• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vaccines do not kill viruses.

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There is a lot of hype about vaccines and what they do. But one thing people need to recognize is that vaccines are not a "cure," i.e. they don't "kill viruses."

Vaccines are a preparation of either a weakened/killed form of a pathogen (like Smallpox variolation), or a harmless portion of a pathogen's structure (typically the outside coating sans the harmful RNA), either of which will trigger a reaction of the human immune system without propagating the disease. This allows the immune system to recognize the active pathogen, then react to both the initial and then the subsequent exposure by developing and producing antibodies to fight off/kill the pathogen.

However, some people have less robust immune systems than most others, often due to age and/or pre-existing medical issues. There are even a very rare few (due to lack of survivability without drastic measures, i.e. "Bubble Boy") persons born with no immune systems.

There are also other persons whose immune systems are so robust that they are already capable of recognizing such pathogens without "priming" via vaccination, and automatically react to create antibodies. ("Natural" immunes).

Meanwhile, viruses remain capable of mutating inside a host, as they are just little packets of biological information designed for one purpose; replication by using the bodies of more complex organisms.

My point in describing the above? Two current "facts."

1. It is highly unlikely that simply vaccinating everyone will eliminate a virus, due to both natural mutation and the possibility of other forms of hosts re-transmitting it or a variant to humans, and

2. Demanding that the few or the one submit to the demands of the many simply out of "fear" is an irrational response in a self-declared "rational" society.

There is a lot of hype about vaccines and what they do. But one thing people need to recognize is that vaccines are not a "cure," i.e. they don't "kill viruses."

Vaccines are a preparation of either a weakened/killed form of a pathogen (like Smallpox variolation), or a harmless portion of a pathogen's structure (typically the outside coating sans the harmful RNA), either of which will trigger a reaction of the human immune system. This allows the immune system to recognize the active pathogen, then react to both the initial and then the subsequent exposure by developing and producing antibodies to fight off/kill the pathogen.

However, some people have less robust immune systems than most others, often due to age and/or pre-existing medical issues. There are even a very rare few (due to lack of survivability without drastic measures, i.e. "Bubble Boy") persons born with no immune systems.

There are also other persons whose immune systems are so robust that they are already capable of recognizing such pathogens without "priming" via vaccination, and automatically react to create antibodies. ("Natural" immunes).

Meanwhile, viruses remain capable of mutating inside a host, as they are just little packets of biological information designed for one purpose; replication by using the bodies of more complex organisms.

1. It is highly unlikely that simply vaccinating everyone will eliminate a virus, due to both natural mutation and the possibility of other forms of hosts re-transmitting it or a variant to humans, and

2. Demanding that the few or the one submit to the demands of the many simply out of "fear" is an irrational response is a self-declared "rational" society.

Polio was eliminated in the US in 1979 due to vaccines.

Polio was eliminated in the United States with vaccination, and continued use of polio vaccine has kept this country polio-free.

Vaccines slow the transmission of the virus until enough people are protected and the virus slows because it has a lack of hosts. If enough people were vaccinated or have natural immunity the virus might not have time to mutate into a stronger form unaffected by a vaccine.

Polio was eliminated in the US in 1979 due to vaccines.

Has polio been completely eliminated, or is it only "suppressed" as in the USA?

Answer:

Poliomyelitis: Does polio still exist? Is it curable?...There is no cure for polio, it can only be prevented. Polio vaccine, given multiple times, can protect a child for life.​

Vaccines are a preparation of either a weakened/killed form of a pathogen (like Smallpox variolation), or a harmless portion of a pathogen's structure (typically the outside coating sans the harmful RNA), either of which will trigger a reaction of the human immune system without propagating the disease. This allows the immune system to recognize the active pathogen, then react to both the initial and then the subsequent exposure by developing and producing antibodies to fight off/kill the pathogen.

2. Demanding that the few or the one submit to the demands of the many simply out of "fear" is an irrational response in a self-declared "rational" society.

You are obviously an infectious disease expert of some importance....I just want to know:

Are you Facebook Certified?

:LOL: 😂

Has polio been completely eliminated, or is it only "suppressed" as in the USA?

Answer:

Poliomyelitis: Does polio still exist? Is it curable?...There is no cure for polio, it can only be prevented. Polio vaccine, given multiple times, can protect a child for life.​

How many people do you personally know that caught polio and why exactly do you think it's such a small amount?

Vaccines do not cure. They merely prevent. So, if you get shot in the chest, putting on a bullet proof vest will not cure the wound. However, if you had put a vest on, it will have stopped that bullet and prevented the wound. The OP is right-on. Brilliant. Original thought. Of course, it's much easier to get vaccinated then to walk around each day in a bullet proof vest. And many times more people are dying of COVID than gunshots. And you can't put a vest on once a yr for a couple minutes and protect yourself from taking a bullet. And...

Breakthrough infections are very rare in vaccinated people. The more people who are vaccinated the less infections are out there. The unvaccinated are making it easy to spread this ultra infectious variant.

I take it you do not support any type of vaccination then?

Who says that the "demands" of the many is being done out of fear?

Are these conclusions based on rigorous studies, or did you just come up with them yourself?

Antibiotics don’t kill all bacteria either. Should we stop using antibiotics too?

Last edited:

Vaccines do speed up “herd immunity” which, once attained, greatly lessens (or eliminates) a virus spreading within that population (herd). When was the last time you saw polio in the news?

Is there a point to this rant? If enough people vaccinate, we can protect the population. If enough people vaccinate for long enough, we can effectively remove a disease from the human race. There are many diseases that we don't worry about any longer because we've had vaccinations.

No, they aren't cures, but they are preventions. And they work on the statistical aggregate of a population. So an individual choosing not to vaccinate is not just making a choice for themselves, but for the entire population. If enough people vaccinate, you can remove a disease from effectiveness.

Which of those are coronaviruses?

We have plenty of evidence to suggest that if your vaccination rates are high enough, a disease essentially disappears from that society.

What biological evidence would you present to suggest covid can't be controlled with high enough vaccination rates?

It started out with valid true statements about vaccination, but it's a Captain Adverse thread so it just had to turn into a limp-wristed advancement of the Trumpist anti-vaccist menace.

Moronic and false. We have eradicated and eliminated (there's a difference) various diseases with herd immunity. (Distinction being in the extent to which anti-vax idiot-scum end up creating a vulnerable population in which a largely-eradicated disease can once again spread).

smallpox - eradicated
rinderpest in ruminants - eradicated
Most of the world is polio-free, with 140 cases worldwide in 2020
The list goes on.

yes, COVID-19 certainly could be eradicated.

Braying about "freedoms" is just about the dumbest way to push an anti-vaxx agenda. You should no more have the freedom to kill me with a virus than by drunkenly running me over in a coal-rolling confederate-flagged pickup.

Last edited:
We have plenty of evidence to suggest that if your vaccination rates are high enough, a disease essentially disappears from that society.
What evidence do we have from the coronavirus family of viruses?

Comparing Polio to Covid is apples and oranges.

Very few scientists believe we can "eradicate" Covid with vaccines. It's likely here to stay.

Because people aren't getting vaccinated, correct.

What evidence do we have from the coronavirus family of viruses?

Comparing Polio to Covid is apples and oranges.

Can you identify even one virus with a vaccination rate comparable to polio that stayed around in any significant sense, ever in history?

Back
Top Bottom