• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Americans Think about Daily Life

Not something I need to worry about, too much of my work is either judgment calls or helping fix their issues. So far at least, computers can't really help much with either.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 61% of American Adults think it is at least somewhat likely that most jobs in America will be done by robots or computers 25 years from now, including 19% who say such a scenario is Very Likely. Twenty-nine percent (29%) don’t think robots are likely to take over the workplace. These findings have changed little since May 2021. The online sales giant Amazon may use more automation in its warehouses after an internal memo warned that the company “could run out of people to hire.” While most Americans see the prospect of an automated future as likely, however, just 14% believe a robot could do their job. Sixty-six percent (66%) say their job couldn’t be done by a robot, and another 20% are not sure. That finding is also basically unchanged from May 2021.

At least someone in the US is doing all right!

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 56% of American Adults think shooting off their own fireworks is a fun way to celebrate the Fourth of July. Thirty-five percent (35%) disagree, saying fireworks are dangerous and should be left to professionals. The consumer fireworks industry reported record sales of more than $2 billion last year. Thirty-one percent (31%) of adults say it’s at least somewhat likely they will shoot fireworks at their own home during the Fourth of July weekend, including 15% who say it’s Very Likely they’ll shoot their own backyard show to celebrate America’s independence. Forty-four percent (44%) say it’s Not At All Likely they’ll shoot fireworks at home this weekend. The COVID-19 pandemic caused many communities to cancel their public Fourth of July fireworks shows during the past two years, but now those shows are back in most places. A majority (55%) of Americans think it’s likely they will go watch a public fireworks show during the Fourth of July weekend, including 28% who say it’s Very Likely. Forty-one percent (41%) don’t think it’s likely they’ll attend a public fireworks show this weekend.

No surprise here....

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, the Fourth of July is considered one of the nation’s most important holidays by 53% of American Adults. Only 10% think it’s one of the least important holidays, while 34% rank it somewhere in between. Over the years, most Americans have ranked the Fourth of July as the country’s second-most important holiday, just behind Christmas.

Not something I have much to be concerned about, but for what it's worth ...

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 31% of American Adults have a favorable opinion of online dating apps like Tinder and OkCupid, including just six percent (6%) whose view of such apps is Very Favorable. These findings have not changed much since June 2021.Forty-four percent (44%) now view dating apps unfavorably, including 18% who have a Very Unfavorable opinion of online dating apps. Another 26% are not sure. Thirty percent (30%) say they or someone they know have met a person through an online dating app that they ultimately married, just slightly higher than last June. Sixty-five percent (65%) say no one they know has married someone they met through online dating.

And something that Hollywood has been ignoring for years:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 75% of American Adults are concerned that children are being exposed to movies and shows that they aren't mature enough for, including 43% who are Very Concerned. Just 22% aren’t worried about what kids are seeing in movies. The box-office failure of Lightyear, the Disney/Pixar “prequel” to the popular Toy Story movies, has been blamed in part on the inclusion of a same-sex kissing scene in the film. Most Americans don’t think young children should be exposed to adult themes in movies. Only 15% believe it is appropriate to expose children 12 or younger to movies with sexual situations. Another 19% think 14 is an appropriate age to be exposed to sexual situations in movies, and another 49% think 16 is the appropriate age. Eighteen percent (18%) are not sure. By comparison, 42% believe it is appropriate to expose children 12 or younger to movies with swearing, and 25% think it is appropriate to expose children 12 or younger to movies with graphic violence.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 40% of American Adults who eat ice cream regularly say either chocolate or vanilla is their favorite flavor – an exact tie, with 20% for each. Vanilla has regained popularity since 2018, when it placed third behind butter pecan. However, the latest result is nearly the same as 2021, when chocolate and vanilla were tied at 23% each. Now tied for third as America’s favorite ice cream are cookies and cream and butter pecan, both at 11%, followed by strawberry and mint chocolate chip, both at 10%. Five percent (5%) say coffee-flavor ice cream is their favorite, while 12% say some other flavor is their favorite. The average American consumes four gallons of ice cream every year, according to the International Dairy Foods Association. Nearly half (48%) of Americans eat ice cream at least once a week, including 21% who say they eat it even more often than that. Another 31% have ice cream about once a month, while 19% rarely or never eat ice cream.

I have to go with those voting cookies & cream!

And meanwhile, there's the great state of Texas!

A new national telephone and online survey by Crosswind Media & Public Relations and Rasmussen Reports finds that 45% of American Adults have a positive view of Texas, including 27% who have a Very Positive view of the state. Just 31% have a negative view of Texas, including 17% whose view of the state is Very Negative. Another 21% say they have a neutral view of the state. With nearly 30 million people, Texas is the second-largest state in the union, and is still growing rapidly. Fifty-three percent (53%) of Americans view the state as a good place to start a business, including 28% who say Texas is a Very Good place to start a business. Only 23% think of Texas as a bad place to start a business, while another 24% are not sure. Similarly, 52% of Americans believe Texas is a good place to raise a family, and just 32% disagree, while another 16% are not sure.

Not exactly a leisure concern, but certainly one for daily life.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 61% of American Adults believe it’s likely that climate change is causing more extreme weather, including heat waves and droughts in summer, including 36% who think it’s Very Likely. Thirty percent (30%) don’t think climate change is to blame for extreme summer weather, and another 10% are not sure. Previous surveys have found that most Americans also think climate change could also explain severe winter weather. Thirty-eight percent (38%) of Americans say the weather in their area has been hotter this summer than in most previous years. Just 13% say this summer has been cooler, while 44% believe it’s about the same as most previous years, Thirty-nine percent (39%) think there’s been less rain in their area this summer than in most previous years, compared to 17% who believe there’s been more rain this summer. Thirty-eight percent (38%) say they’ve gotten about the same amount of rain this summer as most previous years.

I don't eat at McDonald's or Burger King, but Red Robin has their own meatless burger. I haven't tried that one, either.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that just 15% of American Adults are or have ever been vegetarian, while 81% have never been vegetarian. The number of vegetarians has increased slightly since 2019 when 12% said they were or had been vegetarian. Burger King made headlines by launching the meatless “Impossible Whopper” in 2019 and McDonald’s has recently begun marketing its meatless “McPlant” burger. Thirty-one percent (31%) of Americans have tried fast-food sandwiches that are made with plant-derived products, while 63% have not. The number who’ve tried meatless fast-food burgers has increased from 21% in 2019. Twenty-six percent (26%) of Americans say they buy plant-derived "meat" products for someone in their household, while 66% don’t, a finding little changed since 2019.

Not something I did growing up, but I was in the cub/boy scouts instead which I guess is kinda the same thing. And yeah, that was important for me.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 51% of American Adults believe it is important for young people to go to a summer camp, including 19% who say summer camp is Very Important. That finding is down from 2018, when 58% thought it was important for kids to go to summer camp. Forty percent (40%) now believe summer camp is not important for young people, including 11% who think it’s Not At All Important. Forty-five percent (45%) of adults say either they or an immediate family went to a summer camp for children – down from 51% four years ago – while 48% never attended summer camp. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of adults who have attended summer camp themselves, or have an immediate family member who has, think it’s important for young people to go to summer camp. Just 39% who have never been to summer camp agree.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 18% of American Adults would rather live in Florida if they could move to any other state they wanted. Eleven percent (11%) would prefer California, and 10% would choose New York. Just six percent (6%) say they’d rather live in Pennsylvania and only four percent (4%) pick Illinois. Fifty-seven percent (57%) said they would choose to live in some state other than the six named, which are the most populous U.S. states. California has experienced an “exodus” of residents in recent years, but more than half (55%) of Californians in the survey said they’d still choose to live there, even if they could choose any other state they wanted. More Floridians (59%) would stay in Florida even if they could live in any other state. Nineteen percent (19%) of adults say they live in an area they would describe as urban, while 38% live in suburban areas, 22% live in small towns and 18% are in rural areas. Nearly half of Americans, however, would rather live in small towns (26%) or rural areas (22%) if given a chance to live anywhere they wanted.

I'm definitely with the 37% going with "Some other state," given my druthers I'd be in Utah. And I'd definitely go with "small town" first. With the internet and Amazon/FedEx, why live in the big city unless you have to?

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 56% of American Adults who work full-time believe they will be earning more money a year from today. That’s up from 39% in April, and the highest finding since 2010. Twelve percent (12%) of full-time workers expect they’ll be earning less a year from now, while 28% expect their wages to remain the same. Seventy-one percent (71%) of working adults say they have a better opportunity for career advancement by staying within their current company. That finding is also the highest since 2010. Eighteen percent (18%) now think the best opportunity for career advancement is by going to work for someone else. Eleven percent (11%) are undecided. Among all adults, 52% say they have a full-time job, up from 50% in January. Forty-seven (47%) percent now say they are not currently employed full-time.

Sure, I'll be earning more money in a year. Will it be enough to compensate for current inflation? Not likely.

Meanwhile, in the world of college football:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 40% of American Adults are excited about this year’s college football season, including 15% who are Very Excited. Fifty-four percent (54%) aren’t excited about the college football season, including 32% who are Not At All excited. Fifteen percent (15%) say they watch college football on TV every weekend during the season, while 20% watch most weekends, another 20% occasionally watch college football on TV, and 40% seldom or never watch. Alabama’s Crimson Tide was ranked No. 1 in the preseason coach’s poll. Among Americans who watch college football on TV at least occasionally, 64% think it’s likely Alabama will win the national championship this season, including 21% who think it’s Very Likely. Just 15% don’t think it’s likely the Crimson Tide will win the national title, while another 21% are not sure.

So whatever people think about the state of the country, they mostly think they, themselves, are doing all right:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 65% of American Adults rate their own life today as good or excellent, a finding almost identical to a year ago. Twenty-three percent (23%) rate their life fair and just nine percent (9%) rate their life poor. The number of Americans rating their life good or excellent reached an all-time high of 75% in 2018. Americans continue to feel the years before age 40 are the best for most people: 59% feel that way, including nine percent (9%) who consider the years up to 18 best, 29% who prefer 18 to 29 and 21% who think 30 to 39 are the best years. Thirteen percent (13%) say the 40s are best for most people, and another 10% say ages 50-64 are best, while seven percent (7%) favor 65 and older. Eleven percent (11%) say they’re not sure.

And in honor of the holiday:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 25% of American Adults consider Labor Day to be one of our nation's most important holidays – up from 20% in 2019. Eighteen percent (18%) view Labor Day as one of our least important holidays and 52% see it somewhere in between. Over the years, most Americans have ranked Christmas as the nation’s most important holiday, followed by the Fourth of July. When they celebrate Labor Day, 49% honor it as a holiday honoring the contribution of workers in society, while 39% view it as marking the unofficial end of summer. Twelve percent (12%) are undecided. In 2019, 43% saw Labor Day as honoring workers.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 65% of American Adults say, in terms of finding a job in today’s economy, a college degree is at least Somewhat Important, including 26% who believe it’s Very Important. Twenty-nine percent (29%) don’t think a college degree is important, with six percent (6%) who think it’s Not At All Important. In 2019, 84% said a college degree was at least somewhat important in finding a job. The price tag of a college education has risen at about 4.6 times the rate of inflation over the past 50 years. Forty-one percent (41%) of Americans believe the value of a college education has decreased in recent years, while just 23% think the value has increased. Twenty-eight percent (28%) say the value of a college education has stayed about the same.

I have to add my vote to "Somewhat Important," my own degree play a large part in getting me my own job. But I also have to say that level of importance is too high--the job that degree got me didn't really need it, and none of the changes in my job description in the years since haven't either.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 51% of American Adults have gone a full week without paying for anything with cash and coins. That’s up from 48% in 2018, but not as high as the 53% who said so in 2015. Thirty-eight percent (38%) now say they’ve never gone a week without paying cash, down from 43% in 2018. Only 18% typically pay with cash when they buy groceries, with 42% preferring debit cards and 29% using credit cards at the grocery store. Twenty-six percent (26%) use cash to pay when they eat at restaurants, while 34% use credit cards and 33% use debit cards for restaurant meals. Very few Americans now write checks for either groceries (5%) or restaurant meals (3%).

Yeah, I haven't written a check in years, and I regularly go a week or even weeks without using cash. And that while paying off the balance of my credit cards every month, so no interest payments, either. More convenient all around, I'm surprised that more people don't.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 49% of American Adults say the arrival of fall puts them in a better mood. Just 10% say they’re in a worse mood because fall is here, while 37% say the change of seasons has no impact on their mood. By comparison, in March 2018, 63% said the arrival of spring put them in a better mood. Twenty-two percent (22%) say fall is their favorite season. Thirty percent (30%) say winter is their favorite, 24% prefer summer and 19% name spring as their favorite season. In March 2018, summer was the favorite at 33%, followed by fall at 30%.

Where I live, fall means daytime highs drop back down to double digits and we can look forward to the Fall Colors, so yeah, fall is where it's at.

Not something I have an opinion on, not using social media much.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 49% of American Adults believe TikTok has a negative influence on American culture, including 22% who think its influence is Very Negative. Just 26% say TikTok’s influence on American culture is positive, including eight percent (8%) who see it as a Very Positive influence. Another 12% are not sure. TikTok became the world’s third-largest social network last year, ranking behind Facebook and Instagram. Only 28% of Americans think it is safe for young teenagers to use TikTok, including just six percent (6%) who believe it’s Very Safe for teens. Fifty-eight percent (58%) don’t think using TikTok is safe for young teenagers, including 25% who say it’s Not At All Safe. Another 14% are not sure. Sixty-two percent (62%) of adults are familiar with TikTok, including 30% who say they’re Very Familiar with the popular video messaging platform. Thirty-five percent (35%) aren’t familiar with TikTok, including 15% who are Not At All Familiar with it.

Boy, I don't know but seems like I've seen advertisements for something like that, in the past? I don't think I could watch it. :)
Example> Most Americans don't want to drive an electric car. The reason? Doesn't have that big loud sound to it and very fast acceleration.
Geez...not a good reason.
Uh...no.

We worry about cost of ownership. We worry about being stranded without a way to charge. And we worry that spending 40+k on a sedan might bankrupt us.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 30% of American Adults say they’re overweight, while 64% say they’re not. In February 2021, 25% said they were overweight. The federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says 42% of Americans are obese, but apparently many don’t want to admit it, and there’s a “gender gap” on this is. Thirty-five percent (35%) of women say they’re overweight, compared to 23% of men. Apparently, doctors are more likely to recommend that men change their lifestyle habits. Among the 76% of adults who say they’ve had a general physical exam in the past year, 27% say their doctor recommended lifestyle changes in the way they eat, drink or exercise. More men (29%) than women (26%) report their doctor recommended lifestyle changes at their most recent exam.

And here's one that hits close to home, seeing how The Fellowship of the Ring was the first fantasy I ever read. Now I just need to find time to watch more than the first episode....

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 32% of American Adults have watched at least some of “The Rings of Power,” including nine percent (9%) who say they’ve watched most of the new series and 10% who have seen all of it. But nearly two-thirds (65%) haven’t watched any of it. Amazon reportedly spent more than $700 million on its new streaming series, a Middle Earth prequel to Tolkien’s popular “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. Some have called the new series “cringeworthy,” but among adults who have seen at least some of “The Rings of Power,” 29% rate it excellent and 34% rate it good. Twenty-two percent (22%) give “The Rings of Power” a fair rating and just six percent (6%) rate it poor.

Uh...no.

We worry about cost of ownership. We worry about being stranded without a way to charge. And we worry that spending 40+k on a sedan might bankrupt us.

Yeah. Imagine your computer telling you you can travel another fifty miles, but then the ambient temperature drops ten degrees, reducing your potential travel distance. When the juice runs out it’s not like you can grab a gas can to tide you over until you can get to a gas station. You’ll need a tow. 😃

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that just 10% of American Adults think Halloween is one of the nation’s most important holidays, while 41% consider it one of the least important and 43% say it’s somewhere in between. Those findings are only slightly changed from last year. Halloween ranks with Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day among the holidays considered least important by Americans. Christmas and Fourth of July have consistently been rated the nation’s most important holidays over the years. While 28% of Americans think Halloween is a holiday just for kids, 63% believe it’s for both kids and adults. The percentage who view Halloween as an all-ages occasion is slightly up from four years ago.

Halloween is actually a pretty big deal for my family. They go all in on the decorations, both in and outside the home, and gather that afternoon to play horror-themed boardgames until everyone's too tired to play any more. It's a lot of fun.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 55% of American Adults consider Veterans Day one of our nation’s most important holidays. Only seven percent (7%) consider it one of the least important, while 34% view it as somewhere in between. The holiday honoring military service originated as Armistice Day, marking the end of World War I on November 11, 1918. Three years ago, 51% rated Veterans Day as one of America’s most important holidays. Christmas and Fourth of July have consistently been rated the nation’s most important holidays over the years. However, this year even more consider Veterans Day to be one of the most important holidays than the 53% who say the same about the Fourth of July.

A couple polls on the same day! Though, 'tis the season(s).... 🦃🎅

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 42% of American Adults say the higher price of food has caused them to change their plans for Thanksgiving dinner, but a majority (51%) say it hasn’t changed their plans. Similarly, 42% say the higher price of gasoline has caused them to change their travel plans for their Thanksgiving holiday, but 53% say their travel plans haven’t been changed by higher gas prices. The cost of Thanksgiving dinner is up 20% this year. Democrats (34%) are less likely to have changed their Thanksgiving dinner plans because of inflation than Republicans (45%) or those not affiliated with either major party (48%).

I'm one of those that hasn't changed travel plans, though for me the family is just a couple hours up the road....

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 55% of American Adults haven’t started their holiday gift shopping, while 42% have. The number who’ve already started their holiday shopping in mid-November is slightly down from four years ago. Nine percent (9%) say they’ve already finished shopping for the holidays, and a majority of Americans say they’ll do at least half their holiday shopping online. Twenty-five percent (25%) think about half their holiday shopping will be done online and another 25% say they’ll do most of their gift buying online, while eight percent (8%) expect to use online shopping for all their holiday gifts. Twenty-two percent (22%) say some of their holiday shopping will be done online, but 14% won’t buy any of their gifts online. These findings are just slightly different from last year.

Yeah, haven't mostly started shopping yet, either. 😳 Thank heaven for Amazon wish lists and Prime shipping!

Back
Top Bottom