• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#995]Pelosi banned from receiving communion in San Francisco archdiocese over her position on abortion

This is a case of a high ranking religious using the power and authority of his position in the catholic church, the female members of which hold virtually no positions of power or authority whatsoever in the hierarchy of, to publicly browbeat and shame a high visibility public official and a leader of a major political party and female member of the church to publicly repudiate her position and that of great many in her party, Americans in general, and the majority of Catholics as well, of being in favor of legalized abortion, which the all male Catholic clergy opposes, isn't a paternal and political power play, then I don't know what is.

AG Steward wasn't able to provide her with a clear answer to it. So she wasn't wrong either.

Thanks for confirming they want the law of the land in respect to abortion to be exclusively based on their religious beliefs. Which would be contrary to the Establishment Clause.

An elected public official and party leader having a public and personal opinion contrary to that of the Church that a majority of Catholics share or sympathize with, is not as much of a theological issue as it is a political issue. Including the politics within the Church itself. Let's not pretend that isn't a thing.
You can pretend whatever you like, but it won't change the facts. The CC is within its rights to declare what they expect from their parishioners. If the parishioners don't like it they can go elsewhere.

A gazillion conservative posts about communion. Hardly any about the children who are raped by Southern Baptists (and asked to have abortions).

Does anyone have any other questions?

You can pretend whatever you like, but it won't change the facts. The CC is within its rights to declare what they expect from their parishioners. If the parishioners don't like it they can go elsewhere.
And they are. The US Catholic Church is steadily shrinking as more and more young people and females especially are finding that they simply can't relate to it.

So that makes you happy. It still doesn't change the decision of the Archbishop. I guess to some people integrity means more than popularity.

Yup

I've been saying he shouldnt all along 🤷 That's his job.

Nancy is indeed standing up for 'the people' and doing her job, despite the blowback. (y)
Integrity means you stand up for your beliefs. It helps if you're not double minded.

James 1:8
A double minded man (or woman) is unstable in all his ways.

Integrity means you stand up for your beliefs. It helps if you're not double minded.

James 1:8
A double minded man (or woman) is unstable in all his ways.

Integrity means doing the job you signed up for. Kudos to Nancy, who knew when she ran that would have to/should put her personal beliefs aside to serve "the people." And she is upholding that commitment.

Integrity means doing the job you signed up for. Kudos to Nancy, who knew when she ran that would have to/should put her personal beliefs aside to serve "the people." And she is upholding that commitment.
And the Archbishop is doing his job. Guess which one is gonna receive communion in his diocese?

Yeah, I said that. Why are you repeating it?

I dont give a damn. OTOH, it seems Nancy has her priorities straight.
I know you don't, so why say it?

You knew that? I didnt know you did. So that's why I wrote it :D
Enjoy the rest of your day. Pop a cork and celebrate Nancy's victory.

Shall we look at what Pope Francis said Gummy? Looks to me like he was reprimanding priests and bishops....

The pope told journalists that when defending a principle, some bishops act in a way “that is not pastoral” and “enter the political sphere.”

“And what should a shepherd do? Be a shepherd. Not going around condemning,” the pope added. “They must be a shepherd, in God’s style, which is closeness, compassion and tenderness.”

“A shepherd that doesn’t know how to act in God’s style slips and enters into many things that are not of a shepherd.”

He does go on to say that abortion is homicide, but he never once says that they should be denied communion if the person is pro choice.
The posts you're responding to has a quotes from Pope speaking directly to reporters. That's what being on the record means. Again, read his quotes in full rather than cutting them up to mean what you want them to mean.

And the Archbishop is doing his job. Guess which one is gonna receive communion in his diocese?
Guess who keeps getting passed over for a promotion for his disobedience.....the Archbishop. Guess who could be retired soon if he keeps being political instead of pastoral....the Archbishop.

That argument is as tired as it is stupid. Money if fungible. Any money that the Government gives Planned Parenthood to fund non-Abortion expenses is money freed up that Planned Parenthood can direct to the primary function of Planned Parenthood: Abortions.

"I didn't fund Al Qaeda's terror cell activities! I just paid their rent!" .. same logic.
prove that the funds given to PP were used for abortions....my bets are you cannot...especially since a person that gets an abortion through PP has to PAY for it.

Guess who keeps getting passed over for a promotion for his disobedience.....the Archbishop. Guess who could be retired soon if he keeps being political instead of pastoral....the Archbishop.
Could be, but for now he remains the Archbishop and, unlike Nancy, will receive Holy Communion in his diocese.

Shall we look at what Pope Francis said Gummy? Looks to me like he was reprimanding priests and bishops....

The pope told journalists that when defending a principle, some bishops act in a way “that is not pastoral” and “enter the political sphere.”

“And what should a shepherd do? Be a shepherd. Not going around condemning,” the pope added. “They must be a shepherd, in God’s style, which is closeness, compassion and tenderness.”

“A shepherd that doesn’t know how to act in God’s style slips and enters into many things that are not of a shepherd.”

He does go on to say that abortion is homicide, but he never once says that they should be denied communion if the person is pro choice.
He's saying he doesn't want to fully excommunicate these people because he wants to assist them in coming back to the church and it's teachings. However, while they are engaging in this behavior they are "outside the community" and can't receive communion. They aren't fully kicked out and ignored. They're just on the outs while they work on coaching them to follow the teachings of the church. That's exactly what this Archbishop did.

Back
Top Bottom