• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#995]Pelosi banned from receiving communion in San Francisco archdiocese over her position on abortion

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(CNN) - The conservative archbishop of San Francisco, Salvatore Cordileone, says House Speaker Nancy Pelosi may no longer receive the holy sacrament of Communion in the archdiocese, because she supports abortion rights.

In a letter to Pelosi released Friday afternoon, the archbishop wrote that he had informed the California Democrat that "should you not publically repudiate your advocacy for abortion 'rights' or else refrain from referring to your Catholic faith in public and receiving Holy Communion, I would have no choice but to make a declaration, in keeping with canon 915, that you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion."

"As you have not publically repudiated your position on abortion, and continue to refer to your Catholic faith in justifying your position and to receive Holy Communion, that time has now come," he continued. "Therefore, in light of my responsibility as the Archbishop of San Francisco to be 'concerned for all the Christian faithful entrusted to [my] care' (Code of Canon Law, can. 383, §1), by means of this communication I am hereby notifying you that you are not to present yourself for Holy Communion and, should you do so, you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion, until such time as you publically repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of Penance."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/poli...abortion-san-francisco-archdiocese/index.html

—————

Interesting move. I wonder if we’ll see more of this in the coming months.

(CNN) - The conservative archbishop of San Francisco, Salvatore Cordileone, says House Speaker Nancy Pelosi may no longer receive the holy sacrament of Communion in the archdiocese, because she supports abortion rights.

In a letter to Pelosi released Friday afternoon, the archbishop wrote that he had informed the California Democrat that "should you not publically repudiate your advocacy for abortion 'rights' or else refrain from referring to your Catholic faith in public and receiving Holy Communion, I would have no choice but to make a declaration, in keeping with canon 915, that you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion."

"As you have not publically repudiated your position on abortion, and continue to refer to your Catholic faith in justifying your position and to receive Holy Communion, that time has now come," he continued. "Therefore, in light of my responsibility as the Archbishop of San Francisco to be 'concerned for all the Christian faithful entrusted to [my] care' (Code of Canon Law, can. 383, §1), by means of this communication I am hereby notifying you that you are not to present yourself for Holy Communion and, should you do so, you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion, until such time as you publically repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of Penance."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/poli...abortion-san-francisco-archdiocese/index.html

—————

Yawn.

I can't think of a better way to spread disease than everyone taking wine from the same cup or communion that has been so exposed

Pelosi should tell the archdiocese to take a hike.
- all contributions to the church will be stopped.
-find another church that is more reasonable.
- tell the Pope to have a good day.

Never been a catholic. Never been a fan of large organized religion.

—————

And, the pope is gonna slap that archbishop down. He doesn't play these stupid games.

—————

Biden was denied communion at my friend's small Catholic church during a campaign stop in a small SC city. Biden didn't say a word about it but the Priest made sure to run to the local newspaper and let them know what he did. :rolleyes:

—————

She doesn't care. She has her booze and her ice cream.

—————

If the church decides to finally take sexually assaulting minors seriously, then I'll take this seriously.

I don't get the point of doing this. Are Catholics in SF now going to be required to profess their political stances? Does this also apply to the death penalty?
I think someone at the church is getting a thrill out of playing politics with communion. Very GOP Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom