• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Virginia high court rules for teacher who won't use transgender students' pronouns

I guarantee this teacher is crap on many other levels.
That is a great example of why we can't have mature discourse in the U.S. when we talk about politics.

This attitude, that if anyone disagrees with you on a single thing, they are a piece of shit, can never lead to any kind of constructive conversation.

When you take that attitude, you marginalize yourself among intelligent people.

That is a great example of why we can't have mature discourse in the U.S. when we talk about politics.

This attitude, that if anyone disagrees with you on a single thing, they are a piece of shit, can never lead to any kind of constructive conversation.

When you take that attitude, you marginalize yourself among intelligent people.
I didn't say that, I said they were likely crappy teachers in many other ways. When you put words in others mouths, you are generally ignored. At least by me.

No, a professional relationship, means it is exclusively business....not a friendship.

So you have a professional relationship with your garbage collector...?

I think not

A "professional relationship" is between two people who share the same profession

You are confused between this and a "business relationship", a relationship with someone who you do business with.

So you have a professional relationship with your garbage collector...?

I think not

A "professional relationship" is between two people who share the same profession

You are confused between this and a "business relationship", a relationship with someone who you do business with.
I don't have a garbage collector...I live in the country, but if I didn't and had to pay the garbage collector, and have a contract with them...yes, that constitutes a professional relationship.

Here is a reference for you...professional doesn't just include your coworkers or a manager you work for.

I don't have a garbage collector...I live in the country, but if I didn't and had to pay the garbage collector, and have a contract with them...yes, that constitutes a professional relationship.

No you wouldn't

You'd have a business relationship with them if you paid them money. If your county paid them, you would have no relationship at all

A "professional" relationship is between people in the same profession

(and a garbage collector isn't a profession Btw).

Here is a reference for you...professional doesn't just include your coworkers or a manager you work for.

No, a professional relationship can be between any people in the same profession - they don't need to work for the same employer or even reside in the same country.

Your links says:
...a professional relationship is an interpersonal connection between two or more people in a place of business...

This is incorrect on two levels:

1. A professor at a university can't be said to have a professional relationship with the janitor. All parties in the said relationship must share the same profession
(a janitor isn't a profession either Btw)

2. The parties do not have to work for the same employer. A professional relationship can exist between the same professor, and another professor, at a university at the other end on the country, or indeed another country.

No you wouldn't

You'd have a business relationship with them if you paid them money. If your county paid them, you would have no relationship at all

A "professional" relationship is between people in the same profession

(and a garbage collector isn't a profession Btw).

No, a professional relationship can be between any people in the same profession - they don't need to work for the same employer or even reside in the same country.

Your links says:

This is incorrect on two levels:

1. A professor at a university can't be said to have a professional relationship with the janitor. All parties in the said relationship must share the same profession
(a janitor isn't a profession either Btw)

2. The parties do not have to work for the same employer. A professional relationship can exist between the same professor, and another professor, at a university at the other end on the country, or indeed another country.
a business relationship is by definition a PROFESSIONAL relationship....you are trying to confuse yourself, as I have already provided evidence on why you are limiting your definition in error....professional relationship can be defined under multiple categories...not just a peer relationship or manger to employee.

If you think my link is incorrect, you need to take it up with them.

a business relationship is by definition a PROFESSIONAL relationship

Absolutely it is NOT. You are so confused

You might employ a man, one day a week, to mow your lawn or clean out your pool
This is a BUSINESS relationship

But mowing grass and cleaning pools is NOT a profession
QED: You cannot have a professional relationship, with someone who has no profession.

I would go further, you can't have a professional relationship with someone in a different profession
So an art teacher can't have a professional relationship with a dentist.

....you are trying to confuse yourself

No, it is you who is confused
I think it starts with you miscomprehension as to what a "profession" is.

....as I have already provided evidence on why you are limiting your definition in error

I think you also lack a comprehension as to what "evidence" means.

....professional relationship can be defined under multiple categories...not just a peer relationship or manger to employee

No it can't

A professional relationship between two people, is where they share the same profession - eg: two dentists or two teachers.

Absolutely it is NOT. You are so confused

You might employ a man, one day a week, to mow your lawn or clean out your pool
This is a BUSINESS relationship

But mowing grass and cleaning pools is NOT a profession
QED: You cannot have a professional relationship, with someone who has no profession.

I would go further, you can't have a professional relationship with someone in a different profession
So an art teacher can't have a professional relationship with a dentist.

No, it is you who is confused
I think it starts with you miscomprehension as to what a "profession" is.

I think you also lack a comprehension as to what "evidence" means.

No it can't

A professional relationship between two people, is where they share the same profession - eg: two dentists or two teachers.
No, I am not confused at all...and in fact, provided you a link proving that I am not confused....and then you tried to claim that Indeed.com is wrong....good grief. Perhaps, you need to figure out that your word alone, does not make you correct....study some more.

No, I am not confused at all...

Well you certainly look as though you are as demonstrated by your lack of understanding of key concepts
Have you researched what the words "profession" and "evidence" mean yet ?

Do you still think there is no difference between "business relationship" and "professional relationship" ?

...and in fact, provided you a link proving that I am not confused....

No you haven't

No link would "prove" that - another word in which your do not understand seemingly.

...and then you tried to claim that Indeed.com is wrong....good grief. Perhaps, you need to figure out that your word alone, does not make you correct....study some more.

No my opinion alone doesn't make me correct
Consensus of opinion as to what the word "profession" does, not to mention logic:

You didn't answer the question: How can a professional, have a "professional relationship" with someone who has no profession ?
How would a relationship between an art teacher and a dentist be any different from this ?

Can you really not see how a relationship between two brain surgeons, might be somewhat different that a relationship between a brain surgeon and an art teacher ?
Do you understand what "peer" means ? - in the context of "peer reviewed papers"

Two brain surgeons are peers, a brain surgeon and an art teacher are not
QED: the surgeons can have a professional relationship, discuss peer reviewed papers, latest practices etc.
The brain surgeon and the art teacher have no professional commonality.

Well you certainly look as though you are as demonstrated by your lack of understanding of key concepts
Have you researched what the words "profession" and "evidence" mean yet ?

Do you still think there is no difference between "business relationship" and "professional relationship" ?

No you haven't

No link would "prove" that - another word in which your do not understand seemingly.

No my opinion alone doesn't make me correct
Consensus of opinion as to what the word "profession" does, not to mention logic:

You didn't answer the question: How can a professional, have a "professional relationship" with someone who has no profession ?
How would a relationship between an art teacher and a dentist be any different from this ?

Can you really not see how a relationship between two brain surgeons, might be somewhat different that a relationship between a brain surgeon and an art teacher ?
Do you understand what "peer" means ? - in the context of "peer reviewed papers"

Two brain surgeons are peers, a brain surgeon and an art teacher are not
QED: the surgeons can have a professional relationship, discuss peer reviewed papers, latest practices etc.
The brain surgeon and the art teacher have no professional commonality.
there is no consensus of your opinion being correct....it is you alone claiming it is and offering no proof of that fact.

there is no consensus of your opinion being correct....it is you alone claiming it is and offering no proof of that fact.

Yes there is consensus, just that you are blind to what it is. So I'll do my best to simplify it

1. Do you think that a man you employ to mow your lawn, one day a week, has a profession ?
He doesn't
Therefore, how can you have a professional relationship with someone who has no profession ?
You do however conduct business with him, so have a business relationship

2. Do you not see that a relationship between two professionals, in two completely different professions, is totally irrelevant ?
The whole point of a "professional relationship" is that the two professionals share much in common. They are peers and might contribute and assist one another in the same field of study, read the same peer reviewed papers etc
What do you think a peer reviewed paper is ? Do you think a paper on the latest advances in neurosurgery would be peer reviewed by an art teacher or an accountant ?

A relationship between a neurosurgeon and an art teacher is about as relevant, on a professional level, as one between the same neurosurgeon and the janitor
A professional relationship is one between two professionals, in the SAME profession.

Do you really not see how the latter would be more productive and worthy of a distinction ?

Yes there is consensus, just that you are blind to what it is. So I'll do my best to simplify it

1. Do you think that a man you employ to mow your lawn, one day a week, has a profession ?
He doesn't
Therefore, how can you have a professional relationship with someone who has no profession ?
You do however conduct business with him, so have a business relationship

2. Do you not see that a relationship between two professionals, in two completely different professions, is totally irrelevant ?
The whole point of a "professional relationship" is that the two professionals share much in common. They are peers and might contribute and assist one another in the same field of study, read the same peer reviewed papers etc
What do you think a peer reviewed paper is ? Do you think a paper on the latest advances in neurosurgery would be peer reviewed by an art teacher or an accountant ?

A relationship between a neurosurgeon and an art teacher is about as relevant, on a professional level, as one between the same neurosurgeon and the janitor
A professional relationship is one between two professionals, in the SAME profession.

Do you really not see how the latter would be more productive and worthy of a distinction ?
really? A landscaper isn't a profession? Usually someone who mows the lawn also does much more than that...usually they can design your garden, landscape it and lay your watering system as well....sounds like a profession to me.

really? A landscaper isn't a profession?

Define a "landscaper"

If it's just some guy with a shovel and wheelbarrow, then no
If it's someone who's actually studied engineering (load bearing stresses, construction of structures likes retaining walls, boundary fences, fountains, electrical engineering/wiring, etc), earth moving, tree surgery (and the effects of removal etc on existing structures)....then yes
Because a properly qualified landscaper ranks along with highway engineer's work.

There is a world of difference between a guy with a wheelbarrow moving piles of dirt around, and a proper landscaper.

Usually someone who mows the lawn also does much more than that...usually they can design your garden, landscape it and lay your watering system as well....sounds like a profession to me.

Nope, a guy who just mows your lawn normally just does that (plus maybe a little bit of gardening on the side)
He is absolutely NOT a landscaper.

Anyway, you only replied to half of my post:

Do you not see that a relationship between two professionals, in two completely different professions, is totally irrelevant (like that between a brain surgeon and a janitor) ?

The whole point of having a "professional relationship" is that the two professionals share much in common. They are peers and might contribute and assist one another in the same field of study, read the same peer reviewed papers etc
What do you think a peer reviewed paper is ?
Do you think a paper on the latest advances in neurosurgery would be peer reviewed by an art teacher or an accountant ?

Define a "landscaper"

If it's just some guy with a shovel and wheelbarrow, then no
If it's someone who's actually studied engineering (load bearing stresses, construction of structures likes retaining walls, boundary fences, fountains, electrical engineering/wiring, etc), earth moving, tree surgery (and the effects of removal etc on existing structures)....then yes
Because a properly qualified landscaper ranks along with highway engineer's work.

There is a world of difference between a guy with a wheelbarrow moving piles of dirt around, and a proper landscaper.

Nope, a guy who just mows your lawn normally just does that (plus maybe a little bit of gardening on the side)
He is absolutely NOT a landscaper.

Anyway, you only replied to half of my post:

Do you not see that a relationship between two professionals, in two completely different professions, is totally irrelevant (like that between a brain surgeon and a janitor) ?

The whole point of having a "professional relationship" is that the two professionals share much in common. They are peers and might contribute and assist one another in the same field of study, read the same peer reviewed papers etc
What do you think a peer reviewed paper is ?
Do you think a paper on the latest advances in neurosurgery would be peer reviewed by an art teacher or an accountant ?
you aren't required to be an engineer to be a landscaping designer or creator. My brother in law owns a landscaping company. He gets paid about 50 to 80k per job he does....its more than cutting grass...he never got an engineering degree either...nor is it required in his state, but he earns a lot of money so, I would say yeah, he is a professional.

Last edited:
you aren't required to be an engineer to be a landscaping designer or creator. My brother in law owns a landscaping company. He gets paid about 50 to 80k per job he does....its more than cutting grass...he never got an engineering degree either...nor is it required in his state, but he earns a lot of money so, I would say yeah, he is a professional.

Of course you're not, you can just buy a wheelbarrow and a shovel and call yourself one (no formal qualifications required)

But if you want to be regarded as a professional, then you need to undertake a bit of training:

You need to be skilled in botany, building and technology
Learn about structures and load bearing stresses, get skilled at building (with things like fences, boundary walls, retaining walls (made from bricks, stone or timber), gazebos, sheds etc
You need to study the supportive characteristics of tree roots not to mention tree surgery
Growing characteristics of various plants/trees, shade resistant grasses etc
You might even need to know some electrical engineering as well as the installation of water features like fountains or irrigation systems etc

Even then you probably need about a dozen years experience, working in an established landscaping company, to truly describe yourself as a "professional".

Back
Top Bottom