• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

V8 engine getting 70+ mpg

Ward

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Trident Iceni

After all the preaching I've heard over the years of small cars and small engines being the future of vehicles (if we stay on oil that is) a company has finally answered my prayers. The new Iceni has a 6.6L Duramax engine with a 8 gear automatic transmission, it can go from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, do well over 200mph and will achieve up to, if not over, 70 mpg at 60 mph. Thanks to the diesel engines low-end torque and the cars transmission being geared so high it will turn at a little over 400 RPM at highway speeds. And for you green folks it can run on bio-diesel.

(IDK if this is the right forum to post this in so if I have it wrong move it :2razz:)

Yopu know, not to burst your bubble, but I must've seen twenty stories like this since high school. They never pan out.

Does the engine really get that with just gas or does it get that with gas and several hours of charging a ****load of batteries?

It dosn't use battery's just diesel. It's getting the fuel economy from the torque that diesel engines have at low rpms (they usually max their torque out at around 1800 rpm) and the 8 gear transmission. It's probably not getting the 70 mpg in the city but on the highway the engine will only be turning at a little over 400 rpm's (compared to my 1500 silverado that's running around 1400 rpm) which is what's really giving it the high fuel economy. Here's a good quote from the article if you didn't read it.

“If you cut your engine revs by 50%, you automatically save 50% fuel,” says Phil Bevan, of Trident. “You need a large engine that produces a lot of torque at very low revs in the first place, which flies in the face of everything that is preached about needing small cars to produce good fuel consumption. Our car dispels this theory. A 6-litre engine doing 500rpm is more efficient that a 3-litre engine doing 1000rpm or a 1.5 litre engine doing 1500rpm.”

Last edited:
Although the number seems a bit high, its not all that absurd. A diesel engine in a car that weighs nothing is the probably best way to get good fuel efficiency. I would suspect it might be 70 mpg if you drive it at 60 mph on a perfectly flat road with the cruise control on, but somewhat less on the combined cycle. The article is far too sketchy with details, so I smell publicity grabbing rather than actual claims. Still, it is likely far more fuel efficient than your typical super car. It may well prove popular with the rich who want to be green, similar to the Tesla.

30 years ago Diesel cars were getting 70mpg (ex: Diesel Rabbit). If this was an unleaded V8 engine, I would be impressed, but since it is diesel, I am wondering why this took so long.

75,000 pounds, how much is that in dollars?

and I wonder how much better it would do with a more reasonably sized engine, one that is suitable for everyman's everyday car, instead of a sports car...?

It's okay. Build me a truck or SUV that can haul 1.5 tons on a utility trailer and gets 70mpg, and I'll be impressed.

It's okay. Build me a truck or SUV that can haul 1.5 tons on a utility trailer and gets 70mpg, and I'll be impressed.

Most of the time a personal pickup is being used like a car, commuting or shopping, and if it can get great mileage during those times, we can accept less when actually hauling or towing.

The overdrive tranny was the best thing they ever did for light trucks, and it begs the question, why didn't they do it sooner?
My 73 truck with no overdrive and 3.55 gears got 10-12mpg ALL the time. My 2002 truck with 3.7 gears gets 20 when just traveling, and about 11 when towing 6000 pounds.
I call that acceptable...for now.

Most of the time a personal pickup is being used like a car, commuting or shopping, and if it can get great mileage during those times, we can accept less when actually hauling or towing.

The overdrive tranny was the best thing they ever did for light trucks, and it begs the question, why didn't they do it sooner?
My 73 truck with no overdrive and 3.55 gears got 10-12mpg ALL the time. My 2002 truck with 3.7 gears gets 20 when just traveling, and about 11 when towing 6000 pounds.
I call that acceptable...for now.

Yeah, my v8 Dodge Dakota gets 17 on a long trip, 15 most of the time...a lot less when I'm hauling that trailer. Not bad, but I'd like to do better. I had a v6 before but it just wouldn't haul enough for me.

Yeah, my v8 Dodge Dakota gets 17 on a long trip, 15 most of the time...a lot less when I'm hauling that trailer. Not bad, but I'd like to do better. I had a v6 before but it just wouldn't haul enough for me.

What year dakota? which v8?
My 95 with 5.2L and 3.55 gears and OD trans got 21mpg hiway, at 75mph.
SUPPOSEDLY the new 4.7 v8 does better than the 5.2L magnum, according to Dodge. I have my doubts...

What year dakota? which v8?
My 95 with 5.2L and 3.55 gears and OD trans got 21mpg hiway, at 75mph.
SUPPOSEDLY the new 4.7 v8 does better than the 5.2L magnum, according to Dodge. I have my doubts...

It's a '91. Engine size escapes me at the moment, but it is one of the smaller v8's.

It's a '91. Engine size escapes me at the moment, but it is one of the smaller v8's.

it is a 5.2L, throttle body fuel injection...in 92 they went to an injector for every spark plug....SMPI or something like that...

Now getting a thrilling exhaust note from a diesel engine...that's another story. Who wants a supercar that sounds like a piece of construction equipment?

Now getting a thrilling exhaust note from a diesel engine...that's another story. Who wants a supercar that sounds like a piece of construction equipment?

IDK, I think the sounds from a duramax (truck atleast) when you hammer down on the pedal sounds good. As far as the idling noise of a diesel goes I don't think that would be too "sexy" of a noise for a sports car lol. Which if they increased the size of the turbo on it you'd just hear it whistle going down the straights.

Last edited:
I don't know about V8 engines, but I DO know what works for ME. Here is a picture of me driving my car. Beans, beer, and just one match, is all I need. :mrgreen:

turbofart_2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about V8 engines, but I DO know what works for ME. Here is a picture of me driving my car. Beans, beer, and just one match, is all I need.

Yeah, but how many beers per mile can you get?

I don't know about V8 engines, but I DO know what works for ME. Here is a picture of me driving my car. Beans, beer, and just one match, is all I need. :mrgreen:

turbofart_2.jpg

I'll bet that thing sounds mean when you open the throttle. :lol:

turbofart_2.jpg

no way it passes ANY emissions testing....:roll:

Back
Top Bottom