, LA, Chi, Houston Baltimore, St. Louis etc. A good measure would be, if the city is one of the top twenty cities in violent crime .

The most important issue for humanity is to stop destroying and degrading Earth's damaged ecosystems. That includes every city, town, industry, attitude, politics, business-- everything. Science has been telling us we're going to be in a world of hurt if we don't not only stop burning boatloads of fossil fuels every day, but start restoring all of the biosphere.

The industrial revolution needs a truly green revolution. The "green revolution" of chemical inputs, destruction of habitats, moncrops, etc is a part of the problems.

There's not a single place on or near Earth that's not polluted.

What do you consider the core issue for any major city government? By this, the issue that if the city government fails at this issue, nothing else really matters.
Hoping our State Department is smart enough and clever enough to avoid a war that leads to major cities being destroyed by nuclear weapons.

It's several items on that list as they all impact each other.

Maintaining infrastructure. Primarily water, sewer, and roads since those are directly dependent on the municipality to maintain. To a lesser extent power and communications.

What do you consider the core issue for any major city government? By this, the issue that if the city government fails at this issue, nothing else really matters.

The core issue for any govt is protection of life and liberty. Since it appears the majority agree, why do we have such nice parks?

The core issue for any govt is protection of life and liberty. Since it appears the majority agree, why do we have such nice parks?

Criminals help keep the crowds down until the ‘homeless’ take them over. ;)

Criminals help keep the crowds down until the ‘homeless’ take them over. ;)

Its getting worse. In my liberal city, it used to be the vagrants just stood on the side of the road. Now they stand in front of the restaurant door, come inside to ask for money, and walk around in traffic with their hand out.

It's a matter of risk level.
For the purpose of this discussion, I am right and you know it.
Peace
No I don't, if I agreed I wouldn't have posted what I did.

Back
Top Bottom