• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Under God?

SHould kids be able to say "One nation under God"

  • Yes

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No

    Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 3 12.0%

  • Total voters
    25

U.S.Repub1

New member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Do you think that it is ok to say "One nation under God" in the pledge?
 

earthworm

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
5,728
Reaction score
904
Location
Goldsboro,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Progressive
U.S.Repub1 said:
Do you think that it is ok to say "One nation under God" in the pledge?
Absolutely.
And this is one of the many things we cannot allow the atheists to change.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Seeing that the US is supposed to be a secular state with complete seperation of church and state it should not be recited, in particular that not everyone believes in god.

As for it being recited, eh who really cares. It's just as rediculous as the war on christmas rhetoric that Bill O'Riley started in his show.
 

Engimo

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
earthworm said:
Absolutely.
And this is one of the many things we cannot allow the atheists to change.
You're aware of the fact that the "Under God" in the pledge was added in The 1950's in order to separate us from the "Godless Communists"?
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Another idiotic straw man poll. You can say whatever the hell you want when you say the pledge. You can say "One nation under God" or "One nation" or "Heil Hitler" for all I care. But the official wording of the Pledge of Allegiance (if we must have an official Pledge of Allegiance at all) should not include any reference to God.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Are you sure you worded your question correctly?

SHould kids be able to say "One nation under God"
Well, of course they can say it - IF THEY WANT TO. But no one should be forced to say it.

Especially seeing as how we are NOT one nation under God. Not all of us believe in this God character. Some people believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Maybe if it went something more like "One nation under God, Buddha, Allah, all of the goddesses, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster".....that'd certainly be a more accurate representation of what our nation is under.
 

Comrade Brian

DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
1,239
Reaction score
0
Location
NE, Minnesota
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Engimo said:
You're aware of the fact that the "Under God" in the pledge was added in The 1950's in order to separate us from the "Godless Communists"?
Yes I am aware of that, and it was written by either a communist or socialist in the early 1900s, or something like that. I've been to the house where it was written, in Boston.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,894
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Kandahar said:
Another idiotic straw man poll. You can say whatever the hell you want when you say the pledge. You can say "One nation under God" or "One nation" or "Heil Hitler" for all I care. But the official wording of the Pledge of Allegiance (if we must have an official Pledge of Allegiance at all) should not include any reference to God.
exactly.

personally, i liked the old pledge better. the structure flowed more smoothly.
 

jdpworld

Banned
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
no....:( not include any reference to God.
 

JustMyPOV

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I had this really neat trick I used to do as a kid... When I was reciting the pledge, I used to omit 'under god' and nobody was ever the wiser. This whole thing is a mountain from a mole-hill created by the conservative media to outrage the religious right. There's more to being patriotic than memorizing and reciting a bunch of words while staring at a piece of cloth, and many pressing issues that better deserve the media attention provided to this non-issue.
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
90% of the U.S. population believes in a god in one form or another. The original intent of the first amendment wasn't the seperation of church and state in the first place it was to stop the forced worship of a single religion IE the Church of England which Britian ordered to be the official religion of the Colonies and which they ordered the citizenry to pay dues to. I'm like Jefferson while I don't myself prescribe to the divinity of Christ I realize the important role which religion plays in effecting the morality of the citizenry of our Republic.
 
Last edited:

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
90% of the U.S. population believes in a god in one form or another. The original intent of the first amendment wasn't the seperation of church and state in the first place it was to stop the forced worship of a single religion IE the Church of England which Britian ordered to be the official religion of the Colonies and which they ordered the citizenry to pay dues to. I'm like Jefferson while I don't myself prescribe to the divinity of Christ I realize the important role which religion plays in effecting the morality of the citizenry of our Republic.

Jefferson and Madison would both be considered part of the godless-liberal-atheist lobby today, as they fought (unsuccessfully) against even having a taxpayer-funded congressional chaplain. The separation of church and state issues of those days were relatively small compared to the crap that religious zealots are trying to force on us today. Can you imagine the reaction from Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity if a politician today proposed getting rid of the congressional chaplain because it's unconstitutional?
 
