• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:4,590] Study Finds Face Masks Didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19

I have been saying this for over a year. Plenty of examples here at DP

Mask don’t work

——-

Study Finds Face Masks Didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19​

The first ecological study of state mask mandates and their use to include data from the winter case spike has found that widespread mask-wearing likely didn’t slow the spread of COVID-19.

The study, conducted by the University of Louisville using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that “80% of US states mandated masks during the COVID-19 pandemic,” but while “mandates induced greater mask compliance, [they] did not predict lower growth rates when community spread was low (minima) or high (maxima).” The study also found that “mask mandates and use are not associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 spread among US states.”

I do remember some numbers I saw last year from a study. In general masks are for bacteria. N95 respirator masks are 85% effective for viruses. I have only seen one worn in public. N95 and KN95 masks are about 25% effective. Paper and cloth masks are around 5% effective. Bandanas are good for conducting a stick up. I was in the hospital last week wearing a KN95 mask. They took it away from me and gave me one of their paper masks. It seems the medical community is last in line to keep up with the science.

When you cough it prevents your aerosols and spit from going everywhere.
I'll argue that it doesn't. Yes they don't seal against your face. It just splatters all around like it normally would. That just goes out of the side and the bottom of the top instead of directly in front of you.

I said this already in this thread but when you see people working in a viral lab they're not wearing masks because they don't do anything they're wearing him medically sealed suits.
That's how it works. For the first time in my life I haven't had the flu and I'd say it's likely due to mask use and extra precautions. I didn't get the flu shot in the past few years either. I have gotten the Covid vax x2 plus both boosters
This is how superstitions are formed. There is a huge number of variables for why you didn't get flu. You picking the mask as the variable. It seems to be a cultural reason.

I remember back when this mask on since was that full hysteria. There were people that would make a stink about wearing them and people that would make a stink about not wearing them and it was just kind of this tit for tat and these groups that thought they were right and they were making us stand of some sort so it became a tribalism thing.

Perhaps you're superstition about the mask is based on your political philosophy. I can't possibly be based on science because the only science we have is correlation.

I do remember some numbers I saw last year from a study. In general masks are for bacteria. N95 respirator masks are 85% effective for viruses. I have only seen one worn in public. N95 and KN95 masks are about 25% effective. Paper and cloth masks are around 5% effective. Bandanas are good for conducting a stick up. I was in the hospital last week wearing a KN95 mask. They took it away from me and gave me one of their paper masks. It seems the medical community is last in line to keep up with the science.
It seems entirely controlled and regulated by HR personnel.

That establishes correlation.

Higher ice cream sales does not cause more shark attacks.
1. Correlation can be extremely powerful if you control for intervening variables. As they do with this study
2. Several of the studies DID NOT.. use correlation.

your projector I'm embarrassing you.

well you see we live in a dynamic reality where a person doesn't stand in the same spot for their entire life.

In fact a person can exhale and if I'm beside them or behind them or walking 10 feet behind them I'll walk through their exhale within a second or two if I'm slowly strolling.
Thats right. and if they project their breath for 2 feet because you have a mask on.. that means the aerosols and droplets begin falling to the ground while you walk that 10 feet. And since 1. There are fewer droplets and aerosols because a portion of them are caught by the mask. and 2. There is a much smaller "cone", of droplets and breath.. there will less for you to walk through as well as they droplets begin to fall immediately.
Thus you have less of a chance of getting enough virus to overwhelm your immune system and getting infected.

OR if that person is NOT masked then 1. There is a much larger volume of infected droplets and aerosols to walk through and overwhelm your immune system causing infection. 2. The projected cone is much largerc creating a much longer time and greater volume of droplets and aerosols to infect you. Increasing the chance of getting enough virus to overwhelm your immune system and getting an infection.

This is pretty self explanatory.

It would be like I was standing uncomfortably close to them there's not this magical proximity since her that the virus has.
I don;t speak gibberish.

1. Correlation can be extremely powerful if you control for intervening variables. As they do with this study
2. Several of the studies DID NOT.. use correlation.
Yes they are correlation studies you don't understand basic science.

Mistaken correlation for causation is a logical fallacy it doesn't fallow.

