• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:508]Why is Africa the most backward continent in the world? Is African culture to blame?

If someone has a racist whites = bad, blacks = good agenda, then they are racist.

If someone thinks having to face the the reality that colonization cost millions of innocent people their lives and wrecked multiple continents is “racist”, they are totally clueless.

If someone thinks having to face the the reality that colonization cost millions of innocent people their lives and wrecked multiple continents is “racist”, they are totally clueless.

If someone thinks, as you do, that only whites are responsible for Africa's problems, then they will be called out for their racism.

Full stop.

If someone thinks, as you do, that only whites are responsible for Africa's problems, then they will be called out for their racism.

Full stop.

Someone who breaks down in tears because they don’t like having to face the fact their colonist heroes wrecked a continent and killed millions of innocent people is totally clueless.

Full stop.

the fact their colonist heroes wrecked a continent

More racism.

So corrupt African leaders have no blame in your one sided and racist opinion?

Are they evil whites painted black maybe?

More racism.

Who said that? I pointed out the fact that your idols set numerous countries up to fail....which they did.

More racism.

Examples of "corrupt African leaders" doing this to white American women?

"Slave breeding in the United States was the practice in slave states of the United States of slave owners to systematically force the reproduction of enslaved people to increase their profits.[1] .."

"Slave breeding in the United States was the practice in slave states of the United States of slave owners to systematically force the reproduction of enslaved people to increase their profits

That is shocking, if true. This is very similar to what the Zulu's did when they defeated other tribes.

They killed the men and took the women to bear children.

But of course, Woke Americans ignore such evil deeds because the perpetrators were black.

Can someone explain what African culture is?

Can someone explain what African culture is?

I suggest you use Google to more fully explain, but my own experience from living there agrees with Gabriel Idang (University of Uyo, Uyo, Nigeria) :

"all African peoples share a series of dominant cultural traits which distinguish African Culture from the rest of the world. For example, social values, religion, morals, political values, economics and aesthetic values"

Er, have you forgotten that this thread is about Africa and not about how bad those "evil whites" from Spain were?

Why not comment on the recent links posted on the views of Africans, instead of your whites = bad agenda?

I can see you're looking for a way out now, so you may take it.

I suggest you use Google to more fully explain, but my own experience from living there agrees with Gabriel Idang (University of Uyo, Uyo, Nigeria) :

"all African peoples share a series of dominant cultural traits which distinguish African Culture from the rest of the world. For example, social values, religion, morals, political values, economics and aesthetic values"

Somehow it seems pretty risky logically to speak of indigenous peoples from various countries with artificial boundaries drawn by outsiders, whose economic fate has been to provide relatively cheap raw materials in exchange for expensive manufacturing goods, and whose political fate was often directed by outsiders for generations, yet unite them as failing the development test. I would posit that some of the same analysis could apply to indigenous peoples in the Americas, and various groups in Asia as well.

Last edited:
I can see you're looking for a way out now, so you may take it.

You wish.

You can't provide any intelligent "on topic" response ,so go to attacking the Spanish for murders in South America when the native people often constituted 97% of those who carried out the "Spanish" killings.

Even Cortes had a hard time preventing them murder other native people :

"We had more trouble in preventing our allies from killing with such cruelty than we had in fighting the enemy. For no race, however savage, has ever practiced such fierce and unnatural cruelty as the natives of these parts."

But it's all about those evil whites in your opinion! Lol!

Somehow it seems pretty risky logically to speak of indigenous peoples from various countries with artificial boundaries drawn by outsiders, whose economic fate has been to provide relatively cheap raw materials in exchange for expensive manufacturing goods, and whose political fate was often directed by outsiders for generations, yet unite them as failing the development test. I would posit that some of the same analysis could apply to indigenous peoples in the Americas, and various groups in Asia as well.

There are two sides to the whole issue. Singapore’s first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, said that before the British arrived, “there was no organised human society in Singapore."

Singaporeans have thrived since independence. Almost all Africans nations have gone backwards.

Have you any comment on the opinion of Abdul Ambali on why Africa is backward? :

"Why Africa is Backward

The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof. Abdul Ganiyu Ambali

According to the Vice-Chancellor, ignorance is the root cause of the various challenges confronting Africa. “Other problems like poor leadership, corruption, unemployment, diseases and violence derive from that root,” he said, adding that “with more functional education, which is the foundation of development, we shall overcome the challenges”.

There are two sides to the whole issue. Singapore’s first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, said that before the British arrived, “there was no organised human society in Singapore."