Last edited:

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
earthworm said:
Absolutely.
And this is one of the many things we cannot allow the atheists to change.
Why? "Under God" was added to the pledge of allegiance in 1954 by Congress. So it wasn't even part of the pledge to begin with. Why does your desire to keep it in the pledge outweigh my desire to keep the initial pledge as it was--without the words "under God"?

I certainly don't mind kids saying it when they say the pledge, but I don't think it should be part of the pledge.
 

conserv.pat15

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
U.S.Repub1 said:
Do you think that it is ok to say "One nation under God" in the pledge?
Yes, it is OK to say "under God" in the pledge. It is easily Constitutional!
 

cherokee

Devil Dog
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,486
Reaction score
789
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
90% of the U.S. population believes in a god in one form or another. The original intent of the first amendment wasn't the seperation of church and state in the first place it was to stop the forced worship of a single religion IE the Church of England which Britian ordered to be the official religion of the Colonies and which they ordered the citizenry to pay dues to. I'm like Jefferson while I don't myself prescribe to the divinity of Christ I realize the important role which religion plays in effecting the morality of the citizenry of our Republic.

90%? where do you get that number from?
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
conserv.pat15 said:
Yes, it is OK to say "under God" in the pledge. It is easily Constitutional!
If it's so easily Consititutional, then why don't you explain how? Should be simple enough, right?
 

Mikkel

Pragmatist
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
489
Reaction score
0
Location
Cleveland, OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
This poll question was worded poorly. I voted yes because I do think that you should be able to say 'under god' in the pledge if you want to. That's freedom of speech, baby. Conversely, I definitely don't think anyone should be forced to say 'under god' if they don't want to, either.

Personally, I don't care that much. As long as federal funding isn't going towards pledge maintenence or some beurocratic BS like that, it isn't a big deal to me, so long as the spirit remains the same.
 

conserv.pat15

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
If it's so easily Consititutional, then why don't you explain how? Should be simple enough, right?
Yes, it is quite simple... the establishment clause says that Congress can not make a law respecting(many people misinterpret the word "respecting" in this clause) an establishment of religion. Saying "under God" does not establish a religion. Can you explain why you think "under God" is unconstitutional?
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
conserv.pat15 said:
Yes, it is quite simple... the establishment clause says that Congress can not make a law respecting(many people misinterpret the word "respecting" in this clause) an establishment of religion. Saying "under God" does not establish a religion. Can you explain why you think "under God" is unconstitutional?
To put it quite simply, because not everyone believes in this God the pledge speaks of.
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
Jefferson and Madison would both be considered part of the godless-liberal-atheist lobby today, as they fought (unsuccessfully) against even having a taxpayer-funded congressional chaplain. The separation of church and state issues of those days were relatively small compared to the crap that religious zealots are trying to force on us today. Can you imagine the reaction from Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity if a politician today proposed getting rid of the congressional chaplain because it's unconstitutional?
Jefferson and Madison were not the only founding fathers as I recall and Jefferson still knew full well the importance that religion played for the morality of the citizenry that's why he volunteered as a minister at his church which he attended regurally.
 

conserv.pat15

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
To put it quite simply, because not everyone believes in this God the pledge speaks of.
That does not make "under God" unconstitutional.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
conserv.pat15 said:
That does not make "under God" unconstitutional.
Sure it does. It's respecting only a small group of religious individuals....
 

conserv.pat15

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
Sure it does. It's respecting only a small group of religious individuals....
You're misinterpreting the establishment clause and the word "respecting" in that clause.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
conserv.pat15 said:
You're misinterpreting the establishment clause and the word "respecting" in that clause.

How so? These little one liners of yours are getting old and adding nothing to the debate.
 

Vandeervecken

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
744
Reaction score
1
Location
Midland MI USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
conserv.pat15 said:
Yes, it is quite simple... the establishment clause says that Congress can not make a law respecting(many people misinterpret the word "respecting" in this clause) an establishment of religion. Saying "under God" does not establish a religion. Can you explain why you think "under God" is unconstitutional?
It clearly respects establishment of monotheism as the state approved system. In fact this was the entire reason it was added in the 1950's. To have Americans acknowledge the God of the Ahl al-Kitaab on a daily basis.
 
Top Bottom