• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

War's over

misterman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
By the way. Obama fulfilled another promise and brought our troops home!

(And to anticipate - no, he never said he'd end the Afghanistan war, at least not in his first term. I believe he said he'd send more troops there).

Ended the Iraq War.

Killed bin Laden.

His foreign-policy achievements are looking good.

He's not lauding them particularly much... He'll prolly deliver these points as zingers during campaign.

Did we win?

Ended the Iraq War.

Killed bin Laden.

His foreign-policy achievements are looking good.

I don't think these are brilliant achievements in and of themselves, but personally I do agree that his record on foreign policy has been pretty good thus far. Economy, not so much.

I don't think these are brilliant achievements in and of themselves, but personally I do agree that his record on foreign policy has been pretty good thus far. Economy, not so much.
Yeah, why wouldn't other countries be happy with him, what with all those economy-killing jobs we've given 'em?! ;)

The Dec. 31 2011 timeline for withdrawal was agreed to by the US and Iraq on Nov 16, 2008 in a SOFA agreement. This took place during the Bush administration. http://usiraq.procon.org/sourcefiles/SOFA-11-19-08.pdf The SOFA was signed by the Iraqi parliament on Nov. 27, 2008. The agreement, which had been in negotiations since 2007, set a timetable calling for most U.S. troops to leave Iraqi towns and cities by June 30, 2009, with about 50,000 troops left in place until the final withdrawal of all U.S. military forces by Dec. 31, 2011.

And Obama gets credit for the withdrawal of our troops this because ?

Last edited:
The Dec. 31 2011 timeline for withdrawal was agreed to by the US and Iraq on Nov 16, 2008 in a SOFA agreement. This took place during the Bush administration. http://usiraq.procon.org/sourcefiles/SOFA-11-19-08.pdf The SOFA was signed by the Iraqi parliament on Nov. 27, 2008. The agreement, which had been in negotiations since 2007, set a timetable calling for most U.S. troops to leave Iraqi towns and cities by June 30, 2009, with about 50,000 troops left in place until the final withdrawal of all U.S. military forces by Dec. 31, 2011.

Because setting a timetable is not the same thing as following through with the timetable.

Once again...depends on your definition of "winning."

With the way that Iraq and US relations have fallen apart and now the realization that Iran has foreign ministers traveling with Iraq officials to Washington and the White House... I would say that we lost the war and wasted hundreds of billions of dollars.

Here's some relevant links: Iraq War Facts, Statistics at November 30, 2011 - Iraq War Casualties, Spending and How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish | World news | The Guardian

Wow -- almost a trillion dollars total cost of the war. Though I hear that figure too is being downsized a bit by who knows what means, that's still a good chunk a' change. But, we did manage to pretty much keep our oil flowing.

I find the 9-12 billion dollars sent to Iraq and simply lost, in bribes or, well, who knows what, to be .. interesting.

Even though the war is over, the region is still what it is .. and I doubt they're really ready for democracy in a land where theocracy is still envisioned.

Thus I can't help but wonder when the next heavy-handed Saddam will appear to keep religiously unstable Iraq .. stable.

That won't be so bad, all nuclear things considered, providing that he too won't want to divert our share of light sweet Iraqi crude to China.

Your signature - if I understand it correctly - is really offensive.

Did we win?

Key word 'we'.

Perhaps Obama will transform into a 1000 armed kali yuga demon with 7 heads and smite all the taliban in Afghanistan.

In essence we lost, because we weren't basically going to commit genocide there.
Which is kind-of a win.

Back
Top Bottom