• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unbeatable GOP 2024 Ticket?

DeSantis/Youngkin

I think they would fly. I think Youngkin would have to accept a running mate role.

That would probably be a winning ticket.

Seeing all the hate already for DeSantis, I guess I was right. Let the demonization begin! I'm pretty sure at this point God could run as a GOP candidate and the left would demonize him. It doesn't really matter anymore, because if the left truly doesn't steal anything in the elections, then the left is due to evaporate and all that will be left of the demoncratic party is the demonizers and nothing else.

Democrats have a short memory. The SCOTUS has pretty much laid out the roadmap for what they are going to hear/decide on in the upcoming term. The Democrats that have been named as possible nominees aren’t very inspiring. If they can turnout in the upcoming elections, maybe it will provide some hope, otherwise it will be a generation before things swing back, imo.

If Biden is out:
Warren
Sanders
Klobuchar
Harris
I can’t see any of these

Sherrod Brown is a new entry, not in the attached link
Roy Cooper don’t know much about him
Pritzker don’t know enough
Buttigieg the DOT thing a little shaky
The ex gov. of Rhode Island, no name yet, I can’t even remember it from the link

The others better get busy……

None of those would work. If the Democrat party were to come back from the brink, a more intelligent pick would be a moderate such as Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema. I don't see them doing that unless they are smart enough to get the message from the coming red wave in the midterms. The best thing that can happen to the democrat party is going back to the JFK Era politics. At this point in time, they are headed off a cliff.

I think you're admitting that you kinda know Ron DeSantis is an asshole.
Today anybody who doesn't worship the leftist elites and blindly follow and execute their agenda is a Trumper, an asshole, a racist, misogynist, and a whole slew of other things. But, anyone who does the nefarious work of the left is a saint. We get it. Honestly, I hope DeSantis doesn't run and stays in FL and at least makes one state worth living in. If he becomes POTUS he will have to to put up with the DC Swamp which by now is almost fully leftist. He will just end up tortured like any other right leaning POTUS. One thing is unfortunately true. When the demoncrats are in power they are hellbent on destroying the country, and when they are not in power they are hellbent on destroying anyone who wants to make the country better. I say let the left steal all the elections going forward (they're gonna' have to at this point) and continue the destruction until the people are so fed up with them that they have to do another american revolution to free themselves from the leftist elites.

Today anybody who doesn't worship the leftist elites and blindly follow and execute their agenda is a Trumper, an asshole, a racist, misogynist, and a whole slew of other things. But, anyone who does the nefarious work of the left is a saint. We get it. Honestly, I hope DeSantis doesn't run and stays in FL and at least makes one state worth living in. If he becomes POTUS he will have to to put up with the DC Swamp which by now is almost fully leftist. He will just end up tortured like any other right leaning POTUS. One thing is unfortunately true. When the demoncrats are in power they are hellbent on destroying the country, and when they are not in power they are hellbent on destroying anyone who wants to make the country better. I say let the left steal all the elections going forward (they're gonna' have to at this point) and continue the destruction until the people are so fed up with them that they have to do another american revolution to free themselves from the leftist elites.
Still in a confessing mood.

Thing is with you actual statist authoritarians, is you announce - trumpet, really - your intentions with these flights of fantastical accusation.

Fetterman has to get his stroke more than a few cycles behind him.
No he doesn't.
All strokes are not alike, sorry.
In fact, the argument can and should be made that each one is quite unique to the person who had it.

In Fetterman's case there was no damage to his brain and his health will continue to improve both with his pacemaker and as long as he follows doctor recommendations re diet and exercise, which he clearly is. A cursory look shows that he's dropped almost eighty pounds in the last year or so especially in the last few months.
The problem stemmed from how his heart works...he is not clogged up with cholesterol or plaques, his arteries and veins are not atherosclerotic and he's automatically not in line for another stroke in the future.

My own mother suffered a stroke very much like his in her early fifties and was also implanted with a pacemaker for the same reason.
Her recovery was a matter of almost nothing and in a few weeks she was back to her busy schedule doing what she loved to do and living a very full life.
How many 89 year olds (photo) do you know who look this hale and hearty?
She made it to age 92 and still had pretty much "all her marbles" when she went out "with her head held high", which is a quote she was known for from time to time.

Albina Italian Restaurant1.jpg

No he doesn't.
All strokes are not alike, sorry.
In fact, the argument can and should be made that each one is quite unique to the person who had it.

In Fetterman's case there was no damage to his brain and his health will continue to improve both with his pacemaker and as long as he follows doctor recommendations re diet and exercise, which he clearly is. A cursory look shows that he's dropped almost eighty pounds in the last year or so especially in the last few months.
The problem stemmed from how his heart works...he is not clogged up with cholesterol or plaques, his arteries and veins are not atherosclerotic and he's automatically not in line for another stroke in the future.

