• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Voting rights for Robots

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
My friend sent me this article this morning. COW MANAGEMENT ROBOTS

I'm using this article because it's the most recent one that has made me think about this topic. Robots, something that I follow with avid interest, are becoming increasingly complex and independent. I've only met a few Robots but they ha at least a much personality as the average hyper-partisan - and they smell better.

So, are these Robots citizens? The ones "born" in the US I mean, of course. If these commercial Robots are this clever, I can only imagine the AI that the military is developing. As their personalities increase, will they have rights or will they effectively be slaves?

Also, in the event Robots are granted these rights, which political party do you think a Robot would be attracted to?

I'm using this article because it's the most recent one that has made me think about this topic. Robots, something that I follow with avid interest, are becoming increasingly complex and independent. I've only met a few Robots but they ha at least a much personality as the average hyper-partisan - and they smell better.

So, are these Robots citizens? The ones "born" in the US I mean, of course. If these commercial Robots are this clever, I can only imagine the AI that the military is developing. As their personalities increase, will they have rights or will they effectively be slaves?

Also, in the event Robots are granted these rights, which political party do you think a Robot would be attracted to?

Lets try that on a Pride of lions. :2razz:

No they wont be slaves as the Progressives and Liberals will call them servants. :lol:

Naturally they will be attracted to Republicans and will not want government to control them. ;)

Robots already vote. That's how Obama won.

No they wont be slaves as the Progressives and Liberals will call them servants. :lol:

Naturally they will be attracted to Republicans and will not want government to control them. ;)

Republicans have always been robotic so I agree that this will be the most appropriate party for them.

Republicans have always been robotic so I agree that this will be the most appropriate party for them.

Glad you agreed with the side that has intelligence. That's important for Robots.....ya knows. :2razz:

Robots already vote. That's how Obama won.

Be careful what you wish for......

Am I the only one that's been following the remarkable progress in robots? It's never a headline but there are amazing developments like thousands of tiny helicopters that communicate with each other traveling fractions of an inch apart.

Talk to me when we have fully sapient, independent robots.

Talk to me when we have fully sapient, independent robots.

Sapient or sentient?

Getting closer and closer to this. Humans will resist because they think they are a special animal but really, we're just animals.

SpeckleTuring

Am I the only one that's been following the remarkable progress in robots? It's never a headline but there are amazing developments like thousands of tiny helicopters that communicate with each other traveling fractions of an inch apart.

Speckle, I'm an admirer of Marvin Minsky, a cognitive scientist in the field of artificial intelligence, co-founder of Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Artificial Intelligence laboratory. Minsky has made a lot of contributions to AI, cognitive psychology, mathematics, computational linguistics, robotics, and optics. In recent years he has worked chiefly on imparting to machines the human capacity for commonsense reasoning.

In 1951 Minsky built the SNARC, the first neural network simulator. His other inventions include mechanical arms, hands and other robotic devices, the Confocal Scanning Microscope, the "Muse" synthesizer for musical variations.

He once wrote an article on what brain processes was necessary for a baby to observe an object on the floor and all of the brain processes it took for the baby, who was sitting next to the object...to simply pick it up. Pages...of processes to describe that simply act.

He's got a couple of books out. One is "The Emotion Machine"...and the other is "The Society of Mind". They're both basically how the mind works. But an interesting thing that Minsky once said in an interview, I think in "Scientific American" that he believes that it's possible that humans are quite possible a form of artificial intelligence.

Robotics...very interesting. Well, really has you've describe it, "amazing".

MMC...come on, now. We've never had political party who hasn't been actively involved in growing government. And that certainly includes the Republicans. Both parties have left records of proliferating government that's a mile long.

Yeah, I know, that's been the Republican's mantra for eons, but there's not a shred of evidence that that really mean it. Not even the attempt by the Republicans to repeal OBcare...would reduce the size of government. Medicare and Medicaid are ran by private insurance companies.

IIRC, sentience is the state of having senses, being able to react to them. Sapience is the ability to think. Abstractly, again IIRC.

Historically, the "Turing Test" has 2 aspects. First is self-awareness. I've heard claims that animals (cats in my case) are not self-aware. Yet, when my Black Cat PuBare gets a haircut (about 4 times a year), he admires himself in the mirror for the next week or so. So, I contend he is self-aware. All of my cats seem to know their names and will come when I call them if I call their name, then meow, then their name again. I impress visitors by calling them downstairs one by one in any order chose randomly by my visitor. So, there is potential right there. Now, if these cts had all the data in the world in there somewhere, it seems to me they could be on the verge of self-awareness.

The "Turing Test" is when an AI is "interviewed" and the answers are indistinguishable from a human answer.

Speckle, I'm an admirer of Marvin Minsky, a cognitive scientist in the field of artificial intelligence, co-founder of Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Artificial Intelligence laboratory. Minsky has made a lot of contributions to AI, cognitive psychology, mathematics, computational linguistics, robotics, and optics. In recent years he has worked chiefly on imparting to machines the human capacity for commonsense reasoning.

