• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#210]Americans Prefer Trump Over Biden On Presidential Ballot In 2024: I&I/TIPP Poll

OK. It’s still thankfully a democracy, and people deserve to get what they want.

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
-HL Mencken

Let’s just hope that it’s still a democracy by the time Trump and his supporters are done with it. Somehow I am skeptical if Trump gets another whack at that piñata.

Personally, I don't think he will get another whack, nor do I think he really wants to.
Of course, I could be wrong about that.

And there are multiple people who have posted to the thread, (Chomsky and Overitall for starters), who are in disagreement with you.
I think the reputation of TIPP pollsters speaks for itself. They are considered sterling as pollsters. You, of course, are at liberty to disagree.
In which post did @Chomsky disagree with the facts I pointed out to you?

Hey, don't beat on my guy Mayor Pete! He's my guy! (y)

I don't think he's as 'unelectable' as some would like to make him out to be.

In fact, besides Dems I think he might do well with Indies as well.

Mayor Pete or Fetterman are my choices....but this is not their time.

He seems perfectly qualified to run for potus. T/Y

The leftist echo chamber and their rumor mills... Remember it was they who also said Trump would be in prison by his second year in office.

Unfortunately, 'Yes'.

I don't like the guy's politics, but I'll be damned if he isn't qualified and accomplished!

Straight-up, I don't know why the Trump crowd would waste any more time on Trump, when they've got DeSantis?

I will tell you this:

I've had smart anti-Trumpers tell me they fear a DeSantis Presidency more than another Trump Presidency. DeSantis is way smarter than Trump, way more educated, way more knowledgeable, and would be far better legislating and tasking than Trump. I agree with them. I have no doubt.

I believe DeSantis will, by far, implement implement more MAGA policy in four years than Trump could in 4 decades!

Last edited:
Admittedly, I'm not surprised. I would think Pence has a lot of support. He's a proven honest and fair guy and totally capable of running the country.
I think within the Republican polling alone he has a decent amount of support, but I doubt he could win a national election at this time. Ted Cruz has a decent amount of support within the Republican party, but I doubt he could win a national election either.

Tomorrow, we go to the polls for the Republican primary to choose our candidate for the U.S. Senate race. There are several candidates running. The Ohio Republican Party on their slate card are supporting a guy named Dolan. Ted Cruz came out in support for Mandel. Rand Paul came out in support for Gibbons. The senator Rob Portman who is retiring put his support behind Timken to replace him. Donald Trump supported JD Vance. Now JD Vance was not a supporter of Trump in 2016 and was very vocal that he could not vote for him. But then the last 3 years he has been very voiceful in saying he was really wrong about Trump. Vance was in between third and forth place but as soon as Trump endorsed him he surged ahead into first. Now everyone of these candidates claim they are a Trump Republican or at least a supporter of his policies. Tomorrow night is going to be interesting to see who wins the primary.

I think within the Republican polling alone he has a decent amount of support, but I doubt he could win a national election at this time. Ted Cruz has a decent amount of support within the Republican party, but I doubt he could win a national election either.

Tomorrow, we go to the polls for the Republican primary to choose our candidate for the U.S. Senate race. There are several candidates running. The Ohio Republican Party on their slate card are supporting a guy named Dolan. Ted Cruz came out in support for Mandel. Rand Paul came out in support for Gibbons. The senator Rob Portman who is retiring put his support behind Timken to replace him. Donald Trump supported JD Vance. Now JD Vance was not a supporter of Trump in 2016 and was very vocal that he could not vote for him. But then the last 3 years he has been very voiceful in saying he was really wrong about Trump. Vance was in between third and forth place but as soon as Trump endorsed him he surged ahead into first. Now everyone of these candidates claim they are a Trump Republican or at least a supporter of his policies. Tomorrow night is going to be interesting to see who wins the primary.
I'm still in doubt about who. Can I just sit it out? :)

Wow, I'll say!!!

Mayor Pete or Fetterman are my choices....but this is not their time.

Why not?

I see Pete as a sort of JFK for the new millennium.

I think we're more than ready for him.

For better, or worse, the Party is just too 'Trumpian' for Pence & Cruz.

Pre-Trump, Pence and Cruz would be the prime runners, especially Pence IMHO.

But, those days are gone.

If I were a Republican that is MAGA friendly, I'd get behind DeSantis for all I'm worth. I believe he's the guy most likely to get to sit behind the Resolute desk. He's also probably the most qualified, despite my not caring for his politics. His CV is pretty amazing, to be honest.

I did. The contents of the article do not support it’s misleading title. Something that has been explained to you by multiple forum members.

In which post did @Chomsky disagree with the facts I pointed out to you?

It's clear that when you wrote the above in bold, (from the first quote), Chomsky was indirectly disagreeing with you.

Here's one where another poster said something similar to what you've opined above, and though his response wasn't for you, the sentiment behind his message could have been.