My own mother suffered a stroke very much like his in her early fifties and was also implanted with a pacemaker for the same reason.
Her recovery was a matter of almost nothing and in a few weeks she was back to her busy schedule doing what she loved to do and living a very full life.
How many 89 year olds (photo) do you know who look this hale and hearty?
She made it to age 92 and still had pretty much "all her marbles" when she went out "with her head held high", which is a quote she was known for from time to time.

View attachment 67399921
I'm not talking health. I'm talking political liability. Hence the word cycle.

My wife's father made it to his mid nineties, and came all the way back from a stroke, too

But there is no way the running dog press doesn't bothsides or but-her-emails Fetterman, no matter how transparent he is or continues to be. I don't like it, but the wishy-washy party-hoppers of the electorate are susceptible to this shit, and I see it as best to keep the chum out of the shark pool right now.

DeSantis/Youngkin

I think they would fly. I think Youngkin would have to accept a running mate role.

Unless the Dems run someone I can live with, I'm staying home if that's the ticket.

I'm not talking health. I'm talking political liability. Hence the word cycle.

My wife's father made it to his mid nineties, and came all the way back from a stroke, too

But there is no way the running dog press doesn't bothsides or but-her-emails Fetterman, no matter how transparent he is or continues to be. I don't like it, but the wishy-washy party-hoppers of the electorate are susceptible to this shit, and I see it as best to keep the chum out of the shark pool right now.

You're arguing messaging.
Guess what, messaging works in all directions and if Team Fetterman does their job right, it won't matter.

That's an almost passable Morton Downey Jr. impersonation.
Do you smoke cigarettes?

LikelyTeemingCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

Do the next one in ALL CAPS with a lot of !!!!!!!!!!!!!'s and I bet you could get hired by a TV network.

You're arguing messaging.
Guess what, messaging works in all directions and if Team Fetterman does their job right, it won't matter.
I just don't see Fetterman as anything other than liability. He has a year to change that profile, if he wins this year.

I just don't see Fetterman as anything other than liability. He has a year to change that profile, if he wins this year.

Surprised you didn't also pile on with the shotgun incident, too.
By the way, the guy he pulled it on actually would prefer he has a successful run for office.

Surprised you didn't also pile on with the shotgun incident, too.
By the way, the guy he pulled it on actually would prefer he has a successful run for office.

Pile on? Nothing of the sort. I like Fetterman, I just don't think he's right for a Presidential ticket right now, and mostly because the media environment makes him a liability.

I don't want Jeanne Shaheen, Elizabeth Warren, anything Clintonite or Cuomo, or Gavin Newsome anywhere near a ticket, either.

Marty Walsh, imho, can bring what Fetterman has, but without the liabilities. I mean, I'll live with whatever is up against Desantian authoritarianism, but I would like Fetterman in the Senate, instead of that seat maybe going up for a dodgy special election.

Pile on? Nothing of the sort. I like Fetterman, I just don't think he's right for a Presidential ticket right now, and mostly because the media environment makes him a liability.

I don't want Jeanne Shaheen, Elizabeth Warren, anything Clintonite or Cuomo, or Gavin Newsome anywhere near a ticket, either.

Marty Walsh, imho, can bring what Fetterman has, but without the liabilities. I mean, I'll live with whatever is up against Desantian authoritarianism, but I would like Fetterman in the Senate, instead of that seat maybe going up for a dodgy special election.

Oh he IS going to be the Senator.
We're talking about 2024.
Look, it's not a guarantee he will even run for POTUS in 2024 but if he does he can count on my vote.
Obama did something similar.
The United States Senate career of Barack Obama began on January 3, 2005, and ended on November 16, 2008.

Fetterman has to get his stroke more than a few cycles behind him.
I don’t think so. In today’s modern political era of polarization, the great divide, the super, mega, ultra-high partisanship, Republicans are going to vote Republican, Democrats for Democrats regardless of who the candidates are. It’s independents that the GOP will have to convince Fetterman’s stroke is a bad thing. I don’t think they’ll pay much attention to it. Now if Fetterman was at the top of the ticket, that probably would be different. But who out there gives an owl’s hoot who the VP is? Fetterman could deliver PA, a swing state.

Independents vote the top of the ticket, not the VP slot. Independents disliked Harris more than Trump, but that didn’t stop them voting for Biden by a 54-41 margin over Trump. They simply like Biden, as a person much more than Trump. Harris, Pence were irrelevant to them.

Sounds great.

