• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well, As Expected SCOTUS HAS Struck Down Roe

Yes, but abortion legislation isn't passed at the city level. Ultimately this will end up turning into a red/blue state divide when it comes to laws and I am sure the red states will keep trying to put laws in place that punish people who cross state lines for abortions.
Texas is already trying that.

Would you support a law that makes it punishable, or would you oppose such a law?

I would oppose it of course.

Do you support gun control laws which punish people for crossing state lines with firearms?

Interesting...some of the reactions that relate to MY reaction in my first post.

These articles support the "deep state" possibility.

I haven't seen any that support the "political strategy" possibility.

And then, there's the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

And the police appear to be concerned about protests...

Do SCOTUS decisions get leaked?
I thought they were pretty secretive?

It would be pretty easy to identify a leaker and I'm sure they're dealt with pretty harshly as from the little I know about the supreme court they get pretty annoyed about not following protocol.

What does it matter?

So people learn about it a month early?

What's the difference?

The reaction is going to be the same whether it's known now or a month from now.

The decision has been leaked. This is the continuation of the authoritarian, Republican culture war. Elite Republicans against everyone else. I've said many times, Republican or Democrat, if you have the money and you want an abortion, you're going to get one.

Making little girls carry their incest and rape babies to term? Lets see how that goes. I believe this is the "push" Democrats need to maintain the houses. Women, even conservative women aren't going to put up with this, IMO.

nice sob story, but striking roe just leaves it to the states to decide.

You live in seattle, according to you. Not only do i expect your life not to change at all, i expect your state government to make their abortions laws even more relaxed than before, if they ever had regulations. If anything, roe kept your state from being as liberal as it wanted...so congratulations! you won! Unless, of course, your actual intent was to force your will throughout the nation....in which case, sorry for your loss!

Interesting...some of the reactions that relate to MY reaction in my first post.

oh damn, even TOOBIN was against this leaking? Damn!

The decision has been leaked. This is the continuation of the authoritarian, Republican culture war. Elite Republicans against everyone else. I've said many times, Republican or Democrat, if you have the money and you want an abortion, you're going to get one.

Making little girls carry their incest and rape babies to term? Lets see how that goes. I believe this is the "push" Democrats need to maintain the houses. Women, even conservative women aren't going to put up with this, IMO.

Right, a reversal of Roe v Wade and Casey must be “authoritarian” because it is impossible both Roe and Casey were wrongly decided as a matter of Constitutional law.

Perhaps, the Court in Roe did misinterpret the 14th Amendment due process clause. There is sufficient evidence and facts to demonstrate Roe is contrary to the plain text meaning of the DPC of the 14th amendment. Hence, the Court correcting this error isn’t “authoritarian.”

Right, a reversal of Roe v Wade and Casey must be “authoritarian” because it is impossible both Roe and Casey were wrongly decided as a matter of Constitutional law.

Perhaps, the Court in Roe did misinterpret the 14th Amendment due process clause. There is sufficient evidence and facts to demonstrate Roe is contrary to the plain text meaning of the DPC of the 14th amendment. Hence, the Court correcting this error isn’t “authoritarian.”
Yah. Right. To every other SCOTUS before this one, Roe was "settled law". You guys couldn't wait to get your religious zealots in there to impose your will. It has nothing to do with the constitution - you know this. This is all about controlling the weak.

nice sob story, but striking roe just leaves it to the states to decide.

You live in seattle, according to you. Not only do i expect your life not to change at all, i expect your state government to make their abortions laws even more relaxed than before, if they ever had regulations. If anything, roe kept your state from being as liberal as it wanted...so congratulations! you won! Unless, of course, your actual intent was to force your will throughout the nation....in which case, sorry for your loss!
Yep, 26 states have a "trigger" law that when Roe is overturned, abortion automatically becomes illegal. It has nothing to do with the constitution, it has everything to do with politicians virtue-signaling to the hypocritical religious right. Let's see how women deal with our new puritanical right-wing. It's going to get ugly.

It would be pretty easy to identify a leaker and I'm sure they're dealt with pretty harshly as from the little I know about the supreme court they get pretty annoyed about not following protocol.

You would be surprised. Chelsea Manning, for example, was not found out until he confided in his friend Adrian Lamo.

I suspect that the Kavanaugh Pukes did it. Or, Barrett's Handlers.

I would oppose it of course.

Do you support gun control laws which punish people for crossing state lines with firearms?
Great, that's all I needed to know.

I am OK with states choosing to establish gun control laws (or not) - that's what state's rights mean.

I'm of the opinion that the supreme court shouldn't have leaks and anyone found doing so should be punished in whatever way the court sees fit.
It's such an important job that leaks shouldn't be possible.
There are always going to be leaks my friend. Are you just angry we found out? It's not like it's a national security issue? Why do you care about the leak?

Yes, but abortion legislation isn't passed at the city level. Ultimately this will end up turning into a red/blue state divide when it comes to laws and I am sure the red states will keep trying to put laws in place that punish people who cross state lines for abortions.
Except for the wealthy. And Republican politicians that get their "side pieces" pregnant. They'll always have a way to get abortions. Laws are only for non-Republicans, too poor to get away with breaking them.

Yep, 26 states have a "trigger" law that when Roe is overturned, abortion automatically becomes illegal. It has nothing to do with the constitution, it has everything to do with politicians virtue-signaling to the hypocritical religious right. Let's see how women deal with our new puritanical right-wing. It's going to get ugly.
lol politicians virtue signal to the left all the time, don't play self righteous here.

lol politicians virtue signal to the left all the time, don't play self righteous here.
Laugh all you want pal. This is horrible for women and the fact you're celebrating it says a lot about you.

Do SCOTUS decisions get leaked?
I thought they were pretty secretive?

First time ever afaik.

Laugh all you want pal. This is horrible for women and the fact you're celebrating it says a lot about you.
It says, im pro life, exactly as i've told you and told everyone. Of course I celebrate it. What did you expect? That the pro-life person here would feel SAD over this? lol

First time ever afaik.
Well, we're now in the era of the Shadow Docket and "super precedents"....the GOP appointed justices seem quite happy to do away with protocol. I say that because before Gorsuch, Kav, and Barrett, we didn't have a formal shadow docket or the concept of "super precedents".

I admit that I’ve not researched it but I don’t think a state can claim jurisdiction over behavior that happens completely in another state. Texas didn’t even try that with it’s atrocious abortion law.

This decision will effect more than just women. All law dealing with privacy could be up for review: gay marriage, sodomy laws, contraception, book censorship, medical records, personal writing and papers, religious and political criticism and action. The list could be very long.

There are always going to be leaks my friend. Are you just angry we found out? It's not like it's a national security issue? Why do you care about the leak?

Are there?
Who said anything about being angry and this has nothing to do with the decision itself and everything to do with the fact the highest court in the land has leaks.
It shouldn't leak for any reason.

Well, we're now in the era of the Shadow Docket and "super precedents"....the GOP appointed justices seem quite happy to do away with protocol. I say that because before Gorsuch, Kav, and Barrett, we didn't have a formal shadow docket or the concept of "super precedents".
The shadow docket - emergency orders and summary judgments - has been around for a very long time - maybe hundreds of years.

Whst is new is the name “shadow docket” and the number of recent summary judgments - mostly driven by the Trump administration which requested them.

Are there?
Who said anything about being angry and this has nothing to do with the decision itself and everything to do with the fact the highest court in the land has leaks.
It shouldn't leak for any reason.
Why?

The shadow docket - emergency orders and summary judgments - has been around for a very long time - maybe hundreds of years.

Whst is new is the name “shadow docket” and the number of recent summary judgments - mostly driven by the Trump administration which requested them.
Yep...that is what I meant. We've always had the shadow docket...but it was used in a pinch and sparingy. Now? Anything goes pretty much.

Back
Top Bottom