In 1951 Minsky built the SNARC, the first neural network simulator. His other inventions include mechanical arms, hands and other robotic devices, the Confocal Scanning Microscope, the "Muse" synthesizer for musical variations.

He once wrote an article on what brain processes was necessary for a baby to observe an object on the floor and all of the brain processes it took for the baby, who was sitting next to the object...to simply pick it up. Pages...of processes to describe that simply act.

He's got a couple of books out. One is "The Emotion Machine"...and the other is "The Society of Mind". They're both basically how the mind works. But an interesting thing that Minsky once said in an interview, I think in "Scientific American" that he believes that it's possible that humans are quite possible a form of artificial intelligence.

Robotics...very interesting. Well, really has you've describe it, "amazing".

Thank you. I'll go forth bravely to Amazon and pick these books up. When the Robots come, I shall be ready.

I think he gives humans too much credit:)

Damn. Pricey books. Still....I must know more!

I question the Turing Test. We have computers capable of simulating human interaction to the point that they could almost pass a TT already, but there is no question that they do not even approach the level of sapience of a human being, and probably not even an ape.

I'm not sure what the replacement test is, but "simulation capable of fooling a person" is a poor standard for sapience IMO.

Thank you. I'll go forth bravely to Amazon and pick these books up. When the Robots come, I shall be ready.

I think he gives humans too much credit:)

Damn. Pricey books. Still....I must know more!

Nooo...not really price on Amazon. The Society of Mind in paperback...probably 5 buckitos...and not sure about the other, but it can't be that much.

Well, just my opinion, bit Minsky's work will probably be the base research that'll give robots human mind qualities. I mean really developed robots.

The GOP. Robots fear the Blue screen of death.

MMC...come on, now. We've never had political party who hasn't been actively involved in growing government. And that certainly includes the Republicans. Both parties have left records of proliferating government that's a mile long.

Yeah, I know, that's been the Republican's mantra for eons, but there's not a shred of evidence that that really mean it. Not even the attempt by the Republicans to repeal OBcare...would reduce the size of government. Medicare and Medicaid are ran by private insurance companies.

Heya RM. :2wave: Well I have said.....that when it comes to selling out the country both Parties would. But that the left would do so a whole lot faster than what those on the Right would. ;)

As I hear it, the Japanese are leading the way in Robotics......Even into the aspect of life like Androids complete with facial expressions..

You're essentially talking about nano drones, yeah? If so, our military is using them for all sorts of things.

Heya RM. :2wave: Well I have said.....that when it comes to selling out the country both Parties would. But that the left would do so a whole lot faster than what those on the Right would. ;)

As I hear it, the Japanese are leading the way in Robotics......Even into the aspect of life like Androids complete with facial expressions..

Yo, MMC... :2wave: Yeah, the Japanese are leading the way in Robotics. But I do have to believe that they've used Minsky's research to incorporate into their work thus far. They created some really far out stuff, I agree.

You know a lot of guys can't wait for those life-like robotic gals to be made available.

Yo, MMC... :2wave: Yeah, the Japanese are leading the way in Robotics. But I do have to believe that they've used Minsky's research to incorporate into their work thus far. They created some really far out stuff, I agree.

You know a lot of guys can't wait for those life-like robotic gals to be made available.

I did see a video with them working on the idea of Battle Tech Type Mech. Something one would jump in and control like a ship. Looked like something one would see at an amusement park. But that's the generic one.

I think it would be worse if one couldn't tell the difference with Android Females. Then what about those that want to combine tech with the human body.

Look at the US Army and the Exo-Skeleton. Can make one Jump higher, run longer and faster without tiring. Plus can lift 200lbs from the arms without breaking a sweat. Now they are working on the armor to cover it. Which they say will be bulletproof and able to with stand concussed explosions.

You're essentially talking about nano drones, yeah? If so, our military is using them for all sorts of things.

Actually, the ones I read about were larger and combined had some serious strength so they could transport things. I'm sure there are a million kinds under development but my sense of it is that we are about to have breakthroughs that will, in time, make robotics as ubiquitous as cell phones. In my youth - oh so long ago - a cell phone was sheer Science Fiction. American manufacturing is actually growing - but the jobs are not growing in the same direction.

So, Robots (AIs whatever) are imminent competitors. Soon, their self awareness will grow.

Nooo...not really price on Amazon. The Society of Mind in paperback...probably 5 buckitos...and not sure about the other, but it can't be that much.

Well, just my opinion, bit Minsky's work will probably be the base research that'll give robots human mind qualities. I mean really developed robots.

I was looking at Amazon.com: The Emotion Machine: Commonsense Thinking, Artificial Intelligence, and the Future of the Human Mind eBook: Marvin Minsky: Books which is $15.48 for Kindle. Holding books is too painful for me in my dotage.

Ahhhhhhh....Kindle. Welp, still not an arm and a leg price. I recently cleared out several boxes of books out of one of my sheds. I donated to the Senior Citizen Thrift Center. No doubt that I've got more to deal with.

People my age are total cheapskates and this will be the single most book I have bought for Kindle. Oh, woe is me. :shock:

Books are the new LPs.

Back
Top Bottom