• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#356]Students lose access to books amid ‘state-sponsored purging of ideas’

One could easily turn that argument around - if parents don't like that there is LGTQ literature in their kid's school libraries, they can make the choice to ban that material in the privacy of their own homes and forbid their children to read it. Or, as you say, they can remove their children from the school entirely and place them in one more in line with their political/religious beliefs. That's called parenting - it doesn't affect other families, and (most important) it doesn't involve the State (and trust me, no public school is run without influence from the State) serving as those parents' enforcers/enablers.

I would prefer the consensus be that schools do NOT censor materials in their libraries, and that parents govern their own children and no one else's.

Anecdote: Ten years or so ago my daughter was in a high school that had a group of parents demanding Mark Twain's works be removed from the library. They argued, among other things, that having books using the N word were hurtful to their children. While I wasn't entirely unsympathetic to their argument I was utterly against any move to ban or censor the books, not only because it took the role of parenting out of the hands of the parents and into to the State funded and governed school, but because it set a dangerous precedent.
I am of a different opinion. I believe that schools certainly can censor materials. Nobody is under any legal or even moral obligation to represent all views. For example, if a school wants to teach evolution, and they don't want creationism material, then that's certainly their right.

I am of a different opinion. I believe that schools certainly can censor materials. Nobody is under any legal or even moral obligation to represent all views. For example, if a school wants to teach evolution, and they don't want creationism material, then that's certainly their right.
Always appreciate a civil discussion, particularly when we don't agree. Thank you.

Of course parents are censoring material in their home when it concerns their children. That's part of what parenting is about, and that's why it can be used without "negative spin."

Now, parents relying on the State to take up that aspect of parenting for them, and subsequently banning books from others whose parents may be fine with it? Yeah, that's dodgy. Rather that giving the State that power I would suggest parents take their role seriously, and make it clear to their kids that certain materials are banned in their family.

And keep the State from taking that responsibility from other families.
Several of the schools mentioned in the OP article didn’t BAN anything. They merely required parental permission slips to access some material and categorized others by age.

That’s a FAR cry from “censoring” and also completely aligns with what you are suggesting of “make it clear that certain materials are banned in their family”.

Several of the schools mentioned in the OP article didn’t BAN anything. They merely required parental permission slips to access some material and categorized others by age.

That’s a FAR cry from “censoring” and also completely aligns with what you are suggesting of “make it clear that certain materials are banned in their family”.
If that is the case then I am more comfortable with it.

😂

Unless they are minorities, not Christians, LGBT, to the left of Pinochet... then you happily want their rights stripped away ;)

Nobody’s fooled bud.
Blacks don't need your housing projects and faux sensitivity, racist. ;)

Go peddle your bullshit someplace else.

Coming from the guy who spewed the whopper of “leftists support ISIS”, it’s no surprise you’ve been reduced to making bullshit up to fuel your victim complex ;)
Leftists do support Isis. They also support Palestine's efforts to wipe Israel off the map.

Oh, and they do love themselves a good dose of Antifa and BLM rioting as well. ;)

Leftists do support Isis. They also support Palestine's efforts to wipe Israel off the map.

Oh, and they do love themselves a good dose of Antifa and BLM rioting as well. ;)

No, “the left” don’t support ISIS. Claiming that they do— without the slightest shred of evidence— is pathetic.

Israel has nuclear weapons. Claiming it could be “wiped off the map” at all is insipid fearmongering.

Blacks don't need your housing projects and faux sensitivity, racist. ;)

Go peddle your bullshit someplace else.

You just looooove hurling around those hysterical accusations, don’t you Senator McCarthy

And....haven't we heard for YEARS how schools want parental involvement? And how parental involvement is VITAL to student success in school? How many teachers, etc. have complained that parents "don't pay attention" to their children's schooling and aren't involved?

Now...parents paying attention is a bad thing? Parents signing a permission slip for kids to read is a BAD thing? Parents having input into whether they think a material is age appropriate for THEIR child is a bad thing?

Why is that?
This is more political and anything else.