But I noticed Trump seems to be gaining steam again. I think the 1/6 hearings might have hurt him but, all the sudden, he's heading back up again. Maybe that Cassidy testimony ended any potential effectiveness of the one-sided committee. I do think it really brought renewed focus to the issue/problem/oddness of the partisan one-sided nature of the committee. Such an odd and out of the ordinary approach. I think many are now feeling like nah, not cool, unfair and doesn't resonate. Anyway, Trump seems to have stopped going down and has reversed course - heading up now.

I was listening to talk radio in my car earlier this week and a discussion of the GOP 24 situation was happening. They were discussing how, if Trump runs, and others get in the race as many expect and hope (e.g., DeSantis, Pence, Haley, Cotton, Pompeo, etc.), it could end up like 2016, where primary votes split between "everyone else" and the dedicated Trump votes were plentiful and united enough to push him across the finish line. I've been thinking about that and I sure think that theory makes sense. There are still so many millions who love Trump. If it was only Trump and DeSantis, DeSantis might be able to pull it off. But, if it's quite a few candidates, I think it's likely advantage Trump.
You are in fantasy land. Trump is taking a beating and lost the narrative. DeSantis is drooling, he can smell it.

And no way will DeSantis and Trump come to an agreement. Trump shares nothing.

Now you know that the moment Trump is off the list and DeSantis runs the entire left will forget all about Trump and start the whole shitstorm demonization campaign against DeSantis. That's all the left is capable of, demonization, and they are damn good at it. Imagine if Obama switched sides and ran, the left would pivot so fast and the first thing they would do is ask where his birth certificate is. Then they would paint him as a racist and a misogynist. Then blame gas prices on him and accuse him of colluding with Russia. And to push it over the top they will accuse him of eating baby pandas. That is how the left works. It doesn't matter who the right runs, they will become the next "worse than Trump."
oh no!
how awful!
the democrats would campaign against the GQP nominee
that's not fair!

it never happened before [/s]
tough shit!!

and any republican who offers any criticism of tRump is a RINO

isn't that correct, Congresswoman Cheney?

You are in fantasy land. Trump is taking a beating and lost the narrative. DeSantis is drooling, he can smell it.

And no way will DeSantis and Trump come to an agreement. Trump shares nothing.
I would have agreed with you about the Trump beating and DeSantis rise, just a week ago. In fact, it was rather dramatic. But then, just as fast as that happened, back came Trump, in Predictit. This is a 30 day chart of who will win the 2024 election. We'll see where this and the polls go from here, but as of today, Trump's beating seems to be evaporating.

Screenshot 2022-07-03 161833.png

I would have agreed with you about the Trump beating and DeSantis rise, just a week ago. In fact, it was rather dramatic. But then, just as fast as that happened, back came Trump, in Predictit. This is a 30 day chart of who will win the 2024 election. We'll see where this and the polls go from here, but as of today, Trump's beating seems to be evaporating.

View attachment 67400005
Really it's so soon to make any prediction. As we both are aware quite often the canidate in the early lead often is left in the political dust by Super Tuesday.

Some of you will look at comment 71 and say - "that's just the betting market, who cares". But I think in all the recent GOP primary polls I've heard about, Trump comes out on top by a bunch. DeSantis typically comes in in second place but usually way behind Trump.

Really it's so soon to make any prediction. As we both are aware quite often the canidate in the early lead often is left in the political dust by Super Tuesday.
Agreed, it's early.

But it sure seems hard for anything to stop Trump's strength. Two impeachments, the 1/6 committee, a strong potential candidate in DeSantis, a pretty darn solid GOP bench - yet Trump just seems to keep knocking down obstacles. I really like DeSantis and I would love to see him as the nominee but I'm not sure Trump is out of this - by his own choice/decision, by Republicans who don't like him, or by tremendous Dem efforts to try to beat him down and push him out. I was just discussing it with DH today and we agreed it's pretty much up to Trump. If he wants to run, he'll be a contender and as much as Dems want to think he could never win the general, I just don't know about that.

Agreed, it's early.

But it sure seems hard for anything to stop Trump's strength. Two impeachments, the 1/6 committee, a strong potential candidate in DeSantis, a pretty darn solid GOP bench - yet Trump just seems to keep knocking down obstacles. I really like DeSantis and I would love to see him as the nominee but I'm not sure Trump is out of this - by his own choice/decision, by Republicans who don't like him, or by tremendous Dem efforts to try to beat him down and push him out. I was just discussing it with DH today and we agreed it's pretty much up to Trump. If he wants to run, he'll be a contender and as much as Dems want to think he could never win the general, I just don't know about that.
I do sense, the longer Trump continues the big lie, it looks like he is stuck in the past.

Polls show his party wants to move on, Trump himself not so much. For DeSantis that is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom