• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:171] AOC and ‘Squad’ Defund Israel’s Iron Dome Defence System from Democrats’ $1Bn Spending Bill

How many thousands of missiles has the USA funded to help protect our allies in Europe from 1954 to present?

The "squad" doesn't care to mention this?

AOC, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida Tlaib struck down the funding for Israel's defensive Iron Dome system -- and for what? Because it's a defensive system that saves lives from incoming missiles that would otherwise take lives.

How about Israel quit fleecing America out of billions in 'aid' every year? Israel is a wealthy nation and can easily afford to fund its own defence.

When Americans elect anti-Americans to office this is what we can expect. We shouldn't be surprised.
I doubt any of them have ever worn a MAGA hat, but have instead ridiculed the idea. They support the downward direction America is taking.
And that 'downward direction' began with the consummate moron, Trump, who in four short years managed to deeply damage America's international reputation, insulted and demeaned your long-standing allies, and made a laughing stock out of both America and himself.

Yeah, others on the left, how dare we prop up an ally - the only functional democracy in the area - who built a defense system because some terrorist organizations with broad popular support spent decades lobbing missiles, setting off bombs, and allying with other countries all with the goal of destroying Israel and killing the Jews? At any rate, this is in GP, which auto-gimps any proper response, all of which require an honest approach to the full history and not just one-sided "apartheid!" and "why do we support this one ally (when we don't ask this question of any other ally)" crap.

There are completely different wrongs on either side, but Iron Dome? What's the point of defunding Iron Dome, beyond "**** Israel"?

Yeah...whatever the answer is to trying to settle things, that isn't it. And any righties....don't you tell me I should vote for the GOP. A few of you on DP will have honest exchanges with me, but the rest only agree if they think something I've said against someone more on my "side" backs up something you said. The GOP's support for Israel is based on the assumption that I have some higher loyalty to Israel, and that by braying loudly in support of Israel you'll suck my vote away from Democrats or non-GOP third parties. That insults me perhaps a bit more, in the opposite direction.

At the end of the day, the actions of each party tend to be about the same. But if AOC and the others succeed in blocking that money, they can rot in hell.
Israel is wealthy enough not to need propping up. Use the four billion of your tax dollars which go to Israel every year for something useful-like building hospitals in your own country. Israel doesn't need US money, but is happily shafting you year after year.

Let Central American countries pay for it's own citizens repatriation from our border.

Let the homeless pay for their own trash cleanup.

Let the lazy unemployed layabouts pay for their bills.

Let criminals pay for their crimes.

Let the Portland rioters pay for damages.

The left know nothing of "paying their own way". They expect mommies and the gov't to cover their rent.
Israel is a wealthy nation quite capable of funding its own defences, and already has the most powerful and well-equipped military in the region. Criminals pay for their crimes with imprisonment and/or fines every day. Latin American nations are generally poor. Your argument fails.

Israel is our best alley in the region. Money we spend to help them provide their defense is money and men we don't have to spend later and in greater quantity.
Yeah, your "best ally" who steals your military secrets and sells them to China. Your "best ally" who spies on you. Israel is laughing at America-and Netanyahu called the US "easily manipulated". Some 'ally'...

Because the are anti-semetic that's why. They also hate America and I'm sure our allies as well. Mostly it's ant-semitism.

"hate" is the appropriate word. The "reform" won't stop until the declaration of the United Emirates of America. Such a nice ring to it" United Emirates of America.

AOC, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida Tlaib struck down the funding for Israel's defensive Iron Dome system -- and for what?

Surely it takes more than only three Representatives to defeat that funding!

Aren't you attributing too much power to those three nitwits?

This is a rare instance I agree with the “squad”.

So they can then spin it as Israel being evil.

Notta whole lotta "spin" needed in order for it to "appear" that way IMO.
All that's needed is an objective look at Israels atrocities and crimes against humanity.
Just look at all of their UN Security Council resolutions for instance.

Israel is a wealthy nation quite capable of funding its own defences, and already has the most powerful and well-equipped military in the region.
I agree.
Criminals pay for their crimes with imprisonment and/or fines every day.
Bull. Progressive DA's have all but declared that "quality of life" crimes wouldn't be prosecuted. That can mean almost anything short of child murder. Riots, looting, stealing Nike's....AOC sats "they jus' want bread ta'eat" . What a crock.
Latin American nations are generally poor.

And? Who cares? Everyone in the world is poor except for the rich.
Your argument fails.

Yeah? Well, that's like... your opinion, man.

It's a little more complicated than that. Her Serene Majesty and Muslima Ilan Omar is not trying to save the taxpayer a fistful of dollars. It is more the first step in the Jihad against Israel. If and when Her Serene Majesty overcomes that first obstacle, then the much obliging and unsophisticated Uncle Sam can be coaxed to take another gulp from the bitter chalice. It will be pointed out to our much obliging and unsophisticated Uncle Sam that the right thing to do would be to immediately fund an Iron Dome in Gaza Strip. To not do so would expose Uncle Sam to be nothing but a vile bigot; oozing Islamophobia at every pore. If any kids are hit in Gaza from Israeli rockets, Uncle Sam's failure to fund rockets in Gaza would have to bear responsibility. And I am sure a by now y thoroughly chastened Uncle Sam, cringing from shrieks of Islamophobia, is ready to came one more time.

I am not questioning AOC and Omar's intentions, and agree with the very political and spiteful nature of their move here.

But what I am doing is questioning why a relatively wealthy nation, all things considered, cannot pay for their own defense. Yes, that leads to plenty of other questions ranging from protecting other nations all the way up to foreign policy and entangling alliances.

Difficult conversation to have but the question stands, that no one will answer.

How many thousands of missiles has the USA funded to help protect our allies in Europe from 1954 to present?

The "squad" doesn't care to mention this

That’s a false equivalency.

Israel has never been a reliable US ally. They’ve spied on us. They launched a nuclear program under wraps. They regularly traffic in acts of terrorism against their neighbors. And they’ve effectively put Palestinians in ghettos and surrounded them with walls and an apartaid political arrangement. Every year, Israelies mow down Palistinian ghetto to build more villas for rich isrealis.

Isreal is not a strategic asset either. Indeed, the country has been a very consistant thorn in the side of the US, even to the point of regularly trying to interfere in US domestic politics.

Paul Newman and Eva Marie Saint may have played Israeli freedom fighters in an American movie once. And that, I’m absolutely sure is the notion that many people have of Israel.

But the real Isreal is a rogue state, the home of Netanyahu and brutality.

That’s a false equivalency.

Israel has never been a reliable US ally. They’ve spied on us. They launched a nuclear program under wraps. They regularly traffic in acts of terrorism against their neighbors. And they’ve effectively put Palestinians in ghettos and surrounded them with walls and an apartaid political arrangement. Every year, Israelies mow down Palistinian ghetto to build more villas for rich isrealis.

Isreal is not a strategic asset either. Indeed, the country has been a very consistant thorn in the side of the US, even to the point of regularly trying to interfere in US domestic politics.

Paul Newman and Eva Marie Saint may have played Israeli freedom fighters in an American movie once. And that, I’m absolutely sure is the notion that many people have of Israel.

But the real Isreal is a rogue state, the home of Netanyahu and brutality.

Even the best of U.S. allies spy on us. Always have.

And I wouldn't call most Israeli settlers "rich" by any measure.

AOC, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida Tlaib struck down the funding for Israel's defensive Iron Dome system -- and for what? Because it's a defensive system that saves lives from incoming missiles that would otherwise take lives.
Translated .. Is this group antisemitism? Where is the outrage?

BS!
The country has an advanced economy and the Iron Dome has been developed in israel. They are more than capable of covering the cost from their own taxes. In essence, we subsidize their economy.. As I said, such foreign help should be used to help Haitians to replace their houses.
oh so NOW you guys want to get our allies to fund their own stuff, unlike the UPROAR you all had when Trump was trying to do that and we were "losing nato allies!"

that isn't defunding it, it is just requiring them to use their own money, instead of ours.

MAGA wants many jews and christians to die at the hands of hamas in the middle east?

Why would they want that? It doesn't seem like they support that. It seems like, it's the progressive democrats that want that to happen.
why would they die? Is Israel not capable of funding their own defense?

that isn't defunding it, it is just requiring them to use their own money, instead of ours.
It is politically an asinine thing to do just the same.

Ihan Omar is in a +30D district. AOC is in at least a +30D district. Yet they constantly do things that make it very hard for Democrats to win in competitive districts. The damage that they are doing to the country by ushering it what will likely be a wave of Republicans in 2022 - many of them outright fascists and QAnon sympathizers, far exceeds the costs of funding a missile defense program in Israel.

Heh heh heh, I love AOC and The Squad!!
They really tell it like it is re: Israel, and I love that!
BWAHAHAHAHHA, very refreshing!!

More Squad please!!!!
No they don't. They're bigotted anti-semites who hate America.

Back
Top Bottom