• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.N. Panel Issues Stark Climate-Change Warning

I clearly did challenge you with the links I provided. You claimed China's pollution was growing, I showed you it was decreasing. How hard was that to figure out from my post?
Then there's this...
Being number two is easily ignored, right?
Um ... allowing for calling CO2 a pollutant, which is strange in and of itself, the chart at your own link shows China's CO2 is highest and is growing ... and that of the US has been going down.
Don't you read your own stuff before posting it? It wasn't very long ... or informative.
And "the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere broke all records in the history of humanity." ain't a big deal given the relative history of humanity ain't very long (maybe around 200,000 years) and in the history of the earth CO2 has been much much greater.
And "the concentration reached 407.8 parts per million (ppm) in 2018, which represents almost a 47% higher level than the pre-industrial period, before 1750."
Year 1750 was still recovering from the Little Ice Age so that stat, while clever in it's deception, is useless.

How much (ball park), has the Montreal Protocol cost you in raised taxes over the thirty years since it was enacted? You don't know and it probably never even crossed your mind to find out.
And who cares? They use "climate change" to raise taxes and increase government power. That is the goal, climate change is only a vehicle to get it done, they couldn't care less about the actual climate.

So, I take it, you are among the mindless drones who accept that:

1. Mankind will unite as one
2. Mankind thus united will be able to control and direct the climate of the planet.

Both of these are so ridiculous as to be markers of insanity.
The ridiculous markers in what you listed 1 & 2 is that mankind will unite. I believe that it will never happen, although I wish it would. That's the mindlessness that exist among our civilization.

And that's a false narrative from the left. Who is talking about 'doing nothing'? No one. The problem normally centers around what we can realistically do.
You are. Renewable energy and ending the dependence on fossil fuels always brings out the deniers and flat earth types.

And who cares? They use "climate change" to raise taxes and increase government power. That is the goal, climate change is only a vehicle to get it done, they couldn't care less about the actual climate.
How much has the Montreal Protocol, thirty years since it was enacted, cost you? You don't know, you don't care-you're simply objecting from whatever principle you think applies.
You, once again, demonstrate your ignorance. Every country on the planet (including Reagan's conservative America), ratified the protocol which has demonstrably worked. That's how much we care about the planet. You clearly don't because the possibility of a couple of cents on your dollar is enough to get you outraged and is all that matters to you.
Had the expanding hole in the ozone layer not been addressed we could be looking forward to exponential increase in rates of skin cancer, crop failure from solar radiation, the rapid depletion of the marine food chain and catastrophic climate change. But you don't care because it's all a fiendish global scam designed to separate you from your cash, correct?

Last edited:
You are. Renewable energy and ending the dependence on fossil fuels always brings out the deniers and flat earth types.
Nope. Obviously, you haven't been paying attention.

This is a straw man of the left - not reality.

How much has the Montreal Protocol, thirty years since it was enacted, cost you? You don't know, you don't care-you're simply objecting from whatever principle you think applies.
You, once again, demonstrate your ignorance. Every country on the planet (including Reagan's conservative America), ratified the protocol which has demonstrably worked. That's how much we care about the planet. You clearly don't because the possibility of a couple of cents on your dollar is enough to get you outraged and is all that matters to you.
Had the expanding hole in the ozone layer not been addressed we could be looking forward to exponential increase in rates of skin cancer, crop failure from solar radiation, the rapid depletion of the marine food chain and catastrophic climate change. But you don't care because it's all a fiendish global scam designed to separate you from your cash, correct?
Let me congratulate you on your work closing the hole in the ozone layer. Great job! A bit arrogant, don't you think? You saved the planet!!! The planet doesn't care, because it's doing what is does, it doesn't even know we are here.