I'm going to side with Trix, here.

She presented the article with it's exact title, as chosen by the pollster themselves, and she included excerpts specifically claiming it was not a "head-to-head" matchup.

I believe she did all she could to present the article & poll accurately.

The article title might indeed be open to two interpretations, but it is the article title the polling organization themselves chose! To post an OP with any less accuracy, would misrepresent the pollster and their intentions!

In addition, 538 does indeed give this pollster it's very highest rating of 'A+'!

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what more could be done to more properly & accurately present this poll to DP?

Unfortunately, 'Yes'.

I don't like the guy's politics, but I'll be damned if he isn't qualified and accomplished!

Straight-up, I don't know why the Trump crowd would waste any more time on Trump, when they've got DeSantis?

I will tell you this:

I've had smart anti-Trumpers tell me they fear a DeSantis Presidency more than another Trump Presidency. DeSantis is way smarter than Trump, way more educated, way more knowledgeable, and would be far better legislating and tasking than Trump. I agree with them. I have no doubt.

I believe DeSantis will, by far, implement implement more MAGA policy in four years than Trump could in 4 decades!

He's qualified, truly conservative, and brilliant. I find no difference between DeSantis and Trump basic America first policy, but there is a big difference in their personal demeanor and personal character. I like DeSantis much better. He's a contender. JMHO as always. :)

For better, or worse, the Party is just too 'Trumpian' for Pence & Cruz.

Pre-Trump, Pence and Cruz would be the prime runners, especially Pence IMHO.

But, those days are gone.

If I were a Republican that is MAGA friendly, I'd get behind DeSantis for all I'm worth. I believe he's the guy most likely to get to sit behind the Resolute desk. He's also probably the most qualified, despite my not caring for his politics. His CV is pretty amazing, to be honest.
Hi Chomsky. If a Pence or Cruz ended up as the nominee, Clinton would have won in 2016. And I think the Republican voters understood that.

As far as DeSantis goes, i see him as the future of the Republican party.

Here’s another source

Ronald Dion DeSantis (born September 14, 1978) is an American politician and attorney serving as the 46th governor of Florida since 2019. Before assuming the governorship, DeSantis served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives for Florida's 6th district from 2013 to 2018. Born in Jacksonville, DeSantis spent most of his childhood in Dunedin, Florida. He graduated from Yale University and Harvard Law School. DeSantis joined the United States Navy in 2004, where he was promoted to lieutenant before serving as an advisor to SEAL Team One and being deployed to Iraq in 2007. When he returned to the U.S. a year later, the U.S. Department of Justice appointed DeSantis to serve as an assistant U.S. attorney at the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Middle District of Florida, a position he held until his honorable discharge in 2010. DeSantis was first elected to Congress in 2012, defeating his Democratic opponent Heather Beaven. During his tenure, he became a founding member of the Freedom Caucus and was a known ally of President Donald Trump. DeSantis frequently criticized Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. He briefly ran for U.S. Senate in 2016, but withdrew when incumbent senator Marco Rubio sought reelection.

He's got all nine yards, the whole enchilada. the entire package! Plus, he has a proven record of governing for the people of his state, especially parents. I would have thought he would have done better in the poll though. Disappointed a bit....

Last edited:
Hi Chomsky. If a Pence or Cruz ended up as the nominee, Clinton would have won in 2016. And I think the Republican voters understood that.

As far as DeSantis goes, i see him as the future of the Republican party.

I think the only one Clinton couldn't beat was Trump.
Another indicator as to why after it's all said and done, he still is considered a contender at least by what the O/P poll is currently telling us.

Yeah, even in a primary with many candidates, you might not get who you want. But when it gets down to just two (major party) nominees plus an irrelevant 3rd party candidate or two - you really might not have who you want as a choice. But the US certainly isn't alone in having to contend with limited choices in elections.

I'm pulling for DeSantis, but I'll admit there are things I don't like about him but who is the perfect, flawless candidate?
If anyone knows, please give me their name. ;)

It's clear that when you wrote the above in bold, (from the first quote), Chomsky was indirectly disagreeing with you.

Here's one where another poster said something similar to what you've opined above, and though his response wasn't for you, the sentiment behind his message could have been.

Chomsky defended your posting of a misleading article headline. He did not agree that the contents of the article supported the headline, which was the reason I criticized your thread.
The article title might indeed be open to two interpretations,
Chomsky was being generous, as is his good nature to be.

Chomsky defended your posting of a misleading article headline. He did not agree that the contents of the article supported the headline, which was the reason I criticized your thread.
You missed this part?
"She presented the article with it's exact title, as chosen by the pollster themselves, and she included excerpts specifically claiming it was not a "head-to-head" matchup.

I believe she did all she could to present the article & poll accurately"
Chomsky was being generous, as is his good nature to be.
Chomsky was being 100% truthful.

Back
Top Bottom