• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think is the single most important issue for any major American city?

What do you think is the single most important issue for any major American city?

• Total voters
How do we measure whether "basic law and order" is happening in a city?

Crime rates and the presence (or absence) of gang graffiti are good clues.

Do you live in a major city? It is usually pretty apparent.

Are you unable to tell us?

Can you name a city that has "basic law and order" happening? One that does not?

What do you consider the core issue for any major city government? By this, the issue that if the city government fails at this issue, nothing else really matters.
In what seems like an overwhelming majority of them, controlling violent crime. I also can't imagine there's a close second.

Violent crime, of course.

Those perps are completely out of control.

They know that woke prosecutors will let them do anything they want.

After all, they are told that they are the victims of an unjust society.

Crime rates and the presence (or absence) of gang graffiti are good clues.

And yet Monroe, LA is much more dangerous... Can you name a city where they have "basic law and order"?

You are correct. Law and order come first. Its primal. All humans are scared animals, no differant than any other species. Safety is paramount to all animals.
Nope, procreation is paramount to all animals.

Can you name a city that has "basic law and order" happening? One that does not?

Some cities have lower crime rates than others. Your question is hard to answer without defining the metrics used (required?) to say whether or not a city has “basic law and order”.

Some cities have lower crime rates than others. Your question is hard to answer without defining the metrics used to say whether or not a city has “basic law and order”.

That's my point.. It's a pretty meaningless measure...

Drive around Memphis or St Louis, then drive around Minneapolis or Denver. Like I say, it will be readily apparent. Here is some context, when I live, KC, the murder rate is 32 per 100k. In Mexico City, it's 7 out of 100k.

That's my point.. It's a pretty meaningless measure...

What do you consider to be “meaningless” about crime rates? You apparently just used them to declare Austin, TX to be less dangerous (have more law and order?) than Monroe, LA.

Sorry, not ahead of food and shelter (safety)
First, that's not what you claimed in your post ("... safety is paramount...").

Second, animals risk their survival every day to procreate.

First, that's not what you claimed in your post ("... safety is paramount...").

Second, animals risk their survival every day to procreate.

It's a matter of risk level.
For the purpose of this discussion, I am right and you know it.
Peace

What do you consider the core issue for any major city government? By this, the issue that if the city government fails at this issue, nothing else really matters.
Probably the high volume of "under-educated" members in society as to the Civics of America's Principles and Values and Legislated Policies and Laws of Regulatory Governance within/of this Republic and its Representative Democracy.

I usually don't like to make my argument before others post in a poll I have created, but I think on this one maintaining basic law and order is the most essential task of any city government. You cannot have good schools without law and order. You cannot have a good business climate without law and order. You cannot maintain your infrastructure without law and order. You will not have a sufficient tax base to invest in people and communities without law and order.
In your estimation, how is this achieved?

In your estimation, how is this achieved?
It's a whole host of things obviously. Everything from building trust in the communities served so that murder clearance rates are higher to strictly enforcing illegal camping ordinances so that parks and green space are not trashed.

There's not one single thing.

Lose any one of infrastructure, fire services, fair police services, education, trash services, clean water, sewage services, and you'll have a breakdown in society.

Back
Top Bottom