• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Are You Listening To? Part 14 [W: 2921]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll throw in Dave Gilmour. Love that man, one of my inspirations. He replaced Syd Barrett who whilst not really in the same league as Dave as a guitarist, he was no slouch. Check out Interstellar overdrive and the solo on Dominoes.

I was never a huge PF fan but I was a big fan of Kate Bush and Dave Gilmour was her guitarist during her most successful era when she had a couple major video hits around 89 or so. her biggest video featured him in it

Lots of people forget how acclaimed this man was as a singer-songwriter because after he adopted Islam and started saying some loony things, lots of radio stations dropped him. when I first got an FM radio at age 12 or so, this guy was getting lots of airplay and and realized how much talent he had. He wrote a song that was a huge hit for Rod Stewart and Sheryl Crow (first cut is the deepest)

Teaser and the firecat (Peace Train, morning Has Broken, Moonshadow etc) never gets old. My Dad was a big fan.

we could have some interesting conversations about which bands were enhanced when they lost a key member and replaced them. Some bands never continued or were able to recover when they lost a member-Led Zeppelin with Bonzo. Others got better Examples-Deep Purple's first singer (most famous for HUSH) Rod Evans was replaced by Ian Gillian (who is one of the real vocal superstars of hard rock). Fleetwood Mac getting Lindsay Buckingham (and Stevie Nicks) changed the sound of that Band and main them the biggest thing going for a couple years.

The Who, and the Allmans managed to lose top ten performers (Moon on Drums, Duane on slide respectively) and still have massive success even though their replacements weren't necessarily better.

Teaser and the firecat (Peace Train, morning Has Broken, Moonshadow etc) never gets old. My Dad was a big fan.

The Episcopal priest who was the leader of the church we attended was a big fan and often had Cat Stevens playing in his office and the rec room under the Church. He was a former army ranger who had seen some brutal service in the Pacific (which is why he became a priest) , and was a big ping pong fan and I was a pretty good player as a kid so we used to play after the services on sunday and I pretty much heard everything Cat Stevens had recorded as a result.

One of my favorite type beats.

speaking of beat

"the human drum machine" at the end of his career with the Clash (Heroin was taking its toll on Nicky Headon)

[video=youtube;F-vBGy4hn-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?F-vBGy4hn-8[/video]

Lo Moon - This Is It

Cat Stevens...wore the groves pretty hard on Teaser And The Firecat and Tea For The Tillerman...a couple of months ago my 19 yo granddaughter asked me how's it going...I told her to listen to Tea For The Tillerman and pay special attention to...

And then this in the context of Grandfather To Granddaughter...

...and get back to me...she did...

:iloveyou:

anothergreat cut from Sir Ian

[video=youtube;1Ht88Up_LKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?1Ht88Up_LKA[/video]

Shawn Mullins - House Of The Rising Sun (Live)

[video=youtube;qDwi7u7dnaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?qDwi7u7dnaU[/video]

Linda Ronstadt - I Knew You When

[video=youtube;1Ht88Up_LKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?1Ht88Up_LKA[/video]

Shawn Mullins - House Of The Rising Sun (Live)

there was a big debate on some rock station years go as to the most covered rock song

One source claims "YESTERDAY" but I cannot think of anyone other than the Beatles who got big hits out of it. The following have made lots of money for lots of people

IF I were a Carpenter (Tim Hardin) the Cash Ladies and Johnny, Bobby Darin, Small Faces (My favorite version) Robert Plant, Lesley West, Bob Seeger, Willie Nelson, Alison Krause and more

Johnny B. Goode ( Chuck Berry) (more than I can count-I like the Grateful dead's version and has been covered by such diverse acts as Peter Tosh and Judas Priest)

Housing of the Rising Sun: traditional folk song (Zombies, Animals, I think Hendrix did it along with Woody Guthrie, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Frijid Pink etc)

Morning Dew (Bonnie Dobson, Tim Rose, Nazareth, Jeff Beck, Grateful Dead, 31st of February/Allman Brothers, and most recently "The National")

I like it!:)

Other than Hendrix and maybe Duane Allman, the performer I most regret not being able to see live was Steve Marriott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom