• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:508]Why is Africa the most backward continent in the world? Is African culture to blame?

I figured it was about time for you to start bitching about white people again, thus your peculiar analysis
concerning whose to blame over the tragic failure of Zimbabwe since Mugabe took over. Almost as soon as Mugabe was
at the helm a campaign of terror was waged against the Ndebele people in Matabeleland in western Zimbabwe where more
than 30,000 black civilians of different tribal allegiance were killed by Robert Mugabe’s feared Fifth Brigade.

Joshua Nkomo, represented the main obstacle. Zapu enjoyed overwhelming support among the Ndebele and was seen as
an impediment by the leadership of Zanu-PF. In the words of Mugabe, the people of Matabeleland needed to be “re-educated.
Documents appear to provide evidence that the massacres were but one component of a sustained and strategic effort to remove
all political opposition within five years of independence. Zanu-PF leaders were determined to secure a “victory” against a non-existent
opposition in elections scheduled for 1985, after which there would be a “mandate” from the people to impose a one-party state.

The western response to violence against Mugabe's black countrymen in the 1980s was a pale shadow of the reaction to attacks
on white farmers in 2000. Many Ndebele remain bitter about this inconsistency. On the day of Mugabe's inauguration as president on 28 June 2008, several white farmers who had protested the seizure of their land were beaten and burned by Robert Mugabe's supporters.

I realize Mugabe is tops with you but is he more worthy of your praise than
the Algerian Arab leader President Houari Boumediene.
Afterall Boumediene was the prophet of the demise of whiteness:

'One day, millions of men will leave the Southern Hemisphere to
go to the Northern Hemisphere. And they will not go there as friends. Because
they will go there to conquer it. And they will conquer it with their sons.
The wombs of our women will give us victory.'

It’s hardly a surprise a Confederate fanboy would be whining over the destruction of another vile white supremacist regime.

A campaign of terror was waged against Rhodesia’s non-white populace practically from the minute Smith took power and continued right up until the regime finally collapsed.

Even educated Africans believe in the tikolosh (I am sorry to say that I do not know how to spell it). This is an invisible little African boogie man capable of taking over men’s bodies and doing great evil.

Joshua Nkomo, represented the main obstacle. Zapu enjoyed overwhelming support among the Ndebele and was seen as
an impediment by the leadership of Zanu-PF. In the words of Mugabe, the people of Matabeleland needed to be “re-educated.
Documents appear to provide evidence that the massacres were but one component of a sustained and strategic effort to remove
all political opposition within five years of independence. Zanu-PF leaders were determined to secure a “victory” against a non-existent
opposition in elections scheduled for 1985, after which there would be a “mandate” from the people to impose a one-party state.

I'm finding this interesting. My elder half-brother and half-sister are Ndebele and neither of them have ever heard of the "tikolosh". Nobody I ever met when I lived in Zambia / Malawi/ Kenya / Seychelles / Mozambique / Swaziland ever talked about such rubbish. I even went back to work in Nigeria between 1992 and 1995 - nobody there ever mentioned any such thing or word.

Anyhow, none of my family are ever going back to Zimbabwe for the reasons you set out in your latter post regarding Mugabe and his henchman "the Crocodile" but I am curious what angles you are taking in this discussion.

Carry on but just know that I'll point out any and all lies and half-truths you post.

I figured it was about time for you to start bitching about white people again, thus your peculiar analysis
concerning whose to blame over the tragic failure of Zimbabwe since Mugabe took over. Almost as soon as Mugabe was
at the helm a campaign of terror was waged against the Ndebele people in Matabeleland in western Zimbabwe where more
than 30,000 black civilians of different tribal allegiance were killed by Robert Mugabe’s feared Fifth Brigade.

The western response to violence against Mugabe's black countrymen in the 1980s was a pale shadow of the reaction to attacks
on white farmers in 2000. Many Ndebele remain bitter about this inconsistency. On the day of Mugabe's inauguration as president on 28 June 2008, several white farmers who had protested the seizure of their land were beaten and burned by Robert Mugabe's supporters.

I realize Mugabe is tops with you but is he more worthy of your praise than
the Algerian Arab leader President Houari Boumediene.
Afterall Boumediene was the prophet of the demise of whiteness:

'One day, millions of men will leave the Southern Hemisphere to
go to the Northern Hemisphere. And they will not go there as friends. Because
they will go there to conquer it. And they will conquer it with their sons.
The wombs of our women will give us victory.'
You cry too much.

The OP here seems to be ridiculous, blaming the various cultures in a continent the size o Africa for somehow collectively at fault for alleged backwardness. (Egypt is in Africa, yet gave us the pyramids.) Is faulty, deranged European culture responsible for the idiocy of WWI, genocide and the breaking of treaties involving Native Americans in the US, Stalin’s murder of millions, Germany’s genocide of Jews, etc?

I'm finding this interesting. My elder half-brother and half-sister are Ndebele and neither of them have ever heard of the "tikolosh". Nobody I ever met when I lived in Zambia / Malawi/ Kenya / Seychelles / Mozambique / Swaziland ever talked about such rubbish. I even went back to work in Nigeria between 1992 and 1995 - nobody there ever mentioned any such thing or word.

Anyhow, none of my family are ever going back to Zimbabwe for the reasons you set out in your latter post regarding Mugabe and his henchman "the Crocodile" but I am curious what angles you are taking in this discussion.

Carry on but just know that I'll point out any and all lies and half-truths you post.
All those 'lies and half-truths' were from an essay written in 1973 - 50 years ago - another one
“Help me haul wood”, said Albert Schweizer. “I do not haul wood. I am in intellectual.” “You are very lucky. I tried to be an intellectual, but did not succeed.”

Requiem for Rhodesia
by Carlos Whitlock Porter
In re-reading this brilliant essay one should be reminded that the author was only 26 years old at the time and had not been brought up in Africa. Considering that, it is truly remarkable that he could have been so unfashionably 'illiberal' and so insightful into the African psyche.

One reviewer of 'Requiem for Rhodesia' no doubt revealed your point of view
'Incredibly Racist and Xenophobic take on the History of Rhodesia.'

All those 'lies and half-truths' were from an essay written in 1973 - 50 years ago - another one
“Help me haul wood”, said Albert Schweizer. “I do not haul wood. I am in intellectual.” “You are very lucky. I tried to be an intellectual, but did not succeed.”

Requiem for Rhodesia
by Carlos Whitlock Porter
In re-reading this brilliant essay one should be reminded that the author was only 26 years old at the time and had not been brought up in Africa. Considering that, it is truly remarkable that he could have been so unfashionably 'illiberal' and so insightful into the African psyche.

Now - a reviewer of 'Requiem for Rhodesia' no doubt revealed your point of view
'Incredibly Racist and Xenophobic take on the History of Rhodesia.'

Gee, judging by the paragraphs you provided “brilliant” is the last thing that essay is 😂

Gee, judging by the paragraphs you provided “brilliant” is the last thing that essay is 😂
And here I thought referring to South Africa & Zimbabwe you realized that you were like a dying ant grasping on to a straw & knowing that
you couldn't defend undefendable positions you'd bow out but here you are back again. As for Zimbabwe, the foreign exchange rate of the Zimbabwean Dollars to one US Dollar in 1983 it was 1 to 1. In November 2008 it was 669,000,000,000 to 1 or 669 Billion to 1.

The blacks were given a viable stable currency & healthy economy. The first Zimbabwean dollar was introduced in 1980
and replaced the Rhodesian dollar at par. At the time of its introduction, the Zimbabwean dollar was worth more than the US dollar
in the official exchange market. Over time, hyperinflation in Zimbabwe
reduced the Zimbabwe dollar to the lowest valued currency units in the world.

This on top of Mugabe killing 30,000 fellow blacks who just happened to belong to an opposing tribe

I must note your posts championing Mugabe without question are feeble, flawed & frail & that's being charitable.
I hate to pile on as I see other posters are giving you a sound beating without my help!

And here I thought referring to South Africa & Zimbabwe you realized that you were like a dying ant grasping on to a straw & knowing that
you couldn't defend undefendable positions you'd bow out but here you are back again. As for Zimbabwe, the foreign exchange rate of the Zimbabwean Dollars to one US Dollar in 1983 it was 1 to 1. In November 2008 it was 669,000,000,000 to 1 or 669 Billion to 1.

The blacks were given a viable stable currency & healthy economy. The first Zimbabwean dollar was introduced in 1980
and replaced the Rhodesian dollar at par. At the time of its introduction, the Zimbabwean dollar was worth more than the US dollar

This on top of Mugabe killing 30,000 fellow blacks who just happened to belong to an opposing tribe

I must note your posts championing Mugabe without question are feeble, flawed & frail & that's being charitable.
I hate to pile on as I see other posters are giving you a sound beating without my help!

What’s “feeble” is the endless whining of Confederate fanboys still triggered over the utter crushing of another of their favorite white supremacist regimes.

As usual, your posts demonstrate how comically ignorant you are.

Sounds like Germany’s 100 years ago.

So your point is that Black people are somehow inferior, exhibit A being Africa.

On set of reasons is discussed in books like Guns, Germs, and Steel and another involves works that look at colonialism, etc.

All those 'lies and half-truths' were from an essay written in 1973 - 50 years ago

My elder half-sister was born in Ndebeleland in 1948 and my elder half brother was born in 1959. My father adopted them both in 1964 so there was plenty of time for them to have come across any such stories.

They haven't.

Many ex colonies were left with relatively stable economies but how many were left with people trained and educated to run them? This wasn't like India (my father was part of the British Diplomatic Service in India during partition) where native Asians had been brought into govt service to take over after the colonists left.

"Rhodesia" was the same as many other African countries: Ian Smith's govt didn't allow blacks into the civil service or industry at any high enough level to learn and run things for themselves after Independence.
It was better than any ex-Portuguese colonies - the Portuguese shelled African towns and villages to enable conquest and when they left, they often destroyed the infrastructure they had built.

So, I can drive my daughter around for 10 years and then leave her my car key and tell her the car is hers. She has a pretty high chance of crashing the car if I haven't actually taught her how to drive or what the rules of the road are. Same thing with handing over an economy but on a bigger scale. I'm not defending Mugabe - yes, his people engaged in slaughtering my half-sibling's people after Zimbabwean Independence but his people also didn't have any background in running an economy.

It's already been explained to you numerous times and backed up with quotes from Obama, Kofi Anan, Chikezie Uzuegbunam and others that your favourite "whipping boy", those evil white people, are not the problem as to why Africa is so backward today.
Why are states like West Virginia so much more backward than the rest of the country?

Back
Top Bottom