Let me congratulate you on your work closing the hole in the ozone layer. Great job! A bit arrogant, don't you think? You saved the planet!!! The planet doesn't care, because it's doing what is does, it doesn't even know we are here.
Possibly the stupidest 'response' you could come up with absent any coherent argument. Congratulations indeed! In 1952, the year I was born, London suffered a killer smog which ended over ten thousand lives. We, humans, caused that just as we, humans, were responsible for ozone depletion. I don't know about you but I want to live in a clean, safe and un-polluted world. Remember the smogs which used to envelope Los Angeles? Sensible environmental legislation means that you don't have them any longer. Your idiotic cartoon character, Trump, playing at 'president', decided that removing environmental protections was a great idea, giving polluters the green light to poison your rivers and air.
Scoff all you like, but you're already seeing the consequences of human-influenced climate change with increasing instances of wildfires, drought and bizarre and extreme weather events around the world. Don't think it's happening? Think again and open your mind. And no, I don't believe addressing issues which affect the planet and its inhabitants adversely is in the least "arrogant". I think the word you were grasping for is 'responsible'.

Good thing Biden is begging OPEC to pump more oil so that more can be burned... that'll probably help...

My onyly concern is how the media over-sensationalizes the issue. In so doing they may be de-sensitivizing people to the seriousness of the issue I say that to with some of the comments we hear coming from non scientists who mean well. You will not scientists no matter how bleak their message avoid sensational tones or fearmongering. Their point is to try tell us there is still much we can do. The problem is deniers pick up on the urgency of certain comments and of course ridicule them.

I believe the people the most afraid of global warming are the deniers and this is precisely why they deny. Its their way of coping with fear of that which they feel they can not control and so they try puff their way out of the danger. We all know how it works. Who me get cancer from smoking? No not me.

I think we need to spend as much if not more time as to what we CAN DO NOW. I know all of you who do not deny global warming don't disagree I just wanted to throw that in because yah it can some days seem like we are done and its too late. We are not done and its not too late.

Good thing Biden is begging OPEC to pump more oil so that more can be burned... that'll probably help...
As I am sure you know its viewed as a way to lower prices of gas and oil to help kick start the economy. Short sighted and based on a lot of panic behind closed doors as to how bad economies are world wide. Well then you come up with a Covid 19 vaccine come on guys let dinitrogeon fuel come onto the market place you greedy bastards.

As I am sure you know its viewed as a way to lower prices of gas and oil to help kick start the economy. Short sighted and based on a lot of panic behind closed doors as to how bad economies are world wide. Well then you come up with a Covid 19 vaccine come on guys let dinitrogeon fuel come onto the market place you greedy bastards.
Yep, Japan has been using hydrogen-powered buses since 2018...
Leave it to the always innovative Japanese to develop responsible and sustainable solutions while the rest of us whine about the price of oil. And no, I don't drive and have never owned a car in my life.

There are certainly good options, if we can get past the screaming. Market driven incentives can make a big impact.

However, while compact countries blessed with access to renewable energy sources like Scotland, Norway, Austria, etc. are good to hear - they don't necessarily apply everywhere.

Maybe that will help - but China also pushes back agains any type of tarriff. It's also beyond the point where we're asking China to 'do their part' - they're the problem. They account for almost 1/3 of the world's pollution and growing, while everyone else is decreasing. It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to address.

Governments have for a long time help to support new technologies there western governments also have spend trillions of dollars on securing the flow of cheap oil from the still very unstable and undemocratic Middle East. While it's in renewable energy you are now seeing great advancements.

There the unpaid global social and environmental cost of fossil fuel is already trillions of dollars a year and that cost will continue to increase as the climate crises get worse.

The diffande is that an carbon tax is based on solid science for the urgent need for action and China other countries can avoid the tax by implementing their own domestic carbon tax.

A real problem is the massive car dependency especially in countries like the US. There people are forced to own a car to get to work and not become isolated. So you need a quick transition towards electric cars like Norway so they will be used electric cars that low income families can afford in a couple of years. While att the same time investments in public transport and bike lanes.

There you can also design a carbon tax like Canada there the tax will be net positive for low income households and a net negative for high income families. While also have initiative to help especially low and working families to implement energy efficient measures.

