• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We're all going to feel better when we come clean

If a person of "Southern heritage" wants to display a Confederate flag in their home in order to remind themselves to be proud of a nation that went to war in order to preserve and extend slavery, then go for it. But when it gets openly and "proudly" displayed then, yes, it is most often done so as a show of "white pride" and all that "movement" entails in terms of quite open racism.

You have it right. "Southern heritage" has nothing to do with hate and racism? Blacks have southern heritage too, yet they're not so proud of their, 'heritage'. Being proud now of the side that was based on hate and racism says a lot about southern conservatives...

It does, however, make us a country in which there are racists, both openly and more subtly.

there is not a country on earth, or even a race on earth that does not have a few idiots who hate others for stupid reasons. you can't eradicate that without taking freedoms from and hurting innocents.

not even sure you can do it then. try to do that and BECAUSE of that being the only real method of doing so, other than merely teaching the proper way to treat people, and you will inevitably cause more hate.

you really have to decide whether you are really looking to help the situation or you just want vengeance, because vengeance never comes without a price.

Yes, I do. And I hope you understand there is extreme partisanship on both sides.
I do. But at this moment in history I don't believe that's relevant.

It was your claim dude. The burden is on you to support the outrageous claim with quotes.

Here was one of my original sentences:

They are like Pavlov's dogs in that respect, salivating uncontrollably until they can start typing to show their absolute displeasure that anyone would want to mention or think about slavery in the least!

And it is exactly correct. Slavery was mentioned in the OP, and I went back and looked and, sure enough, no less than a dozen right wingers felt so betrodden by the mention of slavery that’s they needed to express their extreme displeasure with that.

Point proven. It happens every time.

Here was one of my original sentences:

And it is exactly correct. Slavery was mentioned in the OP, and I went back and looked and, sure enough, no less than a dozen right wingers felt so betrodden by the mention of slavery that’s they needed to express their extreme displeasure with that.

Point proven. It happens every time.
Here is the claim. I waas disputing.

right wingers stumble over themselves rushing to beat one another to say something negative about blacks

That is utterly false. And no we don't mind people mentioning slavery. We are dipleased at false claims about it's current significance.

We're all going to feel better when we come clean about the skeletons in America's collective closet.

Hearing about the horrendous abuses of chattel slavery (one of the most heinous examples) causes anxiety for most people.

Acknowledging these atrocities is difficult.

We need to further acknowledge these types of things so we can move on by making repairs.

Otherwise, abuses (of a lesser degree) will continue to accumulate. That increases resentments.

If those that fully acknowledge these things have to make repairs without the overwhelming majority of people fully acknowledging these things, then the latter people's resentments are likely increase.

Let's reduce resentments. 🙂
no one today was alive in the 1860's.

The slaves were freed, and now no one today is a slave.

There's nothing else to talk about. It's done, and it's been done for almost 200 years.

Here is the claim. I waas disputing.

right wingers stumble over themselves rushing to beat one another to say something negative about blacks

That is utterly false. And no we don't mind people mentioning slavery. We are dipleased at false claims about it's current significance.

Exactly what false claim about the current significance of slavery was made in the OP?

There's nothing else to talk about. It's done, and it's been done for almost 200 years.

What are your thoughts about the fella who was carrying the Confederate flag at the Capitol riot?

What are your thoughts about the fella who was carrying the Confederate flag at the Capitol riot?
I'd say the confederate flag is outdated. I remember seeing in pennsylvania and, considering the actual history of the civil war, found it stupid that northerners would fly it, regardless of their beliefs.

I say this as bluntly as i can, as a proud southerner and self proclaimed fascist, the confederate flag is for the south, and only the south. It's a culture and heritage thing here. If you're from backwoods Ohio and you're flying it, it's almost so stupid I don't even know what to say.

Anyways, considering that we are 180 years removed from the civil war, I can forgive someone for being ignorant of the details. It doesn't take away from the fact that slavery is done as an institution, and isn't coming back.....unless, of course, your name is Jeff Bezos or Tim Cook, in which case, I hope not too many asian children died for your iphone.

I'd say the confederate flag is outdated. I remember seeing in pennsylvania and, considering the actual history of the civil war, found it stupid that northerners would fly it, regardless of their beliefs.

I say this as bluntly as i can, as a proud southerner and self proclaimed fascist, the confederate flag is for the south, and only the south. It's a culture and heritage thing here. If you're from backwoods Ohio and you're flying it, it's almost so stupid I don't even know what to say.

Anyways, considering that we are 180 years removed from the civil war, I can forgive someone for being ignorant of the details. It doesn't take away from the fact that slavery is done as an institution, and isn't coming back.....unless, of course, your name is Jeff Bezos or Tim Cook, in which case, I hope not too many asian children died for your iphone.

Okay.

Hey DW.
Oh, there's plenty to talk about.

After at least a hundred of years of slavery and several million slaves, the abuses of African Americans didn't go from 100% to 0% in 1865. No, African Americans are still being abused by the "justice" system and the carceral state.

And no significant repairs were done to try to make up for the utterly massive damage done to actual slaves and their descendants, which is over 90% of the current African American population.

So, it'd be better if you don't talk about it, if you're going to try to diminish it.

Hey DW.
Oh, there's plenty to talk about.

After at least a hundred of years of slavery and several million slaves, the abuses of African Americans didn't go from 100% to 0% in 1865. No, African Americans are still being abused by the "justice" system and the carceral state.

And no significant repairs were done to try to make up for the utterly massive damage done to actual slaves and their descendants, which is over 90% of the current African American population.

So, it'd be better if you don't talk about it, if you're going to try to diminish it.
Considering the fact that 70% of african americans live in urbanized cities, if african americans are such victims, maybe we should look at the management of these cities and see why they're treating their african americans so terribly.

Considering the fact that 70% of african americans live in urbanized cities, if african americans are such victims, maybe we should look at the management of these cities and see why they're treating their african americans so terribly.
Ohhh, it's the fault of "Democrat cities," not centuries of every kind of abuse, including extreme economic abuse.

Ohhh, it's the fault of "Democrat cities," not centuries of every kind of abuse, including extreme economic abuse.
Well, why don't these democrat cities end this abuse, then? Don't cities make up like 80% of gdp or something?

You're the ones saying things need to change, so why doesn't, say, Andrew Cuomo, end all the er.....economic abuse....of african americans in his state? Why are there so many poor african americans in New York?

Just go and lead the way, you know? Why do you expect republicans to change things when, in every place democrats are in control, they can't even change things themselves?

Well, why don't these democrat cities end this abuse, then? Don't cities make up like 80% of gdp or something?

You're the ones saying things need to change, so why doesn't, say, Andrew Cuomo, end all the er.....economic abuse....of african americans in his state? Why are there so many poor african americans in New York?

Just go and lead the way, you know? Why do you expect republicans to change things when, in every place democrats are in control, they can't even change things themselves?
I'm not taking the bait and running with it.

Progressives are for repairing all of it and moving on to a much better world where all people and Earth will thrive.

I'm not taking the bait and running with it.

Progressives are for repairing all of it and moving on to a much better world where all people and Earth will thrive.
Until, of course, you elect democrats who apparantly, do all sorts of abuse toward african americans.

shame.

maybe stop voting for a party so racist, they think a white woman is a native american.

Or that spanish is too gendered with language, and should call hispanic people 'latinx'.

or that race is literally to be seen everywhere and in everyone....formerly the position of the KKK.

Exactly what false claim about the current significance of slavery was made in the OP?
The implication that any remotely significant portion of the population has yet to acknowledge slavery was an atrocity. This is pure nonsense an alter drive reality.

Not sure I agree entirely but given what I’ve seen from you lately, I have zero doubts as to your sincerity. Your heart’s in the right place.

I question the sincerity of the belief that the US hasn't yet acknowledged that we had slavery. Half the men on my fathers side of the family died fighting in the Civil War for the North.

acknowledge
[əkˈnäləj]

VERB
  1. accept or admit the existence or truth of.

Would love to hear what your proposals for "repairing" history are.

Usually its racial discrimination they insist upon.
"The only remedy to past discimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination.” Kendi

We're all going to feel better when we come clean about the skeletons in America's collective closet.

Hearing about the horrendous abuses of chattel slavery (one of the most heinous examples) causes anxiety for most people.

Acknowledging these atrocities is difficult.

We need to further acknowledge these types of things so we can move on by making repairs.

Otherwise, abuses (of a lesser degree) will continue to accumulate. That increases resentments.

If those that fully acknowledge these things have to make repairs without the overwhelming majority of people fully acknowledging these things, then the latter people's resentments are likely increase.

Let's reduce resentments. 🙂
There’s nothing to “come clean” about. History has already been recorded. None of us alive today were alive during the days of slavery, or even the days of Jim Crow.

We do not inherit the sins of our fathers.

If you want to discuss ongoing, long term systemic racism? Fine. Start a thread about that.

I’d like to answer this one.

My thought is that he’s a ****ing idiot, and possibly a racist piece of shit too.

Much more likely than not, he doesn’t know the actual history behind the flag and what he does know, he denies and hides behind the “Southern heritage” myth.

There’s nothing to “come clean” about. History has already been recorded. None of us alive today were alive during the days of slavery, or even the days of Jim Crow.

We do not inherit the sins of our fathers.

If you want to discuss ongoing, long term systemic racism? Fine. Start a thread about that.
I don't take orders from conservatives.

Not an order and not a conservative.
Your pro-US militarism stance, "blind" loyalty to the Constitution, and #146 comment are conservative positions.

Back
Top Bottom