You just looooove hurling around those hysterical accusations, don’t you Senator McCarthy
Nobody likes race based perpetual poverty and destruction, Tigerace. At least nobody outside of the democrat party. ;)

No, “the left” don’t support ISIS. Claiming that they do— without the slightest shred of evidence— is pathetic.

Israel has nuclear weapons. Claiming it could be “wiped off the map” at all is insipid fearmongering.
Publicly they don't because even democrats understand how damaging to their cause that would be, but privately? Yes. That is very much the case.

Of course, we know this because there are clear indicators; such as the Left's support of Islam in general. The left's hardline stance with Palestine; their posturing against conservatives when we trash the mullahs and their terror inducing sharia bullshit.

See, you take Islamic terrorists and put them with the Antifa/BLM rioters and it's like looking at identical twins. lol

Publicly they don't because even democrats understand how damaging to their cause that would be, but privately? Yes. That is very much the case.

Of course, we know this because there are clear indicators; such as the Left's support of Islam in general. The left's hardline stance with Palestine; their posturing against conservatives when we trash the mullahs and their terror inducing sharia bullshit.

See, you take Islamic terrorists and put them with the Antifa/BLM rioters and it's like looking at identical twins. lol

They don’t because the only people who think “leftists support ISIS” are deluded far right conspiracy theorists living in their own fantasy world.

I hate to break it to you but nobody in America has any obligation to support Israel’s settler colonialism, and crying that not indulging in the right’s fanatical bigotry against Muslims means you “support ISIS” is ludicrous.

Your fairy tales are pathetic bud.

Nobody likes race based perpetual poverty and destruction, Tigerace. At least nobody outside of the democrat party. ;)

On the contrary bud, conservatives love when minorities are trapped in “race based perpetual poverty and destruction”. That’s why you lot wet yourselves and shriek about communism all the time.

They don’t because the only people who think “leftists support ISIS” are deluded far right conspiracy theorists living in their own fantasy world.

I hate to break it to you but nobody in America has any obligation to support Israel’s settler colonialism, and crying that not indulging in the right’s fanatical bigotry against Muslims means you “support ISIS” is ludicrous.

Your fairy tales are pathetic bud.
They don't because of what I just said. Would you like to know how I know that? Because you can't speak to the indicators. ;)

The Left and Islam are one and the same; they're bedfellows. ;)

On the contrary bud, conservatives love when minorities are trapped in “race based perpetual poverty and destruction”. That’s why you lot wet yourselves and shriek about communism all the time.
In your dreams, pal. We're not the ones grooming the poor for votes. Without perpetual poverty and welfare, the democrats shrivel up and die. ;)

In your dreams, pal. We're not the ones grooming the poor for votes. Without perpetual poverty and welfare, the democrats shrivel up and die. ;)

Of course you are. Yall just voted against lowering their prescription costs. Punishing them for getting abortions.

Of course you are. Yall just voted against lowering their prescription costs. Punishing them for getting abortions.
They punished themselves for slaughtering innocent lives, There are consequences for shitty conduct, and thank God the normal states are able to start addressing those wrong behaviors.

Yet ISIS and Republican ideology have so much in common. Anti-gay, anti-women's rights. It's kind of hard to ignore.

They punished themselves for slaughtering innocent lives, There are consequences for shitty conduct, and thank God the normal states are able to start addressing those wrong behaviors.

These policies still hurt them, despite your subjective view. And you're all for it.

Middle class women will still be able to get abortions. It's mostly just part of your war on the poor.

Gee, instead your screaming at them that minorities are their misfortune, emulating your idol Adolf ;)

They don't because of what I just said. Would you like to know how I know that? Because you can't speak to the indicators. ;)

The Left and Islam are one and the same; they're bedfellows. ;)

They don’t because what you just said is laughably wrong on every level. You “know” that because you are living in a delusional
fairy tale world.

But way to remind us of your raving bigotry ;)

It shouldn't be done by craven politicians. That's the road to authoritarianism.

Make no mistake people. The fall of or moral society is the work of evil I.e., Satan. Choose your sides carefully because this is indeed a battle between good and evil.

Back
Top Bottom