Singaporeans have thrived since independence. Almost all Africans nations have gone backwards.

Have you any comment on the opinion of Abdul Ambali on why Africa is backward? :

"Why Africa is Backward

The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof. Abdul Ganiyu Ambali

According to the Vice-Chancellor, ignorance is the root cause of the various challenges confronting Africa. “Other problems like poor leadership, corruption, unemployment, diseases and violence derive from that root,” he said, adding that “with more functional education, which is the foundation of development, we shall overcome the challenges”.
The items he listed, no doubt defensible, do not describe a culture.

The items he listed, no doubt defensible, do not describe a culture.

Describing African culture was not his purpose. But the corruption that is rampant in Africa, nepotism, tribalism etc can all be argued to have their root in cultural issues.

Describing African culture was not his purpose. But the corruption that is rampant in Africa, nepotism, tribalism etc can all be argued to have their root in cultural issues.
Again, what are those issues, and how do they measure up against the other factors that have been mentioned? In work I did in Latin America, I encountered a certain fatalism that had people not believing that they could determine their fate. When some of them decided to the contrary, and organized, challenged corrupt structures, etc., they were beaten down. The beat-downs came not only from their domestic masters, but also from more developed countries like the US which wanted control of resources, using communism as an excuse.

Again, what are those issues, and how do they measure up against the other factors that have been mentioned? In work I did in Latin America, I encountered a certain fatalism that had people not believing that they could determine their fate. When some of them decided to the contrary, and organized, challenged corrupt structures, etc., they were beaten down. The beat-downs came not only from their domestic masters, but also from more developed countries like the US which wanted control of resources, using communism as an excuse.

I would be interested to know how you feel the US and others "beat down" people in Latin American nations because they wanted control of their resources.

Any comment on what Julius Kwasi has written? :

Why Most African Countries are Poor

Department of Social Science, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, University in Kumasi, Ghana

'Behind some of the more outer causes of poverty in most African countries, lies in culture; the beliefs, ideologies and values that many Africans hold.

For example, many Africans think an easy going lifestyle or live now and don’t make any plans for the future and they see it as the best way to live. While this may have some advantages, this stands often in the way of development and taking responsibility.

Most notorious slum in these poor countries in Africa, many of slum inhabitants have mobile phones, despite the abject poverty there. Another striking fact is that many of these African citizens who are well off (very small wealthy class) do little to nothing to help their country forward.

While they may help their own family and tribe through favouritism or even outright corruption, there is very little feeling of responsibility for the country and the whole population"

Last edited:
I would be interested to know how you feel the US and others "beat down" people in Latin American nations because they wanted control of their resources.

Because that’s literally what happened. Guatemala and Operation PBSUCCESS being case in point.

Because that’s literally what happened. Guatemala and Operation PBSUCCESS being case in point.

And you think that was all about resources? Lol!

A lot more about American fear of Communism, most intelligent people say.

And you think that was all about resources? Lol!

A lot more about American fear of Communism, most intelligent people say.

Oh, hysterical fearmongering about imaginary “communist plots” played its role in the US sponsoring tyrants across the region.....but in many cases it was for sheer profit.

The prime example might be Guatemala. They elected a president in what was considered a fair vote. The United Fruit Company lost a decision in the Guatemalan courts regarding, I believe, the non-use of land they owned or controled. Apparently, the law allowed the land to be distributed by the gopovernment in such cases. I am somewhat unclear on those facts, but what followed was very clear. Allen Dulles was head of the CIA. John Foster Dulles was Sec of State. One or the other of them also represented United Fruit or had close ties to the company. The US over threw the elected government, flying in the new chosen president on a US Embassy plane. The US seal is shown prominently in the open door of the arriving aircraft. Land reform ended. There followed decades of government by death squad, with 1-200k people murdered in the most horrible of ways. I visited Guatemala 2-3 times and knew an Anerican priest who had to leave the country because he was threatened by depth squads. Carter cut off military aid due to human rights violations. Sadly, Israel then sold them arms. The military had Uzis and Galil's. When Reagan came in he changed things, and restored support. He praised Efrain Rios Montt, who when democracy returned, was convicted of mass murder. He had been killing every living thing in some villages, but said he would accept execution for his crimes so long as Reagan was put up against the wall next to him, as the latter supported him. During Reagan's time, 1% of Guatemalans asking for asylum got it. Things got better under the first Bush.

In Nicaragua, FDR said to its corrupt president Somoza, "he's a son of a bitch, but he's OUR so of a bitch."

US was also involved intervening in the Dominican Republic, Chile, Panama to break it away from Colombia in order to build a canal, Grenada and El Salvador. In Cuba, the Platt Amendment allowed the US to intervene any time it wanted, I believe. I worked with a Cuban exile in 1960-61 as a teen. He told me "I hate Castro, but the US got what it deserved in Cuba." See Godfather II. It was our whore house.

Any comment on what Julius Kwasi has written? :

Why Most African Countries are Poor

Department of Social Science, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, University in Kumasi, Ghana

'Behind some of the more outer causes of poverty in most African countries, lies in culture; the beliefs, ideologies and values that many Africans hold.

For example, many Africans think an easy going lifestyle or live now and don’t make any plans for the future and they see it as the best way to live. While this may have some advantages, this stands often in the way of development and taking responsibility.

Most notorious slum in these poor countries in Africa, many of slum inhabitants have mobile phones, despite the abject poverty there. Another striking fact is that many of these African citizens who are well off (very small wealthy class) do little to nothing to help their country forward.

While they may help their own family and tribe through favouritism or even outright corruption, there is very little feeling of responsibility for the country and the whole population"
Sounds like many Thirld World countries where a small group of elites control resources while the rest of the country goes hungry. The US has often talked and even acted a good game in opposition to this sort of thing, but especially during the Cold War, our anti-communism often trumped our pro-democracy tendencies. In my view, our approach resembled that of the Catholic Church during the Inquisition: heresy (communism) led to eternal damnation, therefore anything done to fight it was ok, an evil, but a lesser one. People joked that if your torturer was left-handed it was worse than a right-handed torturer. Or that mini-Hitler's were prefereable to anyone like Castro. This theory was advanced by Jeanne Kirkpatrick, who became Reagan's ambassador to the UN. It's why the US disregarded treaties and attacked Nicaragua during Reagan's time.

The prime example might be Guatemala.

Interesting points.

The US certainly opposed Communism almost everywhere they found it, possibly excessively but those were the days before the USSR disintegrated and China was heavily involved in supporting "terrorism" or any anti-capitalist regime. Communism was a far bigger threat to world peace than it is today....at least in the case of Russia, whose economic potential has deteriorated in recent decades even with their plentiful oil and gas.

In Africa where I used to live, the South African, Mozambican, Rhodesian, Angolan freedom movements were all heavily supported by the Communists but have since mostly rejected Communist politics and are mostly democratic.

I was taught by American teachers (American Field Service workers) in Malawi. They were good people.

I never saw the Western powers in Africa as trying to "beat down" the locals. Sure they wanted to make a profit out of their dealings with them, but it was the same vice versa. Many people who live outside of Africa seem to think that Africans are always victims of greedy Westerners. Let me tell you that Africans drive a hard bargain when it comes to business. They are no pushovers. It's really difficult to "take advantage" of them.

What infuriates me in Africa is the way corrupt leaders are taking advantage of their own people. Ordinary Africans are usually quite subservient to anyone with power or wealth. Subservience is a part of African culture, especially the Bantu people like the Zulus, Xhosa, Ndebele etc. It's a part of their traditional culture to respect elders/leaders. This is changing quite quickly in parts of Africa but not quickly enough in my opinion.

As Julius Kwase says : "many Africans think an easy going lifestyle or live now and don’t make any plans for the future and they see it as the best way to live".........this is very true. Many Africans prefer an easy going lifestyle. It's just the way they prefer to live their lives.

Many apologists for poor behaviour by Africans and African American do blame whites.

Africans and intelligent African Americans take a different view :

Obama : OK, we didn’t get a good deal then, but let’s make sure that we’re not making excuses for not going forward,

"Barack Obama has told African leaders to stop “making excuses” for ongoing economic problems in their countries, and to look for solutions within rather than blaming the past."

Kofi Anan : "Stop Blaming Colonialism

Dr Chikezie Uzuegbunam​

Chikezie Uzuegbunam holds a PhD in Media Studies from the University of Cape Town, South Africa.

"Colonialism, apartheid and Western imperialists are often blamed in Africa for self-inflicted problems, to cover up governing leaders and elites’ self-enrichment, incompetence and corruption."

Last edited:
You wish.

You can't provide any intelligent "on topic" response

It's already been explained to you numerous times why Africa has the problems it does, but instead of accepting that you've invented this "cultural problem" that you can't actually explain at all.

Back
Top Bottom