Possibly the stupidest 'response' you could come up with absent any coherent argument. Congratulations indeed! In 1952, the year I was born, London suffered a killer smog which ended over ten thousand lives. We, humans, caused that just as we, humans, were responsible for ozone depletion. I don't know about you but I want to live in a clean, safe and un-polluted world... blah, blah, blah
Yes, you brought us down to stupid a long time ago. Now run along, I hear there is global warming on Mars that needs to be addressed. How dare that planet warm before we get Democrats there to blame us and solve the problem with higher taxes. You want stupid? You got stupid.

This didn't contribute anything to the discussion the first time you posted it.

You don't believe China is the world's biggest polluter?
When the US, or any other nation, produces twice as many greenhouse emisions per capita as China does, it's hard to point the finger. India, the other big population is something like 10% of US levels per capita.

So, are we are suggesting that those countries shouldn't continue to improve and modernize their citizens lifestyles because it makes it harder for us to meet global emission goals? I guess if they all stay living in the rice paddys we can continue to drive F250's and boats with quad outboards etc?

Emissions are a global problem and those who have been producing the most emissions to create their lifestyles should not be pointing fingers at countries still trying to improve the lives of their citizens when they produce a fraction of the per capita emissions.

Deniers are gonna do what they do best, deny.

The evidence is clear and we’re now beginning to live the nightmare.

Where I live for example, more warm days than ever before with houses built for cooler temperatures and winters in mind and I can’t afford AC, we’re roasting and there’s no end in sight.

On top of that never ending and more extreme wild fires making it hard to go outside.

Deniers are the bane of all mankind as this is only gonna get worse.
Lol

you have AC and of course that’s the fault of evil deplorables. Lol you people are an actual parody.

For now, yup. Decades to come, less likely.

Scientists at NOAA predict that global sea level is very likely to rise at least 12 inches above 2000 levels by 2100, even on a low-emissions pathway.

Sea level rise is driven by the melting of glaciers and ice sheets, as well as water that expands as it warms.

And with higher sea levels comes more frequent flooding. NOAA estimates that high tide flooding not associated with a major weather event - also known as nuisance flooding - is from 300% to 900% more frequent in many U.S. coastal communities than it was just 50 years ago.
Melting glaciers don’t raise sea levels. This is the same grift that’s been promoted for decades and the alleged future consequences have never occurred.

Oregon and California have large fires due to land management policy directed by leftists.
It would be funny that you demand the same people responsible for mega fires in Oregon now run the entire climate? Lol that’s what’s pathetic

Part of the issue is that it's tough to have a conversation about 'what do we do'? Many of the people who cry the loudest, 'we must do something!' fall silent when it comes to specifics. At best you get a vague, 'spend a trillion dollars, as a start' from people like AOC.

Where we're at though, as a country, is moving in the right direction. The US has been steadily cutting emissions while improving productivity and efficiency. Everyone, even conservatives, want a cleaner environment.

The challenge though, that no one seems to want to address, is China. They are pumping out the pollution, with no regards for efficiency or it's impact on the environment.. That's where the UN's focus needs to be.
Too many people make too much money off trade with China.
So it's unlikely we'll sanction China on pain of reduced emissions, let alone something more drastic.

Yes, you brought us down to stupid a long time ago. Now run along, I hear there is global warming on Mars that needs to be addressed. How dare that planet warm before we get Democrats there to blame us and solve the problem with higher taxes. You want stupid? You got stupid.
Yes, nothing that I didn't anticipate. No argument? Resort to sarcasm.

Melting glaciers don’t raise sea levels. This is the same grift that’s been promoted for decades and the alleged future consequences have never occurred.
Right. Try this. Fill a glass with water to the brim to represent the sea. Add ice cubes to represent glacial ice. Does the glass overflow? If it does you have no argument because you are adding more water.

The question remains as to why sea levels have risen, although I'm in firm belief that glaciers /icebergs do contributed to an increasing sea level. Their is a supporting argument that'll you or I may not notice a significant difference before you and I die. What is noticeable in the now are rising temps, fires and droughts. We, globally, need to seriously consider and address this situation to 1) do what we, globally, can do to reverse this unwanted climate trend ; 2) learn ways to globally adapt and cope with what can no longer be changed. imo

Back
Top Bottom