• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Washington NFL Franchise Names

New Name For DC Football

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Foreskins. This way all those 'skins shirts are still wearable

I never understood why people think it is bad to use a Native American tribe names. Of course they are not racial slurs, just like Chiefs, Warriors, and Braves are good. But Indians is an inaccurate name because it comes from Christopher Columbus believing he was in India. Native Americans obviously did not come from southern Asia.

Did American Indians decide to call themselves "natives" or "indigenous" or was it white people who decided that?

Also, in 1492, India was called Hindustan. There wasn't a country called India at the time in the entire world. So there's no way that Columbus thought he was in India and decided to call the indigenous people...'indians'. Instead, it is believed that Columbus called them "una gest in Dios" which translates to "a people in God" and then the Spaniards reduced it to "Indio" and that later morphed into "Indians".

Yep, and what's up with the Dallas Cowboys being in the NFC East? There are certainly NFC South teams located further east (like the Carolina Panthers).

Some teams remained in their original division to retain rivalries that had been built up when the league expanded. The NFL hasn't really paid much attention to actual geographical locations. When Dallas first joined it was in the West. So too were the Baltimore Colts while St. Louis was in the East, 1960.

Did American Indians decide to call themselves "natives" or "indigenous" or was it white people who decided that?

Also, in 1492, India was called Hindustan. There wasn't a country called India at the time in the entire world. So there's no way that Columbus thought he was in India and decided to call the indigenous people...'indians'. Instead, it is believed that Columbus called them "una gest in Dios" which translates to "a people in God" and then the Spaniards reduced it to "Indio" and that later morphed into "Indians".

Wow! One who actually has a truth iota! I don't knw where this takes us, but it is an interesting, thought provoking post! Good job!
Regards,
CP

Or the Los Angeles Angels that don't play in LA City or LA County?

Anaheim. They went through with several name changes, LA Angels, Anaheim Angels, California Angels. Now their official name is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim but the of Anaheim portions get omitted by most if not all.

Anaheim. They went through with several name changes, LA Angels, Anaheim Angels, California Angels. Now their official name is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim but the of Anaheim portions get omitted by most if not all.

I know. I have been to hundreds of games there. Season Tickets for 20+ years. 2nd row behind the Angel dugout.

I know. I have been to hundreds of games there. Season Tickets for 20+ years. 2nd row behind the Angel dugout.

Come to think of it, the Atlanta Braves no longer play in Atlanta either. Their new park is in Cobb County, Atlanta is in Fulton County. Sun Trust Park is in the unincorporated area of Cobb County known as Cumberland.

I haven't been up there since they moved out of Turner Field. There north of Atlanta, I live 25 miles south of Atlanta. There's no need, Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast carry all their games on TV and then there's always the radio. It seems if one gets down and does some research, you'll find a lot of teams not playing in their cities anymore. Suburbs, yes, city no.

come to think of it, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington Texas, a city between Dallas and Ft. Worth. But the New York Giants and Jets are the only teams I can think of that play in a different state, New Jersey than one would expect with their name of being New York.

Come to think of it, the Atlanta Braves no longer play in Atlanta either. Their new park is in Cobb County, Atlanta is in Fulton County. Sun Trust Park is in the unincorporated area of Cobb County known as Cumberland.

I haven't been up there since they moved out of Turner Field. There north of Atlanta, I live 25 miles south of Atlanta. There's no need, Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast carry all their games on TV and then there's always the radio. It seems if one gets down and does some research, you'll find a lot of teams not playing in their cities anymore. Suburbs, yes, city no.

come to think of it, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington Texas, a city between Dallas and Ft. Worth. But the New York Giants and Jets are the only teams I can think of that play in a different state, New Jersey than one would expect with their name of being New York.

And the SF 49ers play in Santa Clara... and now I am going to have to look up who plays where!! :lol:

NFL

• The Giants & Jets both play on the other side of the Hudson from Manhattan, in East Rutherford, New Jersey
  • The Cowboys play in Arlington, Texas (20 miles from Dallas)
  • The Redskins play in Landover, Maryland (5 miles east of D.C)
  • The Dolphins play in Miami Gardens, (north of the main city of Miami)
  • The 49ers stadium is in Santa Clara, CA (45 miles from San Francisco)
  • The Bills play in Orchard Park, NY (15 miles from Buffalo)
  • The Chargers currently play in Carson, CA (13 miles south of L.A)

How many NFL teams don't play in the city of their name? - Quora

The Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills

I think the Tampa Bay Devil Rays play somewhere else too...

Last edited:
Three names seem to have floated to the top of the heap; which one do you think it will be?

1) Red Tails

2) Red Wolves

3) Warriors

Ranking The Top 3 Choices For The Redskins' New Name

Three names floated to top of dung heap. The only name should be Redskins, anything else is stupid and for stupid reasons. To think that naming a team after native american is anything other than an honor is a joke. Of course we are talking about stupid liberals who probably don't care a thing in the world about the NFL and even less about native americans.

I'm partial to Red Epidermis. It's a little sciency, but respectfully disrespectful.

Well I'm really offended and hurt when whites are referred to as racists so that should stop immediately.

We have never lived in an era with so many mentally damaged, pussified leftists looking to get their feelings hurt and claim victim status. When the Redskins name was chosen it was approved by a tribal counsel. When the modern day logo was developed it was created BY an Indian and given approval as a symbol of pride by Indian chiefs.

Times change. Al Jolson wouldn't get work in blackface today. We don't call them Chinamen. Dago Red has fallen out of use as a name for table wine. Even WASPS have been affected: there used to be a minor league baseball team known as the Atlanta Crackers.

I'm partial to Red Epidermis. It's a little sciency, but respectfully disrespectful.

What should we name a team that is:

- Overpaid
- Underperforming
- Concerned with appearing systemically racist

The Washington Democrats!

Times change. Al Jolson wouldn't get work in blackface today. We don't call them Chinamen. Dago Red has fallen out of use as a name for table wine. Even WASPS have been affected: there used to be a minor league baseball team known as the Atlanta Crackers.
And yet..survey after survey proves its not the American Indian that is motivating this change..its the idiot leftists.

- Overpaid
- Underperforming

In fairness, that is equally applied to the GOP, except for the concern about racist part.

And yet..survey after survey proves its not the American Indian that is motivating this change..its the idiot leftists.

I took a look, and that appears to be wrong. One article reported it as no biggie, that polls showed Indians didn't mind, another said polls showed the opposite. A couple of others quoted national Indian leaders as saying it should go, with one referring to the name "Redskins" as the "worst offender," hoping that if it changed others would.

Think about naming a team the New Orleans Darkies or the Brooklyn Hebes. Wouldn't fly.

I took a look, and that appears to be wrong. One article reported it as no biggie, that polls showed Indians didn't mind, another said polls showed the opposite. A couple of others quoted national Indian leaders as saying it should go, with one referring to the name "Redskins" as the "worst offender," hoping that if it changed others would.

Think about naming a team the New Orleans Darkies or the Brooklyn Hebes. Wouldn't fly.
Let me guess...you read the articles that show 90% of Indians dont mind the name or find it an honor, and then focused on the poll done by Berkeley?

Do you know that there are Indian schools with their team name and Mascot "Redskins"? Today...still?

And the SF 49ers play in Santa Clara... and now I am going to have to look up who plays where!! :lol:

NFL

• The Giants & Jets both play on the other side of the Hudson from Manhattan, in East Rutherford, New Jersey
  • The Cowboys play in Arlington, Texas (20 miles from Dallas)
  • The Redskins play in Landover, Maryland (5 miles east of D.C)
  • The Dolphins play in Miami Gardens, (north of the main city of Miami)
  • The 49ers stadium is in Santa Clara, CA (45 miles from San Francisco)
  • The Bills play in Orchard Park, NY (15 miles from Buffalo)
  • The Chargers currently play in Carson, CA (13 miles south of L.A)

How many NFL teams don't play in the city of their name? - Quora

The Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills

I think the Tampa Bay Devil Rays play somewhere else too...

St. Petersburg. Now Tampa/St. Petersburg is like Minneapolis/St. Paul, two cities grown together.

Washington PaleFaces has a ring to it. Maybe you can mail Snyder with the suggestion.

Then you would have white radical groups calling foul. That's no solution.

Who the hell is Snyder?

Why would I care if I knew him or not?

Well I'm really offended and hurt when whites are referred to as racists so that should stop immediately.

See, it doesn't bother me at all; and for two reasons:

1) I know from the data and clear observation that racism continues even at institutional levels,

2) And I know that I'm not the problem.

Unfortunately, we still live in a country where neo-Nazis and White Supremacists are welcomed at mainstream political rallies and blacks are still disproportionately killed by white cops. So when I see them kneel at football games during the National Anthem, I take no offense and understand what they are trying to peacefully express. I don't choose to ignore the message so that I can parade around in shock, invoking false patriotism as my obtuse guide.

And how, aside from the data, do we know that this crap persists at even institutional levels?

- After eight years of a GOP White House, the GOP immediately threw a fit the moment a Democrat got elected. In November of 2016, McConnell announced that it would be official policy to obstruct anything and everything from an Obama Administration. Mind you, that this was even during two ongoing wars that their side drove us into, a banking meltdown and the beginning of the Great Recession that their side greatly helped create, and before Obama even entered the White House that following January. The man hadn't even entered the White House and the GOP said hell no. This was repeated by Boehner and Ryan soon after. This policy of obstruction was wrapped around irrational hatred and disgust over upending the status quo. A white president-elect would not have had to endure accusations that he was a white European, Muslim, terrorist sympathizer. And he would not have been called a monkey later either. Enter MAGA eight years later and the attendance of White Supremacists at Trump rallies celebrating the return of whiteness to the White House and opposing the Democrat's next foul of trying to put a woman there.

And after this? Conservatives throughout the land begin complaining about being called racist while telling black people that they are arrogant and need to just shut up about it.

- Overpaid
- Underperforming

Your warped perspective is shaped by Trump's "do-nothing" nickname. But with Trump running to Pelosi's Democrats for a social plan on March 13, the nickname is clearly an offense to the reality. Trump clearly knows it, you pretend not to know it.

It's amazing that your partisanship makes you so blind that you can accuse the Democrats of under-performing when it was the GOP that just betrayed the country by allowing their president to get away with trying to commit treason in your name. The Democrats rightfully impeached the traitor, after the GOP spent three years doing little and squirming around what they chose to fall in line with. With masses of Republicans and conservatives using this COVID fiasco as an excuse to finally jump ship, I would think a smart man would be able to see the reality. Democrats have been doing their jobs. Republicans have not and branded the Democrat's efforts to hold this idiot accountable as just "partisan."

It was also the GOP that made "The Party of No" a documented policy in the House and Senate throughout Obama's tenure. This was McConnell, Boehner, and absolutely Paul Ryan. And it's the GOP, instead of doing its job, that has allowed itself to be a servant to the current Executive now. This is why southern states are sucking COVID wind right now. Loyalty to idiot mattered more than loyalty to American citizen.

But why not? You people have an obsession with politicizing everything so why not even our entertainment? The sad thing is that you choose to see a pointing out of calling Native American "redskins" as just a political thing. This is just one more reason that Trump's support has seen disaster in multiple demographics.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what it was "decades" ago. If some team was called the N-Word because in the past it wasn't perceived to be that bad, should they keep it today? The NFL exists today, so they are held to today's standards. Their name is a racial slur and is recognized as a racial slur.

I agree with you and only asked a simple question which you obviously could not answer.

Back
Top Bottom