• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well, As Expected SCOTUS HAS Struck Down Roe

This decision will effect more than just women. All law dealing with privacy could be up for review: gay marriage, sodomy laws, contraception, book censorship, medical records, personal writing and papers, religious and political criticism and action. The list could be very long.
Yep, I think the Republicans just overplayed their hand. They're like the dog that caught the car now. Roe's going to be overturned - what the Republicans didn't do, was to prepare themselves with the backlash that is sure to come now - from women's groups, LGBTQ people - because as you predicted, they are surely next on the Republican chopping block. The next few months are going to be some of the ugliest we've ever seen.

The Republicans have f'd with women. They are officially screwed.

It says, im pro life, exactly as i've told you and told everyone. Of course I celebrate it. What did you expect? That the pro-life person here would feel SAD over this? lol
Well, you can celebrate your "pro-life" victory all you want. You're making little girls carry their incest or rape fetuses to term. How proud you must be.

Yep, I think the Republicans just overplayed their hand. They're like the dog that caught the car now. Roe's going to be overturned - what the Republicans didn't do, was to prepare themselves with the backlash that is sure to come now - from women's groups, LGBTQ people - because as you predicted, they are surely next on the Republican chopping block. The next few months are going to be some of the ugliest we've ever seen.

The Republicans have f'd with women. They are officially screwed.
I wonder how much corporate pressure is going to be put on states that try to restrict abortion if Roe is overturned. I can’t imagine American Airlines and AT&T employees - to name two that are headquartered in Texas - being thrilled with having abortion outlawed.

Susan Collins only has two eyebrows to furrow!

I wonder how much corporate pressure is going to be put on states that try to restrict abortion if Roe is overturned. I can’t imagine American Airlines and AT&T employees - to name two that are headquartered in Texas - being thrilled with having abortion outlawed.
No word from those corporations yet. I don't think those airlines really give a rip. Delta is HQ'd in GA and they've said nothing about GA's draconian voting restrictions.

Those airlines have been scary silent. Delta Airlines' hub is in Atlanta and we've heard nothing from them regarding GA's "Republican finger on scale" voting laws just passed.

Well, you can celebrate your "pro-life" victory all you want. You're making little girls carry their incest or rape fetuses to term. How proud you must be.
oh yes, how DARE I let states decide for themselves. :rolleyes:

the last 50 years of forcing it on the public didn't work. Maybe, just maybe, it is to your benefit in the long term, to let states decide on their own.

It's pretty self-explanatory.
To protect the judges from exactly this problem.

I'm fully pro-choice but the judges are going to be hounded and it could affect the final decision and that's not a good thing.

oh yes, how DARE I let states decide for themselves. :rolleyes:

the last 50 years of forcing it on the public didn't work. Maybe, just maybe, it is to your benefit in the long term, to let states decide on their own.
You’re right. We should let the states decides on slavery, the right to an attorney, and freedom of speech as well! Let’s just let all civil rights be at the whim of changing at the state level at any time!

So...a draft of a decision has been leaked. Interesting.

I wonder...

Is there a "deep state" inside the Supreme Court? You know, like the deep state that leaked so much stuff from the Trump administration? Or, is the Supreme Court taking a page out of the political handbook by deliberately leaking this draft in order to gauge public reaction?

Oh...and lurchadams...I don't really care about RvW. That's why I'm not making a comment on the substance of this leak.
An older male "conservative" doesn't care about RvW?

Shocking!

This decision will effect more than just women. All law dealing with privacy could be up for review: gay marriage, sodomy laws, contraception, book censorship, medical records, personal writing and papers, religious and political criticism and action. The list could be very long.
Yep. It doesn’t matter if they say they won’t come after those things. We were told for years Roe v Wade wasn’t under threat. They’ve sort of crossed a red line as far as I can tell.

The decision has been leaked. This is the continuation of the authoritarian, Republican culture war. Elite Republicans against everyone else. I've said many times, Republican or Democrat, if you have the money and you want an abortion, you're going to get one.

Making little girls carry their incest and rape babies to term? Lets see how that goes. I believe this is the "push" Democrats need to maintain the houses. Women, even conservative women aren't going to put up with this, IMO.

The leak itself it one matter, that frankly kills any sense of trust among the justices on the process of how these opinions are written both the judgement and the dissent. Whoever did do this just threw their career away as odds are it was one of the clerks working for one of these justices.

The decision itself was expected, disappointing of course, but it sends the nation back 50+ years to a time where state to state reproductive rights were a mess.

Places where the Christian Taliban rule we will see the most vulnerable go back to underground clinics and basically butchers where abortion will still occur, wealthy will go to states where this is legal waiting for a home state to try to enforce their laws outside of their state.

Overall we have entered a new round of culture wars where those that rule influence law and decision despite the polling on this subject. Elections have consequences and some of the fallout will be this sort of intention where states took a conservative leaning Supreme Court for a spin and odds are will get their way. Understand that during confirmations just about everyone going back to Alito suggested this was settled law, but not really as it turns out.

Think about where some of these states are going, no exceptions for rape or incest where the far right looks at this as "opportunity" for some woman they will never care about and ultimately a child they will care even less about once born.

We are about to enter very terrible times socially and economically while the far right goes on a very hollow victory lap.

The ironic thing about this whole Roe V Wade issue is the SCOTUS is now composed of a Conservative majority; three of which were nominated by a former 'Conservative' POTUS who offered his former mistress a million dollars to abort his/her very own love child, while committing an adulterous affair.

An older male "conservative" doesn't care about RvW?

Shocking!
I suspect there are a lot of people...young, old, male, female, conservative and liberal...who don't care about RvW.

No word from those corporations yet. I don't think those airlines really give a rip. Delta is HQ'd in GA and they've said nothing about GA's draconian voting restrictions.
I'm hoping their employees put pressure on them. And not just airlines - I mentioned AA and ATT only because I happened to know they're headquartered in a state that will likely outlaw abortion. Fact is, even in Texas, the overwhelming majority of people (90+% from what I read) do not want abortion outlawed. Most people are single issue voters but outlawing abortion, even in a place like Texas, would have to be deeply unpopular.

I'm hoping their employees put pressure on them. And not just airlines - I mentioned AA and ATT only because I happened to know they're headquartered in a state that will likely outlaw abortion. Fact is, even in Texas, the overwhelming majority of people (90+% from what I read) do not want abortion outlawed. Most people are single issue voters but outlawing abortion, even in a place like Texas, would have to be deeply unpopular.
The effect of gerrymandering has been shown to have worked out for our Republicans. It amazes me how Republicans celebrate the abolition of abortion but lament the abolition of slavery. I don't think that's a coincidence. Outlawing abortion has the effect of enslaving people.

The leak itself it one matter, that frankly kills any sense of trust among the justices on the process of how these opinions are written both the judgement and the dissent. Whoever did do this just threw their career away as odds are it was one of the clerks working for one of these justices.

The decision itself was expected, disappointing of course, but it sends the nation back 50+ years to a time where state to state reproductive rights were a mess.

Places where the Christian Taliban rule we will see the most vulnerable go back to underground clinics and basically butchers where abortion will still occur, wealthy will go to states where this is legal waiting for a home state to try to enforce their laws outside of their state.

Overall we have entered a new round of culture wars where those that rule influence law and decision despite the polling on this subject. Elections have consequences and some of the fallout will be this sort of intention where states took a conservative leaning Supreme Court for a spin and odds are will get their way. Understand that during confirmations just about everyone going back to Alito suggested this was settled law, but not really as it turns out.

Think about where some of these states are going, no exceptions for rape or incest where the far right looks at this as "opportunity" for some woman they will never care about and ultimately a child they will care even less about once born.

We are about to enter very terrible times socially and economically while the far right goes on a very hollow victory lap.
Yep, you restated everything I've been saying.

It's pretty self-explanatory.
To protect the judges from exactly this problem.

I'm fully pro-choice but the judges are going to be hounded and it could affect the final decision and that's not a good thing.
Hounded by who? Hounded how? You mean the way the capitol cops were hounded after 1/6? Getting death threats? Or how Rattzenburger, the GA Sec or State who is still receiving death threats for doing his job and refusing to be bulled by trump? I don't know, my friend, I don't know. This might be time for the women and those who advocate for their rights to come at this a different way. The right doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

The leak was probably inevitable from a court that has just been heavily stacked with ideologues.

An interesting historical note about Supreme Court leaks...

But it's not the first leak associated with the Supreme Court or the landmark abortion case: The original decision was also leaked five decades ago, infuriating the then-chief justice so much that he threatened clerks with lie detector tests.

In 1973, both Roe v. Wade's decision and some of its deliberations were leaked to Time magazine and The Washington Post, both of which published articles before the ruling was made public.

Then-Chief Justice Warren Burger was "livid" about the leak, and wrote to all justices demanding that the leaker be found, the lawyer and author James Robenalt wrote in The Washington Post.

He said that if nobody came forward he would demand lie detector tests for the court's clerks, per Robenalt's account in The Post.

I wonder if Roberts is as angry as Burger was back then? Will Roberts threaten law clerks with the lie detector? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it.

CBS News, which did not cite named sources, reported that a full-scale FBI investigation into the source of the leak is expected.​

I'm sure the FBI will find a scapegoat that can be given a slap on the wrist. Our Justice Department is good at that kind of thing.

Yah. Right. To every other SCOTUS before this one, Roe was "settled law". You guys couldn't wait to get your religious zealots in there to impose your will. It has nothing to do with the constitution - you know this. This is all about controlling the weak.

Wait, did you really just argue the interpretation is correct because other justices said so? So what?

The fact another group of human beings, preceding this present group in time, had a different opinion isn’t evidende the former is right and the latter is incorrect. Your reasoning is aptly described as a nuh huh because others said so.

Whether the interpretation is correct or incorrect is based on the evidence, which is the text of the Constitution, the meaning of the words, the historical evidence breathing meaning into the words.

You’d have to be unconscious since 1973 to incorrectly state “It has nothing to do with the constitution” because since the decision an objection has persistently been the Court created this right out of thin air and the DPC of the 14th Amendment and the historical evidence doesn’t support the decision.

you know this.

I know there is a strong constitutional objection to Roe and Casey, based in the evidence, as opposed to your they said so therefore it is right logic.

The leak was probably inevitable from a court that has just been heavily stacked with ideologues.

More the subject than anything else, and it does not excuse the matter at all.

Not really…book censorship doesn’t fit…neither do medical records…neither do personal writings and papers…nor religious and political criticism and action. Why? Because they are protected by entirely different parts of the Constitution.

The list could be very long.

Well, thus far half your list isn’t applicable.

You’re right. We should let the states decides on slavery, the right to an attorney, and freedom of speech as well! Let’s just let all civil rights be at the whim of changing at the state level at any time!

Begging the question here…all of those topics are expressly addressed in the Constitution. The issue is the privacy right to an abortion isn’t and hence, very much different those those mentioned rights as they are in the Constitution. Free speech=1st amendment, Slavery=13th amendment, Right to an attorney=6th amendment.

There is a strong, rational argument the 14th amendment DPC does not protect a privacy right to abortion as expressed by Roe or Casey. Indeed, a mere plain text reading is inconsistent with both Roe and Casey.

Back
Top Bottom