It's how superstitions are created

Yes they are correlation studies you don't understand basic science.

Mistaken correlation for causation is a logical fallacy it doesn't fallow.

It's how superstitions are created

No not all of them were correlation. Cripes.. you didn;t even read them.

However.. if correlation is of NO value according to scientific thought. And its just "superstition"... why are correlation statistics so widely used IN SCIENCE?
LMAO......

No not all of them were correlation. Cripes.. you didn;t even read them.
I don't have to they didn't control the variables they just surveyed people that only gives you correlation I'm sorry you don't understand science.
However.. if correlation is of NO value according to scientific thought.

And its just "superstition"... why are correlation statistics so widely used IN SCIENCE?
LMAO......
there isn't a problem with the science. The problem is with your conclusion. You have concluded because two things are correlated that one must cause the other. You are saying shark attacks are caused by ice cream because the two things correlate.

That is not science that is your superstition because you really want your mask some sort of magical barrier. Just like stoneage people really wanted to be able to think that getting on their knees and wailing caused rain to fall and they came to the conclusion the exact same way you did. You did a thing and many variables happened but you don't care about them because only one holds any political currency so you forget about them and pretend it's the one that you care about.

Maybe you need the virtue signal, maybe you need an excuse as to why you're such a subordinate. I can't begin to guess at your reasoning but it isn't based on science not in the least you don't even know why correlation does not equal causation and that's so incredibly basic we just call it logic.

Its called physics and medicine.

You are funny.
No it isn't. Would you are engaging in is superstition.

Out of all of the variables that you are ignoring that could be the reason why someone didn't get infected with a virus you only pick one because it has political and tribalistic currency.

When people started taking off The masks they weren't worried they might get the virus they were worried people might think they were Republicans that tells you what they did and it wasn't to protect anybody from the virus it was too signal virtue and give people warm and fuzzies.

I have been saying this for over a year. Plenty of examples here at DP

Mask don’t work

——-

Study Finds Face Masks Didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19​

The first ecological study of state mask mandates and their use to include data from the winter case spike has found that widespread mask-wearing likely didn’t slow the spread of COVID-19.

The study, conducted by the University of Louisville using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that “80% of US states mandated masks during the COVID-19 pandemic,” but while “mandates induced greater mask compliance, [they] did not predict lower growth rates when community spread was low (minima) or high (maxima).” The study also found that “mask mandates and use are not associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 spread among US states.”

With studies you get the results you want that you pay for. Can not trust studies. The person paying for the study is going to get the results they want.

With studies you get the results you want that you pay for. Can not trust studies. The person paying for the study is going to get the results they want.
Well there's a certain amount of P-hacking going on with regard to those positions on this debate.

The science showing correlation to spread of the disease versus wearing the mask it's only correlation you can't determine causation without eliminating all variables but wearing the mask and the reason why this is hard to come by it's because you have to purposefully infect people with a virus that could be dangerous so there is ethical reasons for why we can't get a conclusive result.

My approach to masks has always been this if it makes you feel better wear it if it makes you feel better if I wear one jump in the lake. If I am do care about feelings I collect a salary for that

Whether they work or don't work not sure we'll ever be known.

Well there's a certain amount of P-hacking going on with regard to those positions on this debate.

The science showing correlation to spread of the disease versus wearing the mask it's only correlation you can't determine causation without eliminating all variables but wearing the mask and the reason why this is hard to come by it's because you have to purposefully infect people with a virus that could be dangerous so there is ethical reasons for why we can't get a conclusive result.

My approach to masks has always been this if it makes you feel better wear it if it makes you feel better if I wear one jump in the lake. If I am do care about feelings I collect a salary for that

Maybe a mask will protect others if the person with covid wears a mask to block the spray coming from them.

I guess that if a person has covid they should not change their routine and keep doing like you do not have covid because the only people that have to worry is the ones that do get vaccinated and that is their problem.

I guess that if a person has covid they should not change their routine and keep doing like you do not have covid because the only people that have to worry is the ones that do get vaccinated and that is their problem.
Yeah people need to quit being Karen's you don't get to control anyone else.

And if you try they should defy you.

Back
Top Bottom