• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Washington NFL Franchise Names

New Name For DC Football

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You need to learn sports team history.

The Saints got their name from the date the NFL awarded New Orleans a team: November 1, which is All Saints Day.
The Vikings are named after the Norse people who settled in that region. Before them, no people went to Minnesota.

Nobody ever attacked the teams for having such names, just like there have been no issues with the NBA's Celtics or MLB's Padres. It is always Native American names that get the this crap.

The Texas Ranger's name should go. The Rangers were basically a legalized lynch mob.

I like the Washington Bureaucrats. Talk about instilling fear and dread. Go 'crats!

The Washington Do Nothings, Deplorables, Elite, or Grid Lock.

It never bothered me that they were the Washington Redskins. No more than the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, bother me. I find the Atlanta Braves Tomahawk chop motion and chant to be more offending that the Redskins.

It may be a PC move, but their name actually IS a racial slur. Other teams named after particular tribes don't suffer the same problem. And while many PC movements have chosen to remove Native American names from teams, this particular move isn't as bad as that since their name is an actual racial slur.

Was it a racial slur when first used many decades ago?

I feel no racial slur by being called "Pale Face"

Washington PaleFaces has a ring to it. Maybe you can mail Snyder with the suggestion.

It doesn't matter what it was "decades" ago. If some team was called the N-Word because in the past it wasn't perceived to be that bad, should they keep it today? The NFL exists today, so they are held to today's standards. Their name is a racial slur and is recognized as a racial slur.

The swamp would be a better name for the stadium than the new PC team - thus we could have both.

The swamp is home to the Florida Gators. Since the name change is a PC move, how about the D.C. P.C.'ers. or the Washington Elites since every politician in Washington always knows what is best for everybody else than everybody else knows for themselves.

Senators... they could go with the whole Roman motif for the Logo and Mascot.

Plus, it pays homage to the old baseball team.

Nah, how about the D.C. Mudslingers since everyone running for office in D.C or trying to get reelected slings tons of mud at their opponent.

The swamp is home to the Florida Gators. Since the name change is a PC move, how about the D.C. P.C.'ers. or the Washington Elites since every politician in Washington always knows what is best for everybody else than everybody else knows for themselves.

Perhaps, the new team name should drop the Washington reference as well - since they have not played in D.C. for decades.

Perhaps, the new team name should drop the Washington reference as well - since they have not played in D.C. for decades.

More than one NFL franchise fits that bill, iirc.

Nah, how about the D.C. Mudslingers since everyone running for office in D.C or trying to get reelected slings tons of mud at their opponent.

That's actually pretty close to my second pick - Hogs. And that pays tribute to their famed offensive line during the Joe Gibbs era.

That's actually pretty close to my second pick - Hogs. And that pays tribute to their famed offensive line during the Joe Gibbs era.

The first Joe Gibbs era.

Even Joe couldn’t make chicken salad outta chicken ****!

The Football Team Unit.

Naming a team ANYTHING that can be attributed to ANY group will sooner or later just get attacked as racist, sexist, specist, etc. naming them the Red Tails would be a HORRIBLE idea. Imagine the fury and poutrage...appropriating heritage as a team name and mascot.

We have never lived in an era with so many mentally damaged, pussified leftists looking to get their feelings hurt and claim victim status. When the Redskins name was chosen it was approved by a tribal counsel. When the modern day logo was developed it was created BY an Indian and given approval as a symbol of pride by Indian chiefs.

Well you know, the Washington Post is such a conservative rag I'm SURE they went out of their way to bias it in favor of the white nationalists.

I suspect that they asked real Indians, and I suspect REAL Indians see the state of the American native and have a ****ton more to worry about than a football team name and Logo that were DESIGNED by Indians in the first place.

1-Only idiot leftists deem it a racial slur. 2-No...because once you hit 3 years old you are supposed to grow out of that ****.

What do Red Mesa, Wellpinit High School, and Kingston High School all have in common?

"more than 88 percent of the students and 70 percent of the faculty at Red Mesa High School are in favor of keeping their longtime mascot. And most students (60 percent) said they did not agree that "Redskins" is a racial slur. Just 7 percent find the word is offensive, while the rest (33 percent) said they weren’t sure."

“I don’t find it derogatory," Red Mesa superintendent Tommie Yazzie told the newspaper. "It’s a source of pride.”

Why are you so offended by the name change? Do you have a personal stake in the the team's existing name? Let it go already.

Ah, Landover. If they were honest I suppose dropping Washington since they don't play there would be the right thing to do along with the Redskins. I also think both the New York Giants and Jets football teams ought to drop New York for the East Rutherford Giants and Jets. Either that or the New Jersey Giants and Jets. At least that would be the name of the state they play in.

Exactly. The Redskins haven't been much since Gibbs left anyway.

First, when the Redskins name was chosen, it was not approved for by an Native American council at that time. It was a decision made by then-owner George Preston Marshall, who had an interest in things related to Native Americans. He was both inspired by Native Americans and wanted to change the name as they had the same name as the Boston Braves at that time. BTW, the coach Marshall hired...may not have been a Native American Indian. The jury is still out on that one.

Why Did the Washington Redskins Choose the Name “Redskins” in the First Place, Rather than Some Other Native American Name? – Marquette University Law School Faculty Blog

Second, the logo is fine. The name Redskins is not. The logo is a legit representation, not a caricature. So, your argument on that doesn't really mean anything. Besides, just because a small group are ok with it does not mean that the rest of the Native American Indians in this nation are.

Side note: before you call people pu$$ies for being PC, just remember that it was conservatives who got all bent out of shape when Obama wore a tan suit and blew off the top of their heads when Starbucks didn't put Christmas imagery on their coffee cups one year. Oh, the humanity!

To toughen up the PC ******s the name Redskins should stay and some other team, like the Cowboys, should change their name to something "offensive" like the Dallas Pale Faces...

Ah, Landover. If they were honest I suppose dropping Washington since they don't play there would be the right thing to do along with the Redskins. I also think both the New York Giants and Jets football teams ought to drop New York for the East Rutherford Giants and Jets. Either that or the New Jersey Giants and Jets. At least that would be the name of the state they play in.

Yep, and what's up with the Dallas Cowboys being in the NFC East? There are certainly NFC South teams located further east (like the Carolina Panthers).

Or the Los Angeles Angels that don't play in LA City or LA County?

None of the posters get it. This is the age of "woke" and "anti-racist". The name change should be to...

The Washington Indigenous Aboriginal Peoples.

Now is that inspiring or what?

What a cheer: "Go Indigenous Aboriginals"

Alternatively: "The people of color", "The BLM's".

Finally, to be historically accurate "Go Nacotchtanks" ...now that name is a winner.

What a stupid post.

The pusillanimous’s

How could African-Americans NOT like Redtails.?
Look where the name comes from.

The Redtails nickname was used by the Tuskegee Airmen, the nation's first African American aerial combat unit, who broke the color barrier during World War II. Mark Crosby, a high school cross-country coach in Madison, Wis., designed a Redtails logo and uniform set as part of the 99designs contest in 2013.

Back
Top Bottom