• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:8]Gun deaths in America - a new record!

Re: Gun deaths in America - a new record!

What does this ^^ have to do with the definition of a school shooting?

No, it doesn’t. From your everytown reference: “It defines a school shooting as any time a gun fires or discharges inside or into a building or on a campus at a high school or college.” Clax1911 said that if a suicide by firearm occurs near a school it is considered a school shooting.

1. You don’t accept what Wikipedia says, but you’ll accept what the Guardian, a UK based organization, says?
2. You made up your assertion that a suicide by firearm near a school is considered a school shooting. It doesn’t say that in OP’s reference or anywhere else that I’m aware of.
3. I’m addressing you because you are attempting to spread misinformation.

Okay I don't know if the guardian is using the same definition Wikipedia made up.
I didn't make anything up, and the OP is trying to spread misinformation. And you don't have the first clue about what it's talking about.

So don't come to me with this nonsense unless you got something to back it up. Something more than some unrelated to Wikipedia definition.

Please cite a single reported example supporting your claim.

Its well known that "school shooting" claims are overinflated

Here is one example from this year that was considered a "school shooting"

09/20/2018 Pomona, CA

A man was found near the bleachers with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police believe he entered school grounds the night before and shot himself before classes began that morning.

https://everytownresearch.org/gunfire-in-school/#6803

From the Guardian: 2018 is worst year on record for gun violence in schools, data shows

Excerpt:

It is clear that American schools are no longer safe from kids who "go bonkers" with a gun.

Instead of wasting $650B on the DoD, why not take some of that money and fund schools to implement detector entry-gates? And stores put them in for customer scrutiny and guns be no longer allowed sales in such outlets?

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/834/cpsprodpb/CFE8/production/_100042235_gunlawsv2_640-nc.png[/QUOTE]

Why take money from Defense? There were 10,000 terrorist incidents last year globally. If you want better security in schools, take the money from the war on drugs, which [I]causes[/I] gun violence.

Okay I don't know if the guardian is using the same definition Wikipedia made up.
I didn't make anything up, and the OP is trying to spread misinformation. And you don't have the first clue about what it's talking about.

So don't come to me with this nonsense unless you got something to back it up. Something more than some unrelated to Wikipedia definition.
Why is it so hard to simply admit that you are wrong?

You said that suicides by firearms that happen near schools are considered “school shootings”. That is factually incorrect. Man up.

Its well known that "school shooting" claims are overinflated
Well known by whom? Who says school shooting numbers are overinflated? Do you have any credible references?

Here is one example from this year that was considered a "school shooting"
The above incident is definitely shaving the definition of “school shooting” pretty close, but technically it is.

Well known by whom? Who says school shooting numbers are overinflated? Do you have any credible references?

The above incident is definitely shaving the definition of “school shooting” pretty close, but technically it is.

Too many "gun fired but no one injured" incidents are used to inflate the stats. Why not use "car sped by but no one injured" incidents to call for banning cars?

What purpose does it serve to include the after hours suicide of a grown man on a remote part of school grounds as a "school shooting"?

Why is it so hard to simply admit that you are wrong?
you haven't shown that I am.

You said that suicides by firearms that happen near schools are considered “school shootings”. That is factually incorrect. Man up.
that's a false claim.

What purpose does it serve to include the after hours suicide of a grown man on a remote part of school grounds as a "school shooting"?

The purpose is to show that a 'crisis' exists which demands bans on scary black rifles and 'large capacity' magazines. Never mind that the suicide involved neither - if you oppose the gun grabbers 'solutions' then you are for little kids getting shot in our schools.

Too many "gun fired but no one injured" incidents are used to inflate the stats. Why not use "car sped by but no one injured" incidents to call for banning cars?
Do you have evidence that supports your assertion? If so, please post it.

None as far I’m concerned.

you haven't shown that I am.
You made an assertion without any any supporting evidence whatsoever. Where is your evidence?
that's a false claim.
Liar.
If somebody commits suicide by fire arm near a school it's considered a school shooting.

You made an assertion without any any supporting evidence whatsoever. Where is your evidence?
I can make assertions if you don't want to believe them than don't.

Lol

None as far I’m concerned.

Liar.

It (the following link) had already been posted. I got it from your reply in post #31.

Now that I have done your "homework" for you, I expect an honest reply and/or appology for your laziness to even read other posts in this thread.

I can make assertions if you don't want to believe them than don't.
Translation: “I can post ridiculous notions that I pull out of my keister all I want.”

Liars say
when caught lying.

It (the following link) had already been posted. I got it from your reply in post #31.
Now that I have done your "homework" for you, I expect an honest reply and/or appology for your laziness to even read other posts in this thread.
This ^^ does nothing to support your assertion (that is included below for ease of comparison/validation).
All of my responses are honest, and you are owed no apology. If you want to make your point, on your own, don’t be so lazy as to use someone else’s reference.

Translation: “I can post ridiculous notions that I pull out of my keister all I want.”

Liars say when caught lying.

This ^^ does nothing to support your assertion (that is included below for ease of comparison/validation).

All of my responses are honest, and you are owed no apology. If you want to make your point, on your own, don’t be so lazy as to use someone else’s reference.

The lazy one is you - you quoted the link in your reply yet did not bother to read it. HAND

Liars say when caught lying.

Well okay then

Why take money from Defense? There were 10,000 terrorist incidents last year globally. If you want better security in schools, take the money from the war on drugs, which causes gun violence.

Because given that the a state of war exists with no country on earth, the money is wasted.

It could be reduced by 50% and the world would continue ticking right-on-time.

And the money could be more productively employed where needed. Like expanding (1) lifespan of Americans with a National Health Service. Or (2) teaching for free necessary skills to our kids at postsecondary institutions of learning so that they don't end-up on the Unemployment Rolls (in this new Information Age of ours).

Unless, of course, you can think of an even better usage ...

Cherry picking a specific (and oddly defined?) crime statistic and using a short term change in that (cooked up?) data to call for a long term, narowly targeted 'solution' is a bad idea.

Oh, cut the damn data-pie anyway you want - you still can't argue competently away from the facts.

We are gun-crazy nation and many of us are dying uselessly as a result.

if you think "that's the cost we pay to play with guns", then ... well, never mind - they'll kick me off this site if I write exactly what I think of your so-called "logic"!

The lazy one is you - you quoted the link in your reply yet did not bother to read it. HAND
If I didn’t read the cited reference, how did I know what it said in order to respond, genius? Mic drop.

Oh, cut the damn data-pie anyway you want - you still can't argue competently away from the facts.

We are gun-crazy nation and many of us are dying uselessly as a result.

if you think "that's the cost we pay to play with guns", then ... well, never mind - they'll kick me off this site if I write exactly what I think of your so-called "logic"!

Then propose Constitutional, effective and enforceable laws that would be enforced.

You keep calling me names. I already said you won the interwebs. That's what you want isn't it?
I’m not calling you “names”, I am using a correct identifier. Totally different things.

What I want is honest discussion/debate. Something you seem to be incapable of.

I’m not calling you “names”, I am using a correct identifier. Totally different things.

What I want is honest discussion/debate. Something you seem to be incapable of.

Well if I'm incapable and you insist on talking to me then that's not what you want at all.

Back
